Author Topic: Issue with the Ray Switcher material  (Read 1751 times)

2018-05-08, 22:22:56

3Disciple

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a bug / known limitation or if I am doing something wrong, but I am having a hard time trying to get the Ray Switcher material to behave like it theoretically should.

The first picture is an example from the Corona helpdesk page "What is RaySwitch material and map?", and it shows the result I am trying to achieve.
The second picture is what I am getting in Corona. Theoretically the material should appear completely diffuse, but it should emit light. However the resulting material appears glowing, exactly like the light material plugged into the Global Illumination slot.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be much appreciated.

2018-05-08, 22:39:05
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think you have to uncheck emit light in light material for it to work. It's a limitation of rayswitch material.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-08, 22:59:22
Reply #2

3Disciple

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think you have to uncheck emit light in light material for it to work. It's a limitation of rayswitch material.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, unchecking the "emit light" box did the trick, but I was hoping I could use the RaySwitch material with the proper light emitting material.

The idea was to make a light bulb using the Corona material with self-illumination as the material visible directly and in reflections, and the CoronaLight as the global illumination material to actually illuminate the scene. If I use the CoronaLight material alone with the "Visible directly" option on, it appears far too bright, so I wanted to use this "fake" solution to tackle this problem.

But I understand this is a known limination, so I will look for other options. Maybe this will eventually be implemented in the future.

2018-05-08, 23:44:04
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
One solution would be to use two objects, one with light material assigned, emit light turned on and visible directly turned off. Another object would have light material with emit light turned off and visible directly turned on.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-09, 09:25:15
Reply #4

3Disciple

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One solution would be to use two objects, one with light material assigned, emit light turned on and visible directly turned off. Another object would have light material with emit light turned off and visible directly turned on.

This is a really neat solution, and it worked brilliantly! Thanks again for the help!