Author Topic: Interior Render Time Problem (C4D)  (Read 8494 times)

2015-04-07, 10:10:37

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I already posted this in the WIP thread (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7645.0.html), but didn't get any answers and encountered a problem with the render times.

It's an interior shot, made in Cinema 4D. Render settings are all default, only using photgraphic exposure is checked.
Again I forgot to render with the render stamp, but my setup is as follows:

2 x Intel Xeon quad cores with 2,27 GHz.
Render time: 91h / Passes: 179
3000 x 2400 px

The scene is very basic so far, lit by an hdri from vizpeople.
Windows only have one plane of thin glass material.
Cinema 4D version does not yet support portals unfortunatelly.

I'd really be happy about any kind of help or comment, and of course could offer the scene files too!

Flo
Windows 10, Cinema4D R21.207, Corona 6.0

2015-04-07, 14:44:44
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
91 hours?! Holy crap, definitely something not right here. Can you show what ray/s and rays/sample you get in this scene?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-04-07, 15:50:55
Reply #2

koldi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
 I've done 2K passes in 7h in scene full of glass and few lights 3K res. In that time you should have like 10K passes for such a scene, these one would render in 20-60 minutes in corona for good quality. What's Phong tag on wardrobe on the left - you can see the angle of specular. Post the scene we can check whats wrong if you want.
Cheers

2015-04-07, 16:11:13
Reply #3

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
91 hours?! Holy crap, definitely something not right here. Can you show what ray/s and rays/sample you get in this scene?

Yea that was about my reaction too!

I guess I should render for quite some time to get usable numbers with the render stamp right? Because I forgot to check it the first time, so I don't have to results from that long render...
Anyways I just restarted it and got these results: 5 min, 2 passes, 1.359.243 Rays/Sec, 26 Rays/Sample

I've done 2K passes in 7h in scene full of glass and few lights 3K res. In that time you should have like 10K passes for such a scene, these one would render in 20-60 minutes in corona for good quality. What's Phong tag on wardrobe on the left - you can see the angle of specular. Post the scene we can check whats wrong if you want.
Cheers

Phong tag was too high, thanks I now fixed that too!
Scene file is here: http://we.tl/PJif6reDzr
Sorry, it's not organised so well, but I had only just started with this project...

BIG thanks already for taking a look!!

2015-04-07, 16:38:19
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't help you im afraid but Im also a C4D user and have found interiors with small openings unexpectedly slow to render on a 32 thread machine @2.6ghz - even basic white models with a bit of glass and nothing in the windows. I dont know if there is something wrong with the initial alphas efficiency as it would seem others with the Max version are turning out much more complex scenes in far less time. I dont think it can all be down to portals.

2015-04-07, 17:04:05
Reply #5

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't help you im afraid but Im also a C4D user and have found interiors with small openings unexpectedly slow to render on a 32 thread machine @2.6ghz - even basic white models with a bit of glass and nothing in the windows. I dont know if there is something wrong with the initial alphas efficiency as it would seem others with the Max version are turning out much more complex scenes in far less time. I dont think it can all be down to portals.

I don't have that much experience in interiors, but I must admit it's damn fast with normal studio product shots in my opinion. That's what I do all day and I couldn't imagine it without Corona anymore.
But you're right, I can't believe portals will make that huge difference - nevertheless something is damn wrong in my scene to get these rendertimes...

2015-04-07, 17:25:01
Reply #6

koldi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, C4d corona with hdri light only is slow and noisy especially in small window rooms. Sun+sky model is much efficient and less noisy at current alpha stage. Your phong tags are fu**d up all over the scene, I know in vray it causes to render much longer, but in corona cannot confirm for archviz. Used some first textures I found for render. Ive run 19 pases to check, it would be smooth in 2h probably on my machine, but not necessarily noise free.
I can run longer render later in the evening when I'm done with my work to see how it goes.
Cheers
« Last Edit: 2015-04-07, 19:04:01 by koldi »

2015-04-07, 18:37:37
Reply #7

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been using corona sun for interiors, not HDRI and have found it quite a bit slower than I was expecting. It flies with the demo scene but that has almost a whole wall of glazing so it gets plenty of light in. I've not downloaded workflows scene to test though.

2015-04-08, 08:18:08
Reply #8

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, C4d corona with hdri light only is slow and noisy especially in small window rooms. Sun+sky model is much efficient and less noisy at current alpha stage. Your phong tags are fu**d up all over the scene, I know in vray it causes to render much longer, but in corona cannot confirm for archviz. Used some first textures I found for render. Ive run 19 pases to check, it would be smooth in 2h probably on my machine, but not necessarily noise free.
I can run longer render later in the evening when I'm done with my work to see how it goes.
Cheers

Good morning,

thanks again for checking the scene and obviously for all the tips!
For that rendering you posted, did you only fix the phong tags, and texture mappings, or did you also swap/modify some textures completely?

Seems like I definitelly have to pay more attention to those little tags! :-)

I've been using corona sun for interiors, not HDRI and have found it quite a bit slower than I was expecting. It flies with the demo scene but that has almost a whole wall of glazing so it gets plenty of light in. I've not downloaded workflows scene to test though.

I used that HDRI just because I downloaded a scene from Eric Borbon (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7595.0.html), which had this setup and felt like it was rendering quite okay...
Will defintelly test my scene with sun & sky tho!

2015-04-08, 11:10:20
Reply #9

koldi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
[quote/]
thanks again for checking the scene and obviously for all the tips!
For that rendering you posted, did you only fix the phong tags, and texture mappings, or did you also swap/modify some textures completely?

Seems like I definitely have to pay more attention to those little tags! :-)

No problems, I've decreased most phong tags, replaced textures that were not included only (library ones). All in all, sun+sky (with hdri or not) will give better results in shorter times. Hdri only setup is great for mood in light, but not working that well yet.

Cheers

2015-04-08, 11:23:13
Reply #10

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No problems, I've decreased most phong tags, replaced textures that were not included only (library ones). All in all, sun+sky (with hdri or not) will give better results in shorter times. Hdri only setup is great for mood in light, but not working that well yet.

Cheers

I honestly never did bother decreasing those phong values to the minimum required amount, simply cause i never had troubles with it - at least I never saw any connection to those tags!

I'll defintelly go over that scene again when I have the time, and will change everything you guys said for the good, and will come back with a better render!

2015-04-08, 17:18:12
Reply #11

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just noticed that I didn't pack some of the textures with the file I gave you, sorry for that!

Today I went over all phong tags I found, edited a few materials and switched to sun&sky - but only had about 1:45 h to try a render and this was the result:

Still quite noisy but I think it's getting better...

2015-04-20, 09:42:18
Reply #12

davidlecardinal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used that HDRI just because I downloaded a scene from Eric Borbon (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7595.0.html), which had this setup and felt like it was rendering quite okay...

Hi Workflow,
Where did you get the file? ;)

2015-04-20, 09:45:14
Reply #13

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Workflow,
Where did you get the file? ;)
Hi David,

He posted the link in the Corona for c4d facebook group a few weeks back!

2015-04-23, 09:07:13
Reply #14

davidlecardinal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the answer.
Do you have the link of the group. didn't find it. Or already closed?