Author Topic: Dual cpu speed problems  (Read 6318 times)

2021-08-18, 13:08:22

Evolist_ua

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, the 8th daily version of the Corona for the cinema has already been released, and the problem that I wrote about back in 2019 is still present (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=24238.0)
The confirmation:
One cpu with no corona bitmap at materials, 9,7m rays actual

TWO CPU (not 2 core) with no corona bitmap at materials, 5,5m rays actual. One cpu is faster than two,LOL.

Two cpu with corona bitmap at materials, 16+m rays actual, this is NORMAL speed.

Are you planning to fix the render speed issue on dual-processor systems at all? If not, then at least add to the converter the ability to immediately convert all textures to the corona bitmap,because doing it manually takes a lot of time, thanks.

2021-08-18, 13:33:51
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have a similar issue reported for Corona for Max, but we were not able to reproduce it on our end (it only happens to the user).

Are you using the Corona UVW Randomizer map here?
Are you using the Corona Triplanar Map here?

Can you please share the scene with us? (if you haven't yet)

Max report for our team - (Report ID=CRMAX-866)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-18, 13:51:45
Reply #2

Evolist_ua

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We have a similar issue reported for Corona for Max, but we were not able to reproduce it on our end (it only happens to the user).

I tested in 3d max, even in 2019 everything was ok there with speed.
No  UVW Randomizer or Triplanar there, only maps at diffure,reflect\gloss, bump.

There is no need in dropping this test scene for you, created in a couple of minutes, it's just a set of simple geometric shapes, with sky and two materials, starting from 2019 with almost every assembly I create a similar test scene, and the result is always the same.

but we were not able to reproduce it on our end
Have you tested this on a DUAL PROCESSOR PC???

2021-08-18, 13:58:53
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just as a note, a scene is always handy, just in case some default render settings have been changed by a user etc. It's always useful to know we are testing EXACTLY the same thing, and not something "close to" or "similar to" or "kind of like" the scene where a user has a problem. So sharing the scene would still be useful, thanks :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-08-18, 14:04:00
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
but we were not able to reproduce it on our end
Have you tested this on a DUAL PROCESSOR PC???

We tested this ON BOTH SINGLE PROCESSOR PCS AND DUAL PROCESSOR PCS!!!

And to test it thoroughly we would need exactly the same scene that you are using so that we could compare with your results too.

Thanks for understanding.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-18, 14:18:14
Reply #5

Evolist_ua

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We tested this ON BOTH SINGLE PROCESSOR PCS
On systems with one cpu everything is ok, it can be seen even by the fact that when I render with one processor (in the cinema settings I limit the number of threads so that the 2nd processor does not use) then everything is fine.

Created two test scenes, with and without bitmaps,  uploaded as 1629289008_scenes-for-dual-cpu.zip. Hope this helps, thanks.

2021-08-23, 08:51:22
Reply #6

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

thanks for reporting, we have logged it internally at (Internal ID=743369807)

Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-09-03, 16:13:27
Reply #7

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
tested a simple scene...

1. rendered with texture directly in texture slot, inkl. uvw-randomizer
2. rendered with corona bitmap in texture slot, inkl. uvw-randomizer > faster, more rays, less noise, but uvw randomizer seems not to work

> mac osx mojave, c4d r23, corona v6 (hotfix 2)
   no idea how it's behaving in v7 or v8 daily builds

2021-09-06, 09:19:57
Reply #8

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

can you also include this scene with textures included? I would like to rule out all input before creating a bug-report.

Additionally, this thread concerns a very different issue.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2023-06-26, 12:04:39
Reply #9

Evolist_ua

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
For the guys of the corona team, this will probably be funny... But I just tested the 10th corona for c4d, and the problem with systems on 2 CPU remained...
Judging by the fact that I reported this problem back in 2019 (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=24238.0), this bug is already more than 4 years old ... Do you have plans to fix this?

2023-06-26, 14:32:13
Reply #10

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i have also a few dual xeons in use, they not show any slow down for me, can you explain what you experience?
v10 runs fin here as expected, so it might ot be some general with 2 cpus.l

2023-06-26, 15:11:25
Reply #11

Evolist_ua

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i have also a few dual xeons in use, they not show any slow down for me, can you explain what you experience?
v10 runs fin here as expected, so it might ot be some general with 2 cpus.l

Try to make a test scene (like at the beginning of the topic) and check the rendering speed when the textures are loaded (diffuse, reflect, gloss, bump) with the corona bitmap and without the corona bitmap.

2023-06-27, 12:20:58
Reply #12

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i have threadrippers with 1 CPU (32/64 cores) and dual xeons (56 cores),
they all behave as expected from speed as said.(also i test my machines always with Cinebanch and Coronabench.

thats why i asked

speed greatly depends on how file search path are set, disc speed/network speed of the machine and so on, also number of cpu cores cant be compared 1:1.

2023-06-27, 14:33:20
Reply #13

Evolist_ua

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i have threadrippers with 1 CPU (32/64 cores) and dual xeons (56 cores),
they all behave as expected from speed as said.(also i test my machines always with Cinebanch and Coronabench.

thats why i asked

speed greatly depends on how file search path are set, disc speed/network speed of the machine and so on, also number of cpu cores cant be compared 1:1.

Please re-read this topic more carefully, also the topic to which I gave a link.

If you do not use a corona bitmap, then one processor renders faster than two (In the settings of the cinema 4d, there is a limit on the number of threads. I have a 2x2698v4 system. I set the limit to 40 threads). If the textures are loaded with the corona bitmap, then the rendering speed on two processors is ok.

But manually adding corona bitmap for each texture takes time... Why don't they make a script for that? Or that the textures would immediately work as if through a corona bitmap? There are also problems with the corona bitmap itself, about which many topics have already been created.

"also number of cpu cores can't be compared 1:1."
That difference is almost 2 times, when using two processors, in comparison with one. If checked in render without textures, or when all textures are through corona bitmap.

It is incorrect to compare AMD and Intel in this case.

2023-06-27, 15:04:37
Reply #14

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well i think i did read the thread.

i do not use corona bits , or only rarely. speed is ok with our without here.
i have quite some Corona render experience, and it works very well for most things with the classic c4d bitmap.

modern systems (also single cpu threadrippers) can be 2x or even 3x and more faster than old dual xeon as you or i have,
best compare the cinebench values for example of both machines (to have a neutral comparance), so there a 2x speed difference is expected.

EDIT: on cinebench 15, the xeon you have a score of 2940 points, where the single threadripper has, dependent on model scores between 6000 and 10400 points, and intel i9 13900 has still more than 6000 points, more than double the speed as the dual xeons ( and i think it is valid to compare amd and xeons for render tasks, it is all about speed, amd cpus are just most times faster today for rendering)

this is due the progress modern cpus have made last years.
« Last Edit: 2023-06-27, 15:16:32 by Stefan-L »