Author Topic: CoronaBitmap: Check box to acquire bitmap's aspect ratio  (Read 3512 times)

2022-01-26, 17:13:47

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you could, please add a checkbox in the CoronaBitmap to use the aspect ratio of the incoming bitmaps.
This can be useful when using Triplanar mapping, since triplanar doesn't allow to use a UVW map modifier.

Thank you.

2022-01-26, 17:52:15
Reply #1

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-05-05, 10:32:49
Reply #2

claudyo

• Active Users
  • CGI artist / Interior Designer
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Ok, so this feature which is called "Mapping Source" exists in Vray since Vray Next came out, it bugs me why it hasn't been implemented in corona yet. It's such a time saving and I'm sure it will be widely appreciated by everyone. Ondra please add it :D.
Thanks

« Last Edit: 2023-05-05, 10:36:51 by claudyo »

2023-05-05, 11:07:50
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
First of all, please don't try to hijack old topic with unrelated requests, you should create new topic for it instead. Second, Ondra is on parental leave, so your request will have to wait for at least a year before even be considered :D
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-05-05, 16:22:43
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hey, don't worry, Ondra has an army of clones and they are already writing code for this feature.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-05-05, 17:30:29
Reply #5

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-05-10, 14:56:10
Reply #6

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello @lupaz

could you please provide some use cases when having a checkbox for controlling the aspect ratio of bitmaps can be useful? Or maybe some examples?
Generally, please give us more information about your request :)

2023-05-12, 21:16:37
Reply #7

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello @lupaz

could you please provide some use cases when having a checkbox for controlling the aspect ratio of bitmaps can be useful? Or maybe some examples?
Generally, please give us more information about your request :)

It was a while ago, but here there's a video I just made to show when this could be helpful.
With a texture that is not 1:1, triplanar squishes it to fit in a square. Right? Maybe I'm missing something, so take it with a grain of salt.

2023-05-13, 10:29:35
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think you are missing the fact that the only reason why your brick texture looks correct with classic mapping and not with the triplanar, is because your box's mapping is already stretched and when you combine it with also stretched texture, those effects happen to cancel each other in this specific instance. But if you'd apply the same texture to the box that is twice as tall as it is wide, you'd see that now classic mapping is stretching the texture even more than triplanar and you'd need to address this by adjusting either mapping of the box, or tiling of the texture (ideally you want to do both).

I'm not arguing against your request, actually i support it - option to "squarify" a texture with a single mouse click would be nice thing to have, it's just this has nothing to do with triplanar, like you're trying to show in the video.

2023-05-13, 15:54:13
Reply #9

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think you are missing the fact that the only reason why your brick texture looks correct

Thanks.
It was a quick test. I wasn't showing how the texture without the triplanar looks correct. I was showing how with triplanar it gets squared. For this test you can diregard how the texture looks without triplanar. It doesn't really matter.

2023-05-13, 18:03:21
Reply #10

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it's just this has nothing to do with triplanar
I think it has, since triplanar node assumes the texture is squared and because of that it appears distorted. An option to set the width and height of the texture would solve the problem.

2023-05-13, 18:11:44
Reply #11

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
An option to set the width and height of the texture would solve the problem.
Why not just a simple checkbox "respect aspect ratio"?

2023-05-13, 18:18:20
Reply #12

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why not just a simple checkbox "respect aspect ratio"?

I agree. It'd be even better if that option was checked by default

2023-05-13, 23:17:44
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The problem is in the bitmap node, not in triplanar and that's where you should fix it. Original request to acquire texture's aspect ratio in the Corona bitmap node would be correct approach to the issue (yes, that wouldn't help if you want to use 3ds Max bitmap, but look at it as additional motivation to switch to Cbitmap whenever it's possible ;]).

That would be worst solution, because you would ALWAYS need to change two parameters instead of one, even if your texture is square. Essentially you are asking to add more mouse clicks to do the same job.

2023-05-15, 02:07:30
Reply #14

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That would be worst solution, because you would ALWAYS need to change two parameters instead of one, even if your texture is square. Essentially you are asking to add more mouse clicks to do the same job.
I think you're right