Author Topic: New displacement feedback  (Read 7286 times)

2015-07-20, 15:35:56
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'll try to conduct more detailed feedback on that issue a bit later.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-20, 18:57:05
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Indeed bercoin noise as well as native noise at default filtering strength works very unreliable as displacement maps. Lowering filtering to minimum seems to solve it.

BTW, got a crash when pluging beron noise in displacement while IR was running. Attaching minidump, maybe you'll find it useful.

2015-07-21, 21:22:43
Reply #17

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Build jul 21
  • Displacement filtering not working. Changing filtering blur affects only subdivision pattern, but displacement itself remains the same no matter blur value.
  • Displacement produces kinda faceted result. See attached pic.

Is it known issues or should i start filling mantis report?

2015-07-21, 21:32:38
Reply #18

hubrobin

• Active Users
  • Light transport ninja
    • View Profile
Hi,

1. We have disabled the filtering in case of displacement to match the old behaviour for now.

2. That looks weird indeed. Can you fill in a Mantis report and provide me with the data?

Thanks a lot,

Robin

2015-07-21, 21:55:42
Reply #19

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Done!

2015-07-21, 22:16:02
Reply #20

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I tried the latest Daily Build with Emily, 1px displacement.
The 1200px render is much more stable, it never goes above 6.2GB RAM (Last daily used 12.2GB) . The precomputing was much faster as well.

But when I try to render the 6000px version, 3dsmax still crashes. My first render test ended with a complete PC freeze, waited for 15 min and took a force shutdown. On the second test I got like 10 windows with "Halt! Exceptiontime!". I waited 15 min but nothing happened, had to force close 3dsmax. I took the time v-ray used to calculate before it began rendering and it was 18 sec, so I could have something to base my waiting time on.
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2015-07-22, 00:01:25
Reply #21

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
were you able to render the 6000px 1px displacement with 1.1?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-22, 00:16:47
Reply #22

hubrobin

• Active Users
  • Light transport ninja
    • View Profile
Could it be that some kind of max subdivisions bound took place in case of vray?

2015-07-22, 02:38:50
Reply #23

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I wiped the scene settings and started over. This time with 4px displacement, going to test with 1px again later.

Both V-Ray and Corona took around 16 sec to calculate the displacement.
Both render engines were stable!
Both render engines were laying around 7.5gb ram.

I couldn't find any subdiv option in Corona Options, have you guys removed it ?
The first Corona render with only CoronaDisplacementMod turned out very low poly, and the skin pores got stretched all over the place. Just look under and around her eyes.

The second Corona render is using MeshSmooth modifier with default settings, I noticed that CoronaDisplacementMod subdivided the mesh by itself when it was above the MeshSmooth modifier. The mesh got less ploys when I turned off the light bulb on CoronaDisplacementMod.
The result looks very good, nice round chin and nose, the stretched pore problem is gone. But the 16k micro displacement map is not showing up because of the 4px displacement.

I have included the render images from both engines (About 10min render time each).

I have also included some screenshots of the settings I used. Remember that V-rays modifier overwrites the default settings.

Good job on the last Daily build guys. Just love Corona :)

EDIT: 1px ended in complete freeze, had to force restart the pc.
were you able to render the 6000px 1px displacement with 1.1?
I haven't tried with 1.1, got the head from wikihuman a couple of days ago.

Could it be that some kind of max subdivisions bound took place in case of vray?
Is it because I can force v-ray to 8 subdivs and 0.001px that v-ray works ? The pore details are so much better this way.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-22, 04:27:28 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2015-07-22, 09:49:23
Reply #24

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Just one quick hint. Vray (as well as Arnold) automatically creates normal map out of displacement map in areas where there is not enough subdivision detail. In Corona, you can do the same by simply plugging displacement map also in a bump slot. Relying solely on displacement to give you 100% of the detail is often nearly impossible.

2015-07-22, 14:56:31
Reply #25

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
There's quite clearly visible line seen where subdivision gets lower when screen size mode is used. In attached picture is shown comparison between world size (left) and screen size (right). Maybe some kind of treshold spinner could be introduced in CoronaDisplacementModifier to allow user to fine tune when adaptivity kicks in?

2015-07-22, 15:03:32
Reply #26

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There's quite clearly visible line seen where subdivision gets lower when screen size mode is used. In attached picture is shown comparison between world size (left) and screen size (right). Maybe some kind of treshold spinner could be introduced in CoronaDisplacementModifier to allow user to fine tune when adaptivity kicks in?

Hopefully not, it's horrifying idea to have spinners for fine tuning bugs. That's probably something to do with filtering. It has been messed with in latest builds. Also, the displacement map used on your picture is prime example of a map where you would not wan't to use adaptivity at all.

2015-07-22, 15:47:50
Reply #27

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well if it's a bug and it will be adressed, than it's even better :]

One more question, though. Why do you guys opted to non smoothed polygons output after displacement? Or it is temporary too?

2015-07-22, 16:33:06
Reply #28

hubrobin

• Active Users
  • Light transport ninja
    • View Profile
It was done the way it had too high memory consumption. I will put in more efficient solution by tomorrow.

2015-07-22, 17:11:24
Reply #29

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well if it's a bug and it will be adressed, than it's even better :]

One more question, though. Why do you guys opted to non smoothed polygons output after displacement? Or it is temporary too?

The new displacement respects base object smoothing. At least the version i tested while ago. Faceted result of your render is caused by bug in Noise map in Max 2015. The exact same scene will render fine and not faceted in Max 2015+. You can also observe same bug in Smoke map, that has not been fixed even in latest 3ds Max.