Author Topic: quiestion about strange glass object...  (Read 900 times)

2022-07-31, 22:12:39

Snoopymorzsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
why does the ashtray look strange on the table without any shadow or something....?
its just a simple glass material, nothing fancy
when I put something made from glass on any surface, its always weird...why is that?

thank you, guys.

2022-07-31, 22:34:52
Reply #1

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try enabling the the Caustics Solver in Performance tab, and also in the material (for refraction).

2022-07-31, 23:14:36
Reply #2

Snoopymorzsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it works! :)

thank you!

2022-08-01, 14:43:35
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Also for the objects like that ashtray you really want to enable absorption.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-01, 17:31:43
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is intended or not, but this render generally lacks realism. The phone, the alarm clock, the curtain, they all look very plasticky. Adding some details such as roughness maps would probably help. Also, the lighting could be better. Right now most (all?) of the shadows are being case in one direction, away from the camera. This makes the scene appear a bit like an interior photo with camera flash enabled.

The shadow of the ashtray is behind it, that's why it looks photoshopped in place. I would try enabling some absorption as Romullus mentioned, maybe adding a bit of scratches using roughness textures, maybe even try with the GGX tail option (https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4954436712337) to make the ashtray appear more imperfect. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us