Author Topic: Decals  (Read 4690 times)

2016-09-28, 06:45:35

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys!

I'm using unreal 95% of my time nowadays but I've decided to spend more time with corona.
The most annoying thing I find is when I try to add wear and tear to my objects.

In unreal I can use decals. They don't require uv mapping or masks and stuff like that. I can place them wherever I want very conveniently. I can stack 2-3 or even more decals on top of each other.
In corona, is there an easy method like this? Or do I need to have a carefully placed uv map for each decal (or material layer),  have a black and white mask for each details I want to add?

I find that so time consuming. 3ds max slowness doesn't help either I guess. Maybe I'm missing a feature or does it just not exist?
« Last Edit: 2016-09-28, 06:53:26 by philippelamoureux »

2016-09-28, 12:54:16
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
You found the Achilles tendon of Max.
The proper way is to use the "composite map" feature. This merges textures into one and is used to do decals.
However this is hella complex and slow compared to how easy awesome game engines do it, with their one click approach.

Read up on composite maps in the official help here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-850CFCCD-2DF9-4FC9-85F7-9A92AE0C0297-htm.html

Or watch a tutorial

I become lazy at times and simply slap it on a card with cast shadows disabled.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-09-29, 05:21:59
Reply #2

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not gonna bother with composite if you say it's too complex and slow! I'll stick with the good ol' method!