Author Topic: Real Snow shader  (Read 7142 times)

2018-03-26, 11:25:23

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
Hi !
I'm trying to re create this shader, made into Maya...

I'm working with 3DSMAX & Corona, and can't get the same result, just the step 2....

Any idea to get the 3 last steps working ? With Max procedural maps of course ;)
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr

2018-03-26, 14:27:39
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Looks like the only thing needed here is the noise map.
All the rest also seems perfectly possible to do in Corona + 3ds Max.
They used the displacement noise map to drive reflectivity (so that the small sparkles appear). You can do the same thing using a layered mtl (another layer of reflective material, then masked with the noise map) or by just mapping the reflection glossiness.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-26, 14:52:58
Reply #2

gpz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
can you post your result and also a screenshot of your material set up in slatemode?

thx

2018-03-26, 15:36:12
Reply #3

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Ludvik made a pretty nice one here some time ago: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=9691.0
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-03-26, 19:13:34
Reply #4

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
can you post your result and also a screenshot of your material set up in slatemode?

thx

hey guys !

Actually, just a simple noise map in displacement slot, and some volumetric scattering.
It does the job pretty good, even in long distance. It uses 16 Gb of RAM in 4K x 3K rendering.

I will lokk tho nico's link, it looks badass ! :)
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr

2018-03-27, 05:12:05
Reply #5

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
sorry, a little bit off-topic. Maru, do you have a plan to add snow material and some of related mtls (sand) to Corona Material Library?

2018-03-27, 11:46:05
Reply #6

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
Ludvik made a pretty nice one here some time ago: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=9691.0

Ok great for this shader, except I want to do it full procedural with max or Bercon maps...

Main problem is to get an efficient very fine noise map. I also tried with Speckle one, but it doesnt work.
When Main large noise (my example) is mixed with a tiny one, it take over the large one even when playing with the High and Low parameters...
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr

2018-03-28, 06:33:49
Reply #7

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
The skin shader seems to be a really good choice for this as it comes closest to the Arnold standard shader. Multiple spec channels and direct control of color lengths.

edd: did a quick test. Some things still have to be adjusted. However, it's much simpler than layering either inside the channels or using the layer shader, + the three scattering options are pretty good to define the low and high-frequency noises. It's easier to change the look, from icy or powdery to wet while maintaining details that might change too drastically with only one scatter channel.
« Last Edit: 2018-03-28, 17:58:11 by Eddoron »

2018-03-28, 10:41:27
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
sorry, a little bit off-topic. Maru, do you have a plan to add snow material and some of related mtls (sand) to Corona Material Library?
I remember there was a plan for the snow material, not sure about sand, but it is a good idea.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-03, 11:18:31
Reply #9

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
The skin shader seems to be a really good choice for this as it comes closest to the Arnold standard shader. Multiple spec channels and direct control of color lengths.

edd: did a quick test. Some things still have to be adjusted. However, it's much simpler than layering either inside the channels or using the layer shader, + the three scattering options are pretty good to define the low and high-frequency noises. It's easier to change the look, from icy or powdery to wet while maintaining details that might change too drastically with only one scatter channel.

Hi ! Can you share it plz ? :)
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr