Author Topic: Capri Getaway  (Read 8422 times)

2018-01-30, 16:32:32

Jake Williams

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NOMINN
I'm happy to share my entry for the Evermotion Getaway Challenge with everyone.

For this project I used Corona Render for 3ds Max, Forest Pack, Vray, and Photoshop. While I can say I am a huge Corona supporter, the process of creating this image with Corona was quite challenging for a few reasons.. First off I was set on achieving a fish-eye lens effect which currently doesn't exist in Corona. This lead me to have to use the old school method of building the whole scene in reverse and pointing the camera into a mirror ball. Another feature Corona does not currently support is for reflections to "affect all channels" like Vray does. To work around this I created a duplicate scene and rendered with Vray in order to get render elements like shadows, raw lighting, multimattes, etc. I also used the Vray scene to set up the Phoenix FD Ocean Tex for the water. Just out of curiosity I tested the Ocean Tex within the Corona scene and surprisingly it worked! Although since I was reflecting the entire scene in the mirror ball I had to change the Corona displacement from screen size to world size which added a large amount of render time. All in all I was happy with the way Corona was able to handle the scene and especially the water although there are a few tweaks to the software that could have made the process much smoother.

I am in the process of making a break down if anyone is interested in seeing.

Jake
Jake Williams - Owner

NOMINN - Visualization Studio

2018-01-30, 16:56:58
Reply #1

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
AWE-SOME :)
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-01-30, 17:10:11
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's a-w-e-some!! Absolutely stunning project and something different from the usual stuff posted here.

Also, please make sure to post feature requests for the stuff you were missing. I agree that proper fish-eye mode is something that absolutely needs to be supported.

2018-01-30, 17:12:41
Reply #3

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is really great and creative! it really jumped out at me just from the thumbnail alone, good work.

2018-01-30, 17:38:20
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The image is stunning! Please do make break down and post it here - definitely there are people who would love to see that.

BTW, for the fisheye, you could render spherical pano, which Corona supports and convert equirectangular to one of the few fisheye projections in post. Much easier and flexible than old school mirror ball :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-30, 18:06:15
Reply #5

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The image is stunning! Please do make break down and post it here - definitely there are people who would love to see that.

BTW, for the fisheye, you could render spherical pano, which Corona supports and convert equirectangular to one of the few fisheye projections in post. Much easier and flexible than old school mirror ball :]
Interesting to know where is here Vray, where is Photoshop and where is Corona:)
I see is many compositing and post-processing work here/

2018-01-31, 09:53:06
Reply #6

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, absolutely amazing work. I very much would like see that breakdown :-)

2018-01-31, 13:19:08
Reply #7

Hadi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Stunning image! A breakdown is very much needed.

2018-01-31, 13:55:47
Reply #8

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Hooooooly Mooooooly :))) This is EPIC! Looking forward to the breakdown - God this looks stunning!
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2018-01-31, 17:11:52
Reply #9

Erald

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing!

2018-02-01, 14:45:51
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Stunning image !

And much needed uplifting mood for this winter dreadness.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-02-02, 11:12:46
Reply #11

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sweet! Nice refreshing concept. I love it. Coming from Vray to corona myself recently I know your frustrations, I hope now they are in the same group these get addressed quickly. As generally I prefer the Corona workflow and framebuffer.

2018-02-02, 12:46:31
Reply #12

gpz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing
I saw the result of the competition on evermotion site. For me was the best work.
Anyway i would like to see a breakdown.
Very interesting to understand phoenix with corona

2018-02-06, 02:19:52
Reply #13

Formosa

• Users
    • View Profile
This was also my favourite image from the competition. It's a fantastic idea and I think you executed it extremely well.

I'm very interested to see your breakdown!

2018-02-06, 11:47:26
Reply #14

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
incredible image! how did you get the water to go bluer as the sea bed goes deeper? that's pretty awesome!