Author Topic: Issues when putting a UVW Randomizer upstread from a Triplanar map  (Read 2499 times)

2020-12-21, 23:48:02

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
Earlier, I was having some scaling issues when I put a UVW randomizer upstream from a Tri-planar map (I was using a real-world size for my map). I had the UVW randomizer set to randomize tiling. The issue was gone when I swapped the UVW to be downstream from the tri-planar map. Is this is known requirement for the UVW Randomizer?

2020-12-22, 12:20:25
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you post some screenshots from the material editor and the results you are getting? That would be super helpful. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-01-04, 16:14:54
Reply #2

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
Could you post some screenshots from the material editor and the results you are getting? That would be super helpful. :)

Yes,

I've uploaded two images. The first is with the UVW Randomizer placed after the Corona Triplanar component (on each map, diffuse, reflection, bump, and displacement). The second is with the UVW Randomizer placed before the Triplanar component. As you can see in the second image, having the UVW Randomizer before the triplanar results in a spotty appearance.

All of the setting in each of the UVW randomizer and triplanar components are the same. The randomizer is set to a range of 0 to 1 on U and V, and W is set to 0 to 360. The scale of the triplanar component is set to 1" which is the default unit of this particular 3dsmax file.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-04, 16:19:01 by John.McWaters »

2021-01-11, 17:52:43
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Reproduced and confirmed. I am pretty sure this is expected, because the UVW Randomizer operates on the UVWs and the Triplanar map ignores the UVWs completely, but maybe we can improve it. What would be the expected result here? Both cases should produce the same result?

1) Bitmap > UVW Randomizer > Triplanar > Material
2) Bitmap > Triplanar > UVW Randomizer > Material

2021-01-11, 18:39:40
Reply #4

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
Reproduced and confirmed. I am pretty sure this is expected, because the UVW Randomizer operates on the UVWs and the Triplanar map ignores the UVWs completely, but maybe we can improve it. What would be the expected result here? Both cases should produce the same result?

1) Bitmap > UVW Randomizer > Triplanar > Material
2) Bitmap > Triplanar > UVW Randomizer > Material

Hi Maru,

Thank you for looking into this. I could be wrong, but I believe in Corona Render 5, it didn't matter the order you put them in.

2021-01-12, 10:42:24
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am getting identical results in V5 and V6 (with some minor difference where the texture is offset a bit):
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/hSXSN2
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/TufrkH

2021-01-14, 10:01:32
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

I can confirm what Maru described. This behaved the same in V5. I have however created a report to see if this can be improved somehow.

Cheers,

Rowan.

(Report ID=CRMAX-184)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!