Author Topic: zoom out IPR  (Read 6079 times)

2020-02-19, 18:18:27

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

i am not sure but it seem sit is not possible tozoom out the corona ipr.

at least i see no way to do this here.

either i over see some or of this is really missing i post this as urgent feature wish to be able to zoom not only in but also out to have it smaller than the set c4d output scale

thanks!
Stefan

2020-02-20, 19:36:10
Reply #1

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
nobody else annoyed by this?  :)

or how you work around it?
atm i use a copy pf the rendersetting with a small output size for ipr use, but thats not a nice workflow after all

2020-02-25, 11:33:33
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I am not sure I fully understand what you mean :) Mind trying to clarify it a bit more? :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-02-25, 12:16:46
Reply #3

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nejc,

we all here in the office have following issues with the IPR use via corona vfb:

1)in c4d output lets say is set 3500px (as this will be needed for more detailed tests).
2)now if we start the ipr feature in the corona vfb the ipr rendering gets started at the full resolution of lets say 3500px.
2) and to see all of the image on my screen inside the vfb, it seems i can only zoom in, but i cant NOT ZOOM OUT. also the "-" button on top of the vfb seems not to do anything.

so i a not sure if i am just to stupid to find the correct method to zoom out(to see the image at 50% or 25 % etc)
or is this really missing?

when i do a final rendering in corona vfb i can zoom out without a problem, the issue is only in the ipr funtion it seems.

thanks for help:)
cheers
Stefan

2020-02-25, 13:39:12
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This one has come up many times on the forum - I don't think zoom out is the solution, since your interactive still won't be very interactive if it's actually rendering a 4K image. It should work the same as Max where it renders to the current size of the VFB I would say, and that way interactive will be nice and quick because it's only rendering an image the size of the VFB.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-02-25, 15:28:54
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Thanks Stefan, I totally know what you mean yeah :) Thanks for explaining it to me!

@Tom
Man, I gotta be honest, I'm not too fond of that solution at all. Say you want to work on a detailed piece from a given camera perspective, with the solution that is currently in 3ds Max that is quite hard because if you are sporting a 1080p screen you are just out of luck in a way because its really hard to scale up from there - at least thats from what I remember, haven't used 3ds Max in a while.

If we had "real zoom" like in F-Storm that would be one thing yeah, no arguments there... But the thing is, we don't :)

Alternatively, and I suggested this in the past, we could implement something akin to how Octane does it in its c4d implementation. Basically, you can lock the VFB to the render settings resolution or you can have it unlocked and you can resize it any way you'd like - and the VFB adapts by changing its own resolution. I think Octane is doing a great thing there with the scaling option as well as you have it a click away and you can go from 2k image to say 2x that with a click of a button. It takes up insanely little screen real estate to have those two buttons but imho it comes in super handy.

Also, even on a 4k screen I think people like to have the IR bigger rather than smaller and if the render speed is too slow you can always region render on the particular material you are working on.

2020-02-25, 15:48:24
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, there are two parts to it, both of which are already noted. The first is that Max works pretty well, as you don't start IR and find your IR is two screens wide, which is totally unworkable, so you need to stop IR, change your final render resolution, start IR.... then you start your final render, and realize it's too small, so you go back to render resolution and set it to final. This is a problem unique to C4D, and super irritating (it's the one thing that gets me every time).

The other, about being able to have a super large render that is beyond the size of the VFB currently doesn't exist in Max either, but that is being looked at with requests for locking resolution etc. There is the problem that if you are rendering a 4K image, IR is going to be that much slower, but if the same functionality of "zoom in and you only process what is currently in the zoom" (which currently happens) is still there, well that could be fine for looking at small details.

The two are different issues, the first I find more annoying as it always happens in C4D no matter what you are doing with IR, making IR somewhat irritating when it should be pleasant. The second is a further improvement on IR in the core overall, not in Max at present, but being looked into (but it still wouldn't resolve the first one :) ).

EDIT PS - I also wouldn't want NOT to have the first solution, of IR resolution is the size of the VFB and always have it at final render just scaled down to fit, as I'd still then have a much slower IR than I would want. Hence, two issues, two things that would be good to see in IR :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-02-25, 20:49:06
Reply #7

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i imagine the simplest solution for time being could be to just feed a full rendering frame to a buffer and refresh it in "xx:xx.xx" (user defined) amount of time

user could than play, view and observe the image to one likings and would automatically expect a delay on refresh, so even postFX (which can be quite slow) wouldn't be considered cumbersome

& either way you already save to cxr

PS.
some other engines do alike & along provide a "refresh" button (for the sake of refreshing buffered image as user pleases, when refresh is set to a longer amount of time)
« Last Edit: 2020-02-25, 20:55:53 by burnin »

2020-02-25, 23:52:22
Reply #8

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i agree with the others here, having to change the output size seems not a good workflow.

1) my pc (tr3 3970x)  is fast enough for fast preview also on 3k, but i want to zoom out
2) or maybe best would be to set size interactive and it adjusts
3) or an separate setting for ipr size, or a factor(ipr size 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 of the output size) any useful is welcome that is not as now
4) just to prevent zoom out makes no sense to me. why i cant decide myself if my pc can be interactive at that setup or not?

2020-02-26, 10:38:55
Reply #9

SHIFT

• Users
    • View Profile
well, i donĀ“t know in C4d, but in Max i use the 2d-pan-zoom mode of the camera in this case.

2020-03-02, 22:45:04
Reply #10

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we not have that in c4d corona vfb sadly as far i see

2020-03-03, 17:57:49
Reply #11

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
we not have that in c4d corona vfb sadly as far i see

It's a 3ds Max thing actually. Really useful I might add :)

2020-03-03, 23:50:10
Reply #12

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes indeed;)