Author Topic: Corona Light object VS illuminating surfaces  (Read 9651 times)

2019-10-29, 15:12:28

derekjackson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, just installed Corona and it seems amazing so far - thanks so much!

I'm about to start introducing lots of interior lights to a large model. My usual AC workflow (Maxwell / CineRender / etc) is to model light objects and use emitting surfaces to generate light.

Should I be doing this in Corona too? Or is the Corona Light object a better bet? I'd like good control over light colour and intensity without adding to rendering time.

Any advice appreciated!
--------------------

www.lsiarchitects.co.uk
derekjackson.artstation.com

2019-10-29, 16:59:54
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona Light and an object painted with Corona Light Mtl are exactly the same thing in terms of speed and quality.
Self-illumination is something else. It's basically an object generating faint light in a similar way to how GI is calculated.
There is also Light Mtl with "emit light" option disabled, which is just the visible glowing part, which does not cast any light.

See: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515603
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-10-29, 17:36:11
Reply #2

derekjackson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru. I can't see an option in the ArchiCAD Surface palette for a Corona Light Material - only Self Illumination. Where do I find it?
--------------------

www.lsiarchitects.co.uk

2019-10-30, 08:38:46
Reply #3

alexhajdu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • SW engineer - ArchiCAD
    • View Profile
As you can see on the screenshot - Corona light in AC (left) is the same as the Corona Light material in 3DS Max (right).
But yes, it's not a surface, so you are not able to apply it on your geometry and you have to go with the preselected basic geometry primitives to emit light. I can imagine we can parse custom geometry and use it as a light emitting object in the future.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-30, 15:09:43 by alexhajdu »

2019-10-30, 18:00:27
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, I didn't notice it's Archicad section! :)

2019-10-30, 22:31:03
Reply #5

derekjackson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks both. So to clarify, the only lighting option for ArchiCAD users is the CoronaLight object? It can't be achieved through surfaces?
--------------------

www.lsiarchitects.co.uk

2019-10-31, 03:49:04
Reply #6

spr0ckets

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can just use ArchiCAD light(or lamp) objects with the IES option or IES files loaded.

The Corona plugin renders those just fine and as accurate as the IES light information is.
The only tricky part would be getting a good IES library of different light types but you can find plenty of sources for those on the internet and with light manufacturers.

It's a little bit less flexible than using a custom geometry with a light material or a (Corona) light object with all the properties enabled and working properly, but it works fine in most situations.

2019-10-31, 08:27:37
Reply #7

alexhajdu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • SW engineer - ArchiCAD
    • View Profile
@Maru - no problem, you did well. The help is more than appreciated :)

Like @spr0ckets says, you can use standard AC lights from the library. I just made a little comparison between Max and AC as I find that as an interesting insight.

To sum this up, you have 2 options right now. Both are perfectly fine, having their pros and cons and can be used complementary.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-31, 14:31:07 by alexhajdu »

2019-10-31, 10:31:04
Reply #8

derekjackson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Excellent, thanks all.
--------------------

www.lsiarchitects.co.uk

2019-10-31, 15:01:18
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona installer also comes with a few IES files - https://corona-renderer.com/download
You don't need a Corona license for this. :)