Author Topic: Which V-Ray feature should we bring to Corona?  (Read 61226 times)

2017-08-28, 22:16:07
Reply #30

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry I guess I should've included I uncheck render hidden lights and I separate my lights by layers. That way I can quickly switch between lights by turning layers on and off, which is supported in  state sets

2017-08-29, 03:26:50
Reply #31

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i think vray hdri, vray triplanar texture. should be useful...

2017-08-29, 05:30:11
Reply #32

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
it should be scriptable - some simple UI where you drag&drop few maps and there is one switch controling which one is used. Somebody can try writing it ;)

Drop a Color Correct or Output Map into the environment slot. Drop 4-5 hdri into the slate material editor next to the previous mentioned map. Takes 1 hot key and a simple drag of a node to switch between multiple hdris. This is how i do it and it works great.

I haven't read that this would be put in anywhere, but I would like to see the Corona Toolbar found over in the Corona Goodies forum to be installed by default (Which is something Vray does).
« Last Edit: 2017-08-29, 05:49:00 by JoeVallard »

2017-08-29, 07:54:58
Reply #33

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread was the right persuasion approach. Nice re-framing, visualization and focusing in the future.

A good lesson on how to correctly handle the situation. Thanks!

2017-08-29, 08:24:44
Reply #34

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
afaik we already have coronaBitmap and coronaTriplanarMap :)

2017-08-29, 08:53:55
Reply #35

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About the DomeLight - I guess I supported the idea because of easier future handling of seamless scene conversion between Corona and Vray, that's all.

Some other useful stuff:

- Vray's Edge Map handles the rounded corners effect and it distinguishes between convex and concave handling, so you can set up the effect in more versatile way that Corona's current implementation. It's still not super convenient, I'd like it to be fully customizable so Corona handles self and foreign object separately in one map so you can set it up to handle self objects with a concave edge effect of 1,0 cm radius and foreign objects with a convex edge of 2,0 cm radius, for example. Not a 1:1 implementation, but something more flexible that can be useful for Vray too.
- User-Defined Color Map / User-Defined Scalar Map - probably very easy to implement and could prove to be quite useful for various scenarios
- Point Particle Material
- Stochastic Flakes Material... not sure if I'd really need the material but having it as a map would be super interesting and more flexible
- The entire Bokeh Section of the VrayPhysCam has all the controls we were asking for since a few releases. Would love to get some more options for bokehs to further raise the level of realism in Corona
- Does the Vray FB support ICC profiles? Would be great to get that for Corona's VFB!

2017-08-29, 09:22:17
Reply #36

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
it should be scriptable - some simple UI where you drag&drop few maps and there is one switch controling which one is used. Somebody can try writing it ;)

Drop a Color Correct or Output Map into the environment slot. Drop 4-5 hdri into the slate material editor next to the previous mentioned map. Takes 1 hot key and a simple drag of a node to switch between multiple hdris. This is how i do it and it works great.

I haven't read that this would be put in anywhere, but I would like to see the Corona Toolbar found over in the Corona Goodies forum to be installed by default (Which is something Vray does).

You should use Output map, or CoronaOutput, or some light map like that. Autodesk's ColorCorrection is still, even after some fixes, unnecessarily slow map :)

2017-08-29, 09:43:02
Reply #37

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would be nice something like this: http://www.nozon.com/presenz
Something like poincloud render to implement with. Actually they have some beta-dev. with chaosgroup. We test in our studio the demos and are very inmersive.

2017-08-29, 10:14:54
Reply #38

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
-Hair & Skin material shaders
-flakes shader(not just material but both would be good)
-coating layer/second refl. channel with extra bump/normal slot and maybe thin film thickness
-curves rendering
-particle rendering as points, quads, spheres, etc. and maybe interpolating between them

2017-08-29, 10:27:12
Reply #39

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
about DomeLight, I don't have longer experience with vray but what I understand is it is a feature which gives user a room to store custom lighting options, am I right?
if ondra doesn't want it because of it could hurts corona's simplicity but in other hands users really need custom lighting options (including me sometimes).
then .. what about integrate custom lighting inside the CoronaCamera? :)

2017-08-29, 10:35:54
Reply #40

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I don't understand the hard-on for dome light. As far as I recall it converted the HDRI to a bunch of direct lights to solve the GI flicker, that plagued animation renders with anything else but brute-force. (lightcache and irradance mapping)
You could disable GI and it still rendered with dome light.

It was a very well executed fake, one that solved animation headaches. However, with Corona's UHD it is fully solved anyways. Especially with the recent HDRI importance sampling speedup, that they want to release a paper on.

There is barely speed to be gained, but a  whole lotta simplicity to be lost.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2017-08-29, 10:41:18
Reply #41

Serj-3DVision

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3DVision
about DomeLight, I don't have longer experience with vray but what I understand is it is a feature which gives user a room to store custom lighting options, am I right?
if ondra doesn't want it because of it could hurts corona's simplicity but in other hands users really need custom lighting options (including me sometimes).
then .. what about integrate custom lighting inside the CoronaCamera? :)

That's looks like very good idea, and maybe even improve it with implementation of something similar to camera resolution mod posted in one of the threads so users could have different settings for environment light, resolution etc. per camera
Sergei Scennikov | Israel | Tel-Aviv
Primary certified instructor
3DVision | Corona Materials Library

2017-08-29, 10:42:51
Reply #42

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
but we have both already...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-29, 10:44:45
Reply #43

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
That's looks like very good idea, and maybe even improve it with implementation of something similar to camera resolution mod posted in one of the threads so users could have different settings for environment light, resolution etc. per camera
afaik that's already planned as well :)

2017-08-29, 11:21:41
Reply #44

Serj-3DVision

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3DVision
but we have both already...

Ok, as long as we see in future plans compatibility of vraymtl and vrayproxy when we should expect the coronamaterial and coronaproxy compatibility in VRay?
I know that this question should be addressed  to Vlado, but maybe even you can give some answers?
Or maybe Vlado itself can post some info?
Sergei Scennikov | Israel | Tel-Aviv
Primary certified instructor
3DVision | Corona Materials Library