Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292365 times)

2015-01-07, 12:58:55
Reply #45

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Another visualization using Unreal:

I had the opportunity to use Unreal for at least two visualizations and is not that difficult once you understand the correct workflow.

This on is really amazing. Love the mood so much!
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-02-10, 10:47:12
Reply #46

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The chalet scene is very cool! Makes me want to buy it (the chalet)! I've finished my New Tamayo museum scene with Corona and I'm going to bring it to ue4 and see if I can get something cool out of it. Congrats XOIO.

2015-02-10, 15:08:38
Reply #47

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This one is also showing some good potentional:

2015-02-11, 02:41:41
Reply #48

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea nice find man! I was thinking about doing an art gallery. I think Ue4 is well suited for this type of stuff!

Concerning the UVw unwrapping, I found this maya 2015 video one of the best to learn about the subject. I might even add Maya 2015 to my workflow just to do my lightmaps.
http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/9258/uv-mapping-made-easy

Anyone have experience with 3ds max vs maya for uvw unwrapping? I heard quite a few times that Maya was better.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-11, 04:53:56 by philippelamoureux »

2015-02-11, 09:02:41
Reply #49

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the 4.5 version there's no need to unwrap anymore for lightmap UV's. At least that's what I've been reading

http://viscorbel.com/ue4-realtime-archviz/

So far I've been messing with Unity alot but the lack of making good lighting and shading is too limited and I sincerely hope that the 5.0 version will solve alot of those issues (If they ever release it...). I'll be giving Unreal 4.5 a go since alot of nice footage is coming out the last months.
If anyone has more footage or workflows for Unreal  I'd like to see those.

2015-02-11, 10:51:17
Reply #50

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes but apparently the auto-generate lightmap sucks. I want to test 2 new features this week, distance field AO and distance field soft shadows!

By the way we are on 4.6.x and 4.7 is coming soon, they previewed it earlier this month. 2-3 weeks I think until it's out.

2015-02-13, 06:00:04
Reply #51

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Recent Koola's environment tests are pretty good. Not sure if he use the 2 new features of ue 4.6 and 4.7 preview which are : really improved foliage instancing and Precomputed lighting and shadows are now supported on foliage objects and instanced meshes! This allows for very efficient rendering in scenes with stationary or static lights.

He made a gorgeous winter forest scene too, https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?58385-Koola-s-stuff

On a side note, I'm getting quite decent results with auto-generate uv lightmaps tonight. I've decided to break my asset into multiple parts in 3ds max, save in fbx, import fbx...in Ue4, cranked lighting settings, high res lighmaps (512-2048), 100 indirect light bounces, etc. This test is with a 12k polygon design connected chair, divided into 8 pieces. As you can see no artifacts or weird shadows

This second test using the auto-generate uv lightmaps, is a 67k triangle wall. lighting quality high for speed (instead of epic), lightmap only 1024! Ground is a brush.

« Last Edit: 2015-02-13, 10:40:02 by philippelamoureux »

2015-02-13, 11:16:36
Reply #52

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
. I want to test 2 new features this week, distance field AO and distance field soft shadows!

You missunderstand these features, the important part is not soft shadows, but distance field ;- ) They are absolutely unsuitable for anything archviz oriented. It just sounds good on paper but when you study the examples a bit better,
you will see where this is actually applicable.

The forest scene looks so bad, like worse then CryEngine1 from 6 years. I don't get this, don't have time to test, but as great as interiors look, the foliage is abysmal.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-13, 11:20:19 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-02-13, 12:13:40
Reply #53

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tested the features with LPV (yea I know, I gave it another try). Everything was bad like you said. Concerning the vegetation I think the main problem is speedtree...the quality isn't that great. I Wonder if it would be possible to use far better trees in 4.7 since they apparently improved the instancing and foliage performance!

On Stream they said ue4 is going to have a built-in grass feature...probably going to look too ''gamey'' but we'll see. But if I'm correct it's not going to be instances of grass patches but more like you'll be able to ''grow'' grass out of a selected surface.

Juraj, one day, if you find time, you should try to remake your Icelandic coastal house project in ue4. It could look very nice!!!
« Last Edit: 2015-02-13, 12:23:16 by philippelamoureux »

2015-02-13, 12:24:18
Reply #54

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Juraj, one day, if you find time, you should try to remake your Icelandic coastal house project in ue4. It could look very nice!!!

In summer I started to make the Kogan house (https://www.facebook.com/jurajtalcik.visualizations/photos/pb.167322623372220.-2207520000.1423826626./580794602025018/?type=1&theater )
in UE4, but the sheer amount of work and little time stopped me :- ) I will finish it though.....some day....
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-02-15, 05:17:06
Reply #55

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd like to see that Juraj, it's a nice scene!!!

Recent winter scene by koola is kinda cool tho...Here's the gif he posted on ue4 forums. I think he nailed it with the falling snow! :-)

2015-02-15, 11:03:25
Reply #56

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That looks gorgeous. Would love to see it in full HD.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-02-15, 12:44:12
Reply #57

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
wow yeah, that one is totally different. The snow on trees and the effect....god that is beautiful. Reminds me of old rpg (MM-6) game where I first saw snowing in first person, it looked horrible by today standards but it left me deeply fascinated.

2015-02-19, 03:26:52
Reply #58

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Neat little feature coming in 4.7 : Automatic Asset Importing!

Importing meshes, sounds and textures has never been easier. Simply save your source art files under your project’s Content folder, and the editor will automatically import the new files, ready to be used in UE4!
If you update these files from an external application, the editor will detect that and automatically reimport your content! This makes iterating on game content much faster.

Also, new dynamic G.I method that could come with 4.8 (currently experimental feature on github master branch). Here's a gif and the link to the discussion about it : https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?2421-Global-Illumination-alternatives/page6

Finally, on stream tomorrow... Tim Sweeney, co-founder of Epic Games (He has never shown is face on stream yet) will make  a big announcement!!! Can't wait to see the boss!
« Last Edit: 2015-02-19, 05:29:26 by philippelamoureux »

2015-02-19, 08:14:08
Reply #59

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Holy smoke!!!! That falling snow, damn, that is something truly amazing :O
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn