Author Topic: Corona's SSS behavior with multi/sub-object material and IDs  (Read 8330 times)

2018-02-03, 01:01:18

ujean

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
have an issue with Corona's SSS behavior with multi/sub-object material and IDs (Corona 1.7 hotfix 2, 3ds max 2017)
Creating a sphere, dividing its polygons to ID 1 and ID 2.
Then applying multi/sub-object material to my sphere and assigning two similar materials, one for each ID.
When there are 2 CoronaMTLs with SSS off there is no problem, but when im enabling SSS option the seam appears
at the border of two different IDs. The same thing when i'm applying two similar CoronaSkinMtl to different ID slots.
But there is no seam when i put the only one material for both IDs. See the screnshots.
Also the thickness of the visible seam depends on the radius scale of SSS.

Found a topic at the forum about "C4D Seam Issues with SSS"
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=10364.0
But there is still no answer
The problem is the same, unless i'm using 3ds max.

P.S. Tried to use Vray with its Skin material applied the same way to the same object and there is no problem with it

2018-02-05, 20:03:54
Reply #1

jgalloway@pakglobal.com

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I've seen this problem before in Vray - many years ago.

In Arnold the problem is solved by "tagging multiple objects as belonging to the same SSS 'set' so that illumination will blur across object boundaries"
See here:
https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/SSS+Set+Name
And see the last pict on the left "Without 'shareSSS'".

To solve this bug, we need this shareSSS feature in Corona!!!
[/size]

2018-02-07, 16:59:26
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Thanks for providing that info also to our near-sighted developers ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-02-07, 20:03:28
Reply #3

jgalloway@pakglobal.com

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ha!!! Forgive me. Just overly excited to see this fixed!

2018-02-08, 13:40:56
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think once again this is the case of what should be considered "surface" and what should be considered "volume", and to which of the objects each surface and volume should "belong".
I imagine that having one object split into several material IDs is internally the same as having two separate objects (with the same or different mat IDs, this does not matter). In that case you get exactly the same result. (see screenshot)
So to me the way it works now is perfectly understandable, and I would say it is expected, however I can imagine some typical situations where this is unwanted - e.g. texturing a character.

That said, it is up to the dev team to decide whether this is something possible to improve, and if the required amount of work and time to improve this would be justified.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-02-08, 23:50:09
Reply #5

jgalloway@pakglobal.com

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe you could check with Vlado since you guys are on the same teams now. I know they had the same problem and found a solution for it several years back.

Respectfully, I would add that not solving this issue would be an absolute killer for character animation.

2018-02-19, 20:17:28
Reply #6

jgalloway@pakglobal.com

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just for information, here is a thread where Chaos is tracking a similar problem in Maya using alSurfaceShader.
Looks like they are solving it with surfaceID.
https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/v-ray-for-maya-forums/v-ray-for-maya-general/971650-alsurface-shader-sss-question

2018-05-30, 22:25:31
Reply #7

jgalloway@pakglobal.com

• Active Users
    • View Profile
...That said, it is up to the dev team to decide whether this is something possible to improve, and if the required amount of work and time to improve this would be justified.

Any word yet on if this is possible to improve?

2018-06-13, 12:05:38
Reply #8

babak2127

• Users
    • View Profile

2018-06-15, 14:32:25
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is it fixed in corona v2?
No, i'm affraid it isn't.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-06-19, 17:16:23
Reply #10

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I will leave here solution for the problem because the isue described in both links is not present in corona.

The problem in the links was with using non united object with same material producing artifacts on seams.

The same isue apears in corona with object/objects with different ID but same material or different material but with sss as multi sub material (FIG4)

Inf FIG1 and FIG2 you can see proper material setup for this situation.

Same should be used for 2 non united objects (FIG3) or you could just use one material (for example for liquid particles)

PS - i think this is not a bug but a feature.

---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2018-06-29, 11:22:38
Reply #11

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The solution that I've used for this problem is by masking with vertex colors. You can still have a polygonal selection, fill it with pure white, invert the selection and fill that with black. Then I used a vertex color map as a mask in the corona layered material. The result has no visible seams.

2018-09-23, 14:01:55
Reply #12

VicsArt

• Users
    • View Profile
There is one way to make it without seams. Corona multiMap. Its helps me to render character from Daz without seams.

2018-09-24, 18:46:20
Reply #13

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I see you are using standard Max bitmaps to try and use UDIM tiles with a Multimap. But can use CoronaBitmaps with a CoronaMultiMap if you set your face ID's on your object the same integer as on the CoronaMultiMap (easy to do in an Unwrap modifier). That way you don't have to use standard Max bitmaps loaders anymore.