Author Topic: SSD vs. HDD for data  (Read 2632 times)

2019-12-18, 14:05:34

Roman Divoky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hi guys,
I have 2TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD and 2TB classic HDD (7200rpm).
It's better to have assets, textures, HDRIs, ..etc. on SSD and work data (max files, PSDs, ...) on HDD? Or is it better to do it in the opposite way?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Roman

2019-12-19, 11:03:20
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
From my layman's point of view, i think that for SSD longevity it would be better to have assets on SSD and working files on HDD, but if you're looking for performance, it might be better to have reverse setup.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-12-19, 11:25:27
Reply #2

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would actually store all that you just said on the ssd and just use the HDD for backup. My advise to you would be to get an additional sata ssd and keep your assets there and asseted on the ssd. While keeping the projects files, psd's of the project files on the nvme and use the HDD for storing finished projects.

2019-12-20, 15:47:59
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
To strictly answer question as is: you will get better performance by storing assets on SSD than projects. Random Access can be felt more easily than reading/writing of 1GB single files, most of which are delayed by 3dsMax, not drive performance.

But in more general way, I would forget that HDDs existed for any direct use outside of Backup.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!