Author Topic: AI Denoiser  (Read 8139 times)

2018-01-22, 18:31:32

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
We describe a machine learning technique for reconstructing image sequences rendered using Monte Carlo methods. Our primary focus is on reconstruction of global illumination with extremely low sampling budgets at interactive rates. Motivated by recent advances in image restoration with deep convolutional networks, we propose a variant of these networks better suited to the class of noise present in Monte Carlo rendering. We allow for much larger pixel neighborhoods to be taken into account, while also improving execution speed by an order of magnitude. Our primary contribution is the addition of recurrent connections to the network in order to drastically improve temporal stability for sequences of sparsely sampled input images. Our method also has the desirable property of automatically modeling relationships based on auxiliary per-pixel input channels, such as depth and normals. We show significantly higher quality results compared to existing methods that run at comparable speeds, and furthermore argue a clear path for making our method run at realtime rates in the near future

http://research.nvidia.com/publication/interactive-reconstruction-monte-carlo-image-sequences-using-recurrent-denoising

Octane & Redshift are already implementing it into their experimental builds.

I think it would be an excellent addition to Corona. The Denoiser seems to be a very favorized feature and it could be greatly enhanced through this.
You say that it might become a CPU/GPU hybrid and I think this could be the gpu part.

2018-01-22, 19:33:59
Reply #1

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I saw this... I love that channel. Wonder if this is something that could be (in the future) implemented in corona.

2018-01-23, 11:07:37
Reply #2

Luis.Goncalves

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would also love to see this in corona.
Exiting tech

2018-01-23, 15:45:44
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Looks nice for interactive. CPU doing the rendering as usual, GPU at the same time free to run the denoiser many times per second, to get fast, noise-free respone. Will look into that. But the core team will have to do it first, then Cinema build will get it "for free" next time the core is updated (happens several times per release)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-01-23, 16:10:10
Reply #4

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Note, it's only usable for previews.

2018-01-23, 16:15:20
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well, if it would work with interactive rendering, then that would improve experience greatly. Imagine working with materials, lighting and having relatively noise free preview from first few passes...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-23, 16:26:12
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yup, would also vastly improve animation workflow, especially for previz. Add to IPR the ability to keep 'stuff' in memory & save out 'frames'... mind blown :o

2018-01-31, 21:47:16
Reply #7

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
That's how it could look like for previews:

2018-04-06, 12:22:27
Reply #8

artofcharly

• Active Users
  • Full-time 3d Outsource
    • View Profile
    • The art of charly
So, any news about AI Denoiser in Corona? =)

Here is the new video from Octane Forum =)

2018-05-30, 14:13:36
Reply #9

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vray has implemented NVidia AI Denoiser too.