Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] General Discussion

The new 3000 series graphics cards from Nvidia and GPU rendering

(1/5) > >>

John.McWaters:
As the release date for the new 3000 series GPU's from Nvidia draws near, I wanted to see what the general thoughts are from the Corona community about the future of GPU rendering. Is it known if Corona plans on implementing GPU-based rendering into it's capabilities in the future? Or do you think CPU rendering is here to stay?

I've seen some impressive arch viz from The Boundary that was done in Unreal, so I think that would mean it was GPU based. If real time rendering gains popularity and is able to deliver at a quality comparable to what is achievable in Corona today, then I would say it's future is promising.

I'm curious because I could see investing in a 3000 series card a wise decision if GPU rendering picks up... especially if engines like Corona can take advantage of the RTX capabilities of the cards.

marchik:
I hope that over time we will be able to use the GPU, at least to speed up the calculation of caustics just because sooner o later the "proudly cpu based" approach will start losing competitiveness to hybrid solutions

Ondra:
Hi,
while there are no immediate plans, we are watching the development closely. There are not only raw performance improvements, but also development of the whole ecosystem, which is important for developers, as it determines how much work is needed to unlock the performance, and what features will be supported. If/when gpu rendering technology reaches the marketing promises ("make all your features 100x faster over a weekend"), we will definitely spend the weekend :D. Currently we have 3 GPU renderers in Chaosgroup, so we have good source of verified info.

I would personally advice you to NOT buy super-expensive GPU unless you want to do GPU rendering RIGHT NOW. If you do and have the cash, then sure, go ahead and buy the card. But we had so many instances of people buying strong GPUs "for the future" that never materialized. I personally bought GPU over my intended budget back in 9x00 times (yes, 9000, not 900), because usable GPU computing was "just around the corner". Hardware is depreciating asset and it does not make any economic sense to buy it "for the future". I wouldnt make any sense to buy a brand new car to sit in the garage for 2 years, "before things pick up". And hardware becomes obsolete much faster than cars. If you buy it now for future, it might be already obsolete when you finally make the switch.

burnin:
"Buy it for the future" - Pay for and be part of beta test group in our R&D for next couple of years.

John.McWaters:
Thank you for your detailed reply. I guess investing it a GPU for GPU rendering is only wise if you know you'll be able to implement it within that generation of GPU.

I'm curious to know what the 3 GPU rendering engines are from Chaos group.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version