Author Topic: Decals in Shadow Catcher Material black  (Read 570 times)

2024-02-29, 11:34:16

diviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Decals placed in shadow catcher materials are black. No direct light. Only indirect light is visible.
Thanks,
Daniel

2024-02-29, 14:09:48
Reply #1

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if I understand you correctly, but it seems to work fine here. After I changed one thing in your render settings. You had Standard Renderer selected in render settings. Once I changed it to Corona it rendered as expected. Usually Corona knows to use Corona Render instinctively when using Corona IR. For some reason with your file it did not do that for me.

2024-02-29, 14:25:36
Reply #2

diviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is a yellow material on the decal. It shoud render yellow. But its black.

2024-02-29, 14:40:24
Reply #3

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After a second look I kind of see what you mean. If I replace the Shadow Catcher with a standard physical material the Decal material renders as expected. It seems like the only light it receives is just what is reflected  from your cube material (which is next to nothing), and nothing from the hdri, or any other light added that I added.

If I change the cube color to white the Decal renders the correct color although very dark, again because it only seems to be receiving light from the reflection of the cube. If I move the cube closer to the decal it receives more reflected light and gets closer to the correct color.

Long story short...You are correct, I believe this is a bug!
« Last Edit: 2024-02-29, 14:51:01 by Pepelecrabb »

2024-02-29, 14:58:29
Reply #4

diviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. Displacement, bump and self-illumation is working. Only Base layer / diffuse is always black. 

2024-03-04, 08:44:48
Reply #5

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
What if you use a plain + opacity and a shadow catcher? The shadow catcher is design to catch nothing but shadows. ;) It also works this way in 3ds Max. Can you go into more detail about this? I'm not knocking it, just trying to understand the use case. :)

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-03-05, 17:13:34
Reply #6

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried this on a simple road scene I made of my own with two decals ,dashed lines and an asphalt patch both downloaded from Cosmos . The dashed lines were just the letter "I" in a cloner and it worked okay. The asphalt patch was still black.
Scratch that last statement. I tried recreating it again and could not get it to work at all this time with a plane + Opacity Material. I may have had a little self illumination turned on the dashed lines on my previous test scene and forgot. I was trying all kinds of stuff.  I dont think so though and it was acting intermittent in the interactive viewport but worked ok in the renderer.

It's a Shadow Catcher thing. It would be nice if there was a check box on Corona Decal to "Make visible on shadowctcher" like the shadowcatcher illuminator check box with Corona Lights.
« Last Edit: 2024-03-05, 17:56:08 by Pepelecrabb »

2024-03-06, 06:58:51
Reply #7

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Thanks for the update, I have made a request and we can see what happens. ;)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!