Author Topic: best mouse for 3ds MAX  (Read 39227 times)

2018-11-28, 16:29:23
Reply #30

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Maybe "using" would be better word then ;- ) I am very satisfied, but I am also curious about the vertical Logitech MX. Definitely don't consider any alternative brands.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-29, 07:25:24
Reply #31

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Logitech G600

And put something like this on the buttons: Perspective, Top, Zoom Extents, Select Camera, Toggle Wireframe, Convert to Poly...

:)
« Last Edit: 2018-11-29, 20:32:28 by RobSteady »

2018-11-29, 09:06:54
Reply #32

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I use a vertical mouse and wouldnt go back. Got used to it in about 2 or 3 days and its not weird to swap back and forth. I also use a space mouse for navigation in the perspective viewport.

2018-11-29, 09:51:40
Reply #33

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I also use a space mouse for navigation in the perspective viewport.

Yes, Rogue style - two handed weapon wielding :) Very nice to navigate in IR as well (even fullscreen, since max still has the focus) + some additional buttons to define.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-11-29, 09:59:44
Reply #34

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
Yes Logitech is super expensive. And it has uncanny "feature" of stopping functioning eventually, I used to replace Performance MX every six months once...

I've been testing for past year and half instead this: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/sculpt-ergonomic-mouse/l6v-00001

It's something of in-between, not quite vertical, though highly angled and it forces your wrist to be elevated, which I consider the more important part of equation, this should avoid the pain relocating to further up.
I used to have terrible pain, couldn't work every third day. That is all gone, though this mouse requires bit of an effort to use eschewing some comfort.

This is the perfect thread I have been looking for.

I have that Microsoft mouse and keyboard. To be honest, the keyboard is great and feels very premium. Of course it takes time to get used to, the keyboard far more than the mouse.
One cool feature of the keyboard is the numerical keys that are separate. I have them on the left side. So I type in numbers with the left hand and use the mouse with my right.
This is very convenient, of course you have to teach yourself typing numbers with the left hand. I'm a right hand guy, so it took a while. And you have to change your system from coma to point if your using european annotations. This is so you can use the point from the numerical keyboard.

As for the mouse, it is failing. The left click is only working when hitting the upper end of the button. So I'm looking for a new one. And the keyboard has some F1-F12 keys that get stuck form time to time. For me, the mouse is alright but it's far to small for my hand. My hand is taller than a 6 inch smartphone, so you have a reference.

I want to get a real vertical mouse but most of those you can't program buttons and that is a NO NO.
I gess using a space mouse would be an option but I don't really want to spend money on that. Apart from yet another thing on my desktop, there's simply no space.

So this Logitech MX with programmable buttons looks great. I just need 1 or 2 buttons for pan and zoom.

If anyone buys it (me for christmas ;) share your experience.

BTW I never had any issues with pain even before the Microsoft Ergonomic mouse, it is simply to prevent getting hurt in the first place.
Rendering since 2014

2018-11-29, 10:24:04
Reply #35

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
<SNIP>

Yes, Rogue style - two handed weapon wielding :) Very nice to navigate in IR as well (even fullscreen, since max still has the focus) + some additional buttons to define.

Good Luck

Pretty much yeah its great for maneuvering interiors for camera setup and exploring different angles. Im yet to find a better button mapping for the spacemouse than the Esc key to stop badly timed autosaves haha.

2018-11-29, 10:35:49
Reply #36

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Huh what, the Navigator can continue moving within viewport in IR ? That sounds perfect :- ).

I need to give it a second try, I never got the drivers to play well with 3dsMax (always introduced micro-stutter/freeze after every move), maybe that is solved...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-29, 11:12:45
Reply #37

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
You still navigate perspective viewport or camera but when bringing the VFB on top/in front, you can continue navigating because the VFB does not eat the 3D-mouse events.

The only issue I always have since the new driver architecture (if we are talking about 3dconnexion) - besides very annoying slow driver developement for new max versions -  is that I do not manage to adjust the dead center correctly. So a camera lock script is crucial.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-11-29, 11:51:17
Reply #38

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Huh what, the Navigator can continue moving within viewport in IR ? That sounds perfect :- ).

I need to give it a second try, I never got the drivers to play well with 3dsMax (always introduced micro-stutter/freeze after every move), maybe that is solved...

Its very smooth in my opinion

2018-11-29, 22:51:26
Reply #39

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If the space mouse works for you well in Max - great, I really think it's a cool gadget. Because of my tendonitis problems I ordered  a space mouse and tested it in Maya( just before starting in a new studio). Drivers are a nightmare. Yould could alter a locked and keyed camera- which is actually impossible in Maya- when accidently using the spacemouse in the camera viewport. The studio would have kicked me out the next day if I had brought this malicious thing into their production. Sadly they don't give a f*. This error is reported in their forums for years and they didn't answer me, when I contacted them.

Since the space mouse wasn't working for me, I'm using a contour shuttle pro(https://www.contourdesign.com/product/shuttlepro-v2/) / razor tartarus( https://support.razer.com/gaming-keyboards/razer-tartarus-chroma) - depends on the task. My problem was pain during clicking, so mapping mouse clicks to these devices helped me alot.

2018-11-30, 15:55:36
Reply #40

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow.
I like the razor tartarus. I have pain in my left hand from using Shift Ctrl Alt, Q W E R constantly.
Can it be programmed to replace those keys?

2018-11-30, 16:46:27
Reply #41

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow.
I like the razor tartarus. I have pain in my left hand from using Shift Ctrl Alt, Q W E R constantly.

Now that looks useful! If only it had a space mouse on it, ultimate control over max!

2018-11-30, 22:19:58
Reply #42

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When I read a topic a contour shuttle pro mouse I was coincidentally lead to this mouse which seems very interesting in term of flexible angle adjustment

https://www.unimouse.com/

Is anyone familiar with this mouse? To me it looks very promising.

2018-11-30, 22:43:52
Reply #43

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow.
Yes, you can map anything on those keys from hotkeys to mouseclicks to macros.
What the tartarus is good at:
- you can map basically anything you want. And afaik you can define modifiers to buttons so you can map a button to three different settings
- the design is really great. My hand lays very comfortable at it. I chose the lower side button to be the ALT-key. ALT ist the'orbit'-button in most 3d-apps and - jeez- the alt-key of the keyboard I used for my diploma movie ages ago, was really sanded down by heavy usage. With this layout I only have to lower my thumb.
What tartarus is not good at it:
- try it at a local store. I think the keys are ok, but could be better.
- It's gaming hardware. The Software comes with a shitload of useless 'cool' stuff...
- ...which actually eats performance. When I toggle from one Software to another it takes ages(seconds) for the tartarus to change the profile. I believe it's because I have differnet colors mapped to the softwares and it waits until the illumination changed to the different color. This is really annoying.
- it could be heavier or should come with proper anti-sliding-stuff
- you can't color map keys- only per App. I would pay a shitload for a similiar device which is able to color map each key individually on a per software basis

2018-12-05, 13:35:23
Reply #44

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The MX Master 2S has treated our Artists well! Would highly recommend it.

+ a wireless battery time of 70 days!