Author Topic: Help - how to create material for tile gradient walls  (Read 10932 times)

2019-08-19, 16:33:17

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!
Need help to create gradient tiled wall material like the one on attached picture - 2 colors of tiles create gradient by different percentage of each color on certain part of the wall. There are many walls with this kind of gradient should have different heights, so manual creating masks is going to take quite much time which I don't have....
I will be very grateful for any ideas how quickly create mask which will control tile colors spreading
Thanks in advanced!

2019-08-19, 19:46:36
Reply #1

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I did a project with a gradient brick wall a while back. Ended up making a few materials with bercon maps/multitexture where each material was the same, just the percentage of maps/count was altered in the multitexture map.

The building was sliced into 8 tiers/floor heights, then the materials were where applied accordingly based off the percentage required for each tier.

2019-08-19, 21:10:09
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did a project with a gradient brick wall a while back. Ended up making a few materials with bercon maps/multitexture where each material was the same, just the percentage of maps/count was altered in the multitexture map.

The building was sliced into 8 tiers/floor heights, then the materials were where applied accordingly based off the percentage required for each tier.

Thank you steyin! Buildings in my project are not so high - 8 floors is maximum. I'll try to use different materials for each floor, as you've done. Hope gradient steps will be not very noticeable.
Thanks for sharing your idea!

2019-08-19, 23:45:56
Reply #3

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, your solution works fine for me in this project. This is what I've got using your method.
Thank you very much, steyin!

2019-08-20, 01:06:03
Reply #4

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Great to see and glad to help.

2019-08-22, 13:41:31
Reply #5

brankonovakovic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think, this is very useful tutorial on this theme.
Regards,
Branko.

2019-08-22, 16:02:11
Reply #6

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think, this is very useful tutorial on this theme.
Thanks for your attention to my help request! I used MultiTexture some time ago, but now I prefer CoronaMultiMap - it has randomization by Mesh Elements option which is super useful for creating objects such as parquet floor with no need to randomize Mat IDs of parquet geometry.
In this particular case problem was to get controlled gradient mix in maps level, keeping original simple geometry of many different walls.
Besides that I'd like to say thanks for the youtube link - it has link to the website where it's possible to download a lot of wooden planks textures sets which are always useful in interior visualization.
Thank you!

BTW, here is my example of using CoronaMultiMap + CoronaUvwRandomizer - there is single seamless wood map was used to create these chairs (actually they are just instances), CoronaMultiMap was used to randomize hue/gamma, and there is not a single exactly the same parts in all of them, doesn't matter how many copies of original chair will be placed in scene. CoronaMultiMap + CoronaUvwRandomizer - is a great tool!
« Last Edit: 2019-08-22, 16:32:50 by Bormax »

2019-08-24, 12:37:36
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I tried to create procedural brick gradient. It's not perfect, but quite usable. I'm attaching scene, in case anyone wants to play with it. You will need bercon maps plugin for scene to work. It is quite possible to simplify shader tree and of course it is very recommended to link maps with control nodes to have more convenient control.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-25, 03:29:07
Reply #8

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried to create procedural brick gradient. It's not perfect, but quite usable. I'm attaching scene, in case anyone wants to play with it. You will need bercon maps plugin for scene to work. It is quite possible to simplify shader tree and of course it is very recommended to link maps with control nodes to have more convenient control.

Hi. Thank you!
Looks great! Would like to try it immediately, but can I ask you to save your scene as Max 2014, please, so I can try it on my home computer during  my next week vacation? Or maybe just show settings of these nodes which do the masking trick?
« Last Edit: 2019-08-25, 03:43:36 by Bormax »

2019-08-25, 10:41:42
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No problem at all.

2019-08-25, 15:13:26
Reply #10

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No problem at all.

That's great!
Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for! I definitely will use it in upcoming projects - it's seems this client likes the idea to using gradient on the walls :)

2023-11-30, 21:47:57
Reply #11

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is it possible to make this but with coronatiles?

2023-11-30, 22:22:11
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
is it possible to make this but with coronatiles?

Yes.

2023-12-14, 22:47:33
Reply #13

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hmm partially because you are mixing 2 colors and that creates multiple shades... instead of mixing 2 colors that creates the gradient based on frequency.

2023-12-15, 00:02:18
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's also possible, but like with Bercon it's not very elegant solution and somewhat limited. Maybe it's possible to improve this setup, but i'll leave it for others to figure out - i don't need gradient bricks in what i typically do :]

Update: i slightly simplified setup and also attached the scene.
« Last Edit: 2023-12-15, 00:15:01 by romullus »