Author Topic: Interior scene with no windows/openings  (Read 3776 times)

2015-06-10, 10:34:17

redlad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am working on a set that is cylindrical in shape. It doesn't have any windows or openings to let'exterior' light in.

I am quite happy with the lighting, it is kind of a dark and quite contrasty lighting setup. Just one thing is bothering me, the darks and heavily occluded area mainly are rendering very dark. I know it's probably physically correct and all of that, but was just wondering did any of you work on anything similar and needed to get more 'ambient' light into the scene.

I was experimenting with making the main walls not cast shadows, and pumping in some environment light (in the Corona scene environment) and it looks kind of OK, but it's not really ideal and is something I would rather avoid. Another thing is - we can of course lift the shadows slightly in Nuke but that can only do so much.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.

2015-06-10, 10:57:48
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It would really help a lot if you could post renders/screenshots - it's hard for me to imagine your scene. Disabling walls shadow casting and letting enviro light in is an absurd idea in my opinion. I think you should make your wall materials brighter or change exposure settings. You may also try increasing max sample intensity in render settings, but it will make your rendering slightly slower.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-10, 10:59:17
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
In general, you can just raise exposure and increase HL compression at the same time. You will get image with less contrast, therefore more light in shadowed areas :)

2015-06-10, 16:24:49
Reply #3

redlad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would really help a lot if you could post renders/screenshots - it's hard for me to imagine your scene. Disabling walls shadow casting and letting enviro light in is an absurd idea in my opinion. I think you should make your wall materials brighter or change exposure settings. You may also try increasing max sample intensity in render settings, but it will make your rendering slightly slower.

Hello Maru,

Unfortunately I cannot share any images, as much as I would love to. It may seem like an absurd idea alright, but it didn't actually look too bad :) It's for TV production, and cheats happen quite alot as you know! The nature of the game. It's something I would never normally do that, it's just something I tried. It's not only on the walls that I am getting dark areas, it's kind of across the set, some parts are darker than others like in heavily occluded areas. It is looking cool overall and delighted with the result Corona is giving me, these are just picky things at this stage.

I will have a look at the exposure settings, but wanted to avoid this to let that stuff happen in Nuke. The comp department is separate to lighting on this production.

2015-06-10, 16:44:37
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If you really NEED to disable shadows, please see this:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516723
Sooner or later you will encounter something unexpected when using native 3ds Max switches. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-11, 20:10:50
Reply #5

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
Is it possible to set up 1 or 2 softboxes that just give the room a little more light in the shadows ? as they do in normally photography ?