General Category > Learner’s Corner

Lack of realism

<< < (2/4) > >>

a35i:

--- Quote from: burnin on 2021-09-07, 13:50:40 ---But fundamentally, it's lighting.
First make it look good using only "Clay" material.

--- End quote ---

Why you chose "clay material" as a first step!.
and do you mean using clay material in the whole objects?!

burnin:

--- Quote from: a35i on 2021-09-07, 14:03:36 ---Why you chose "clay material" as a first step!.
--- End quote ---

Because it's "neutral" and work at hand is to "enlighten" a vision, which starts with just lighting/shading. Then gradually builds up. Basically it's like when making an illustration, first act is to focus on finding tones & zones creating contrast, defining lines, form, depth...

--- Quote from: a35i on 2021-09-07, 14:03:36 ---and do you mean using clay material in the whole objects?!
--- End quote ---

Yes. And only after when you like what you see, you move on to "surface/materialize" it.

Otherwise, simple mind gets messy... lost.

romullus:
I wouldn't agree that it's mostly a lighting at fault here. While obviously the lighting can be improved, but fundamentaly you can only make it more artistically pleasing, but not more realistic. Actually it's pretty hard to make unrealistic exterior lighting in modern renderers, unless you'll do some stupid things, like start placing lights in the sky.

What i find wrong in your render, is 1. models, 2. materials, 3. texturing, 4. tonemapping. Not in a particular order. I don't have time to go into details, but i'll try to give you some key points aboutneach area.

1. models are too simple and lack of details. All corners are unrealisticly sharp, edges are too perfectly straight, there's zero randomness in placement. Everything's flat, straight and sharp.
2. materials are too simple and unrealistic. It looks like everything except for glass and carpaint, has the same plain roughness value. It looks like you applied the same material to everything and just swapped diffuse and bump maps. Cars looks particularly bad - is that automatic conversion from Vray, or scanline?
3. Where's dirt, weathering, stains, imperfections? The house has been built on conveyor belt 5 seconds ago?
4. the image looks too flat and uninteresting, everything has about the same brightness level, there's nowhere to rest an eye. Nothing catches viewers attention for longer than couple seconds.

a35i:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2021-09-07, 15:11:44 ---I wouldn't agree that it's mostly a lighting at fault here. While obviously the lighting can be improved, but fundamentaly you can only make it more artistically pleasing, but not more realistic. Actually it's pretty hard to make unrealistic exterior lighting in modern renderers, unless you'll do some stupid things, like start placing lights in the sky.

What i find wrong in your render, is 1. models, 2. materials, 3. texturing, 4. tonemapping. Not in a particular order. I don't have time to go into details, but i'll try to give you some key points aboutneach area.

1. models are too simple and lack of details. All corners are unrealisticly sharp, edges are too perfectly straight, there's zero randomness in placement. Everything's flat, straight and sharp.
2. materials are too simple and unrealistic. It looks like everything except for glass and carpaint, has the same plain roughness value. It looks like you applied the same material to everything and just swapped diffuse and bump maps. Cars looks particularly bad - is that automatic conversion from Vray, or scanline?
3. Where's dirt, weathering, stains, imperfections? The house has been built on conveyor belt 5 seconds ago?
4. the image looks too flat and uninteresting, everything has about the same brightness level, there's nowhere to rest an eye. Nothing catches viewers attention for longer than couple seconds.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the points!
But can you give a reference for each point!
I mean i use revit for modeling, how can i make my lines not perfectly straight or randome!.
For the materials, i tried to play with the parameters, but idk i cant get a reasonable output for sorry.
And if you can give me a reference of renders, that can lead me to try fixing my render to not be flat or boring.
Thanks again.

a35i:

--- Quote from: burnin on 2021-09-07, 14:55:51 ---
--- Quote from: a35i on 2021-09-07, 14:03:36 ---Why you chose "clay material" as a first step!.
--- End quote ---

Because it's "neutral" and work at hand is to "enlighten" a vision, which starts with just lighting/shading. Then gradually builds up. Basically it's like when making an illustration, first act is to focus on finding tones & zones creating contrast, defining lines, form, depth...

--- Quote from: a35i on 2021-09-07, 14:03:36 ---and do you mean using clay material in the whole objects?!
--- End quote ---

Yes. And only after when you like what you see, you move on to "surface/materialize" it.

Otherwise, simple mind gets messy... lost.

--- End quote ---
Got it, thanks, ill try it and will get back to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version