Author Topic: Bokeh Blender  (Read 3308 times)

2016-03-24, 09:27:15

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

I had a go with one of C4D's preset models.
Made some materials and a more stylised product shot setup.

I tried to achieve a nice bokeh effect for the background.
For this I made a full reflective plane with some bump and lit it with one hard light from above.
Unfortunatelly it still wouldn't clean up after about 3-4 hours and 250 passes - even though I set the GI vs. AA balance to 8 to improve DOF...

Anyways I'll be happy about all comments and of course critique and help!

Cinema 4D R17 - Corona A4.1
Windows 10, Cinema4D R21.207, Corona 6.0

2016-03-24, 11:25:15
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Slow refinement of contrasty DOF is a known issue in Corona. Fortunately, 1.4 version will come with adaptivity and denoising which perfectly cope with these kinds of effects. I do not know when we can expect these features in C4D, though.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-24, 11:29:13
Reply #2

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Slow refinement of contrasty DOF is a known issue in Corona. Fortunately, 1.4 version will come with adaptivity and denoising which perfectly cope with these kinds of effects. I do not know when we can expect these features in C4D, though.

Thanks for your answer, good to know!
I'll try to maybe work around this then...

2016-03-24, 14:27:29
Reply #3

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Thanks for your answer, good to know!
I'll try to maybe work around this then...
Propably irrelevant - but how I solved similar problem back in the day:

A couple of years back I did post process refinment on motion blur and dof in animation.
Vray had a great interpolated solution for blurry effects, but it would clean up very very long comapred to the rather short per frame render time for the animation.
So they way I solved it back in the day is a half-half solution.
MotionVector pass (no for corona yet) to do a post process motion blur ON TOP of the half finished motion blur with ReelSmartMotionBlur for AfterEffects. It clean up everything perfectly.

Same principle for DoF, half cleaned up 32bit render with Zdepth pass and again post process Frischluft lenscare for AfterEffects ON TOP of half finished Dof.

It worked absolute mad wonders for me, but it was 720p animation renders, so it may or may not work here.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-03-24, 15:24:42
Reply #4

WorkFlow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Propably irrelevant - but how I solved similar problem back in the day:

A couple of years back I did post process refinment on motion blur and dof in animation.
Vray had a great interpolated solution for blurry effects, but it would clean up very very long comapred to the rather short per frame render time for the animation.
So they way I solved it back in the day is a half-half solution.
MotionVector pass (no for corona yet) to do a post process motion blur ON TOP of the half finished motion blur with ReelSmartMotionBlur for AfterEffects. It clean up everything perfectly.

Same principle for DoF, half cleaned up 32bit render with Zdepth pass and again post process Frischluft lenscare for AfterEffects ON TOP of half finished Dof.

It worked absolute mad wonders for me, but it was 720p animation renders, so it may or may not work here.

Thanks for that tip!
Even though I unfortunately do not own Frischluft plugin I will definitelly try some post processed DoF for the bokeh!

Funny enough, before I used Corona I always "faked" DoF in post - now with Corona I didn't even think about faking as a possibility!

We'll see if this is the way to go..