Author Topic: Anyone have any experience using CityGML files?  (Read 1989 times)

2018-05-02, 17:22:23

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I've been looking to get into this as a means of creating/updating the NYC massing my office uses, especially since nyc.gov has GIS, etc., info available publicly and has its own model for download (dgn/esri/gml formats). There is also the TUM study available (which is huge in size).

The issue is I have little understanding of how to properly use these files. I have managed to open some of the gml files in FZK Viewer, in which I can export them to stl and open in MAX. I was wondering if there is a better solution, such as using FME, 3D City DB or something else. Basically looking to, in the simplest means, convert the dgn/gml files to obj/fbx. I've tried the dgn format from nyc.gov in CAD, however it imports as polylines and not surfaces/3d solids.

Also if anyone knows how to just use OSM data and where to import it to as to convert it to 3D (utilizing JOSM/OSM2 World, etc).

Any insight/advice would be helpful and much appreciated.

2018-05-03, 00:57:28
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did the same thing you are looking to do (except I only needed to get midtown, central park, and surrounding areas) . I ended up using the FME desktop demo to convert the Citygml files into 3ds. It took awhile to figure out which file corresponded to each area, but it worked fine in the end.