Author Topic: Replicate ACES OT in Fusion  (Read 579 times)

2024-01-05, 14:06:42

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there are way to replicate exactly what ACES OT does in Fusion?

The idea being to save out the linear exr and then rebuild what I saw in the VFB when tonemapping stack was turned on?

2024-01-05, 19:26:53
Reply #1

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2024-01-05, 20:42:16
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks - couple of questions though .... explain like I'm 5 years old

Anything I need to be wary about if I'm working in a 32-bit pipeline?  I only ask as the other thread you linked too only mentions 8/16-bit?

Also what exactly is baked into the LUT?

It says 'for Photoshop' I'm assuming it does work with Fusion too otherwise you wouldn't have linked to it :)

2024-01-08, 10:54:10
Reply #3

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks - couple of questions though .... explain like I'm 5 years old

Anything I need to be wary about if I'm working in a 32-bit pipeline?  I only ask as the other thread you linked too only mentions 8/16-bit?

Also what exactly is baked into the LUT?

It says 'for Photoshop' I'm assuming it does work with Fusion too otherwise you wouldn't have linked to it :)

ACES OT makes sense only with hdr input. bit depth does not matter.

the lut consists of ACES OT plus the difference between view transforms of Corona frame buffer and Photoshop.

it works with anything supporting .csp files. Fusion included. just be aware of the above, use the lut with sRGB view transform to get "gamma 2.2" output.

my question is why would you even consider using ACES OT if you are not limited to Corona and Photoshop?

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2024-01-08, 11:06:38
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
my question is why would you even consider using ACES OT if you are not limited to Corona and Photoshop?

To quickly get my Fusion comp back to looking exactly as it did the VFB.  We're not all technically proficient in this area so my question is Why wouldn't I? :)

I like how it looks in the Frame Buffer, and I've got my workflow down while using it in Frame Buffer, so if I can have that as a base in Fusion too then I can experiment further from there as and when I want to/am ready to.  It's worth pointing out, I'm currently new to Fusion and learning every day.  For the last 15+ years I have been limited to Vray/Corona/Photoshop.

2024-01-08, 13:21:10
Reply #5

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you move beyond Corona you have easy access to current ACES transforms. ACES OT is just imperfect interpretation of old 1.2 version (it is close but with noticeable difference in red channel). Probably fine as a “view lut” in most cases but nothing more than that. This thing was outdated from the very beginning.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube