Author Topic: Sun and Sky  (Read 2565 times)

2021-06-15, 17:14:51

CJRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can someone please explain what exactly happens when you have the sun linked to the sky like this? It doesnt change the direction or values to match the sun so what exactly is its purpose? or is that its purpose and it just doesn't work? screenshot attached to show what I mean. Terminology is not my strong suit.

2021-06-15, 17:27:42
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The sky changes based on the sun - raise the sun to noon and the sky changes compared to lower the sun to or below the horizon. The angle of the sun makes a difference too, since the sky changes color near to the sun, and where that happens will depend on the angle of the sun.

You can have more than one sky and more than one sun, with each sun affecting a different sky, then you can turn those suns and skies on and off in LightMix, so you can set up your dawn, noon, afternoon shots in just one render.

Works fine here, would need to see an example of what you mean by it not working :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-06-15, 17:32:15
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Like this

Sun rotation of 444, sun is to the left of the image, sky brightens around the area of the sun.

Sun rotation of 374, sun is to the right of the image, you can see the effect in the sky has moved

Sun angle of 8, we've lowered it down toward the horizon from the default 45, we are now in a dawn/evening, color of the sky totally different.

2021-06-15, 17:34:12
Reply #3

CJRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the issue is that I dont use HDRIs in my sky so I dont see much change when the sun direction is changed. Its never been an issue but Ive got some freetime today so I decided to look into it. I appreciate the clarification!

EDIT : I see your example doesnt use an hdri so my above statement doesnt really matter. I'll play with this and see what kind of changes I do notice on my interior scenes. Sorry for my lack of knowledge lol

2021-06-15, 17:36:36
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This doesn't work with HDRIs, only with the procedural sun and sky :) HDRIs tend to have the sun in them already, and there is no way to tell where that is, so no automatic linking possible.

2021-06-15, 17:39:09
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Since you say you are NOT using HDRIs, I'd still be interested in seeing the results you get, since this works perfectly for me and always has - a different sun angle and position (set in the sun's parameters, not by moving it around in the scene) will produce dramatic differences in the Sky it is linked to.

2021-06-15, 17:42:26
Reply #6

CJRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I posted a few of my images in the gallery section yesterday. Id actually really love some deep criticism from people that actually know what theyre doing.

I've never had any schooling other than youtube, and about 2 years of mentorship under the person that did this work previously for the company.

2021-06-15, 18:04:50
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
YouTube is a great place to learn :)

2021-06-15, 18:20:49
Reply #8

CJRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I dont do exterior renders so I've been able to get away with a lot haha. Youtube and cineversity have been my go to for tutorials and and guides. I think I do a really good job for my background and what little I know but ofcourse we all want to know more! Appreciate it man

2021-06-15, 19:53:02
Reply #9

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome!