Author Topic: Stop IR in viewport ASAP  (Read 6029 times)

2020-10-16, 16:28:08
Reply #15

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So what do you get if you do the above in your scene: create a box, ALT-Q it and start IR? How fast does it work for you?

If I create a box in the same scene I was talking about originally, and isolate it (ALT-Q), Corona renders it immediately.

2020-10-16, 16:42:57
Reply #16

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Holy teapot. This is interesting. Do you have a camera referenced in the FPP objects or set to "Auto assign"? I mean in Forest Object -> Camera

?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-10-16, 17:51:01
Reply #17

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy teapot. This is interesting. Do you have a camera referenced in the FPP objects or set to "Auto assign"? I mean in Forest Object -> Camera

?

Good Luck

They're all in "auto assign to active view" mode.

2020-10-17, 17:11:50
Reply #18

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Forest is launching the 7 version "soon" I really hope that it comes with some magic on the performance side of things, right now is painfully slow to work on big scenes with tons of scattered forest objects.

2020-10-19, 17:01:10
Reply #19

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@lupaz and others with Corona IR+Forest Pack performance issues - can you please send us simple scenes where the issue could be reproduced?
Reminder: it's best to archive the scene with all assets and upload it here - https://corona-renderer.com/upload
Then please let me know here which upload method you chose and what the file name was.
We will also need the exact Corona and FP versions, and how to reproduce the problem.

Thanks!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-10-19, 23:38:42
Reply #20

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sending attached to this message a ZIP file with a very simple scene.
The issue is reproduced in it.
Just click on "start interactive session". It takes a long time before you can stop it or do anything else.

I'm using:
Corona version: 6 (Hotfix 1)
Full-speed, Non-debug, MaxSDK 2020
Build timestamp: Sep 25 2020 15:41:07

Forest Pro 6.2.2

3ds Max 2020.3

Windows 10

Thanks Maru.

2020-10-20, 09:25:06
Reply #21

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Forest Pro 6.2.2
3ds Max 2020.3
Windows 10

And using the above + Corona version: 7 (DailyBuild Sep 16 2020) the (unchanged) scene even crashes after starting/stopping two or three times (exception in LegionLib_Release). This is this kind of issue we have permanently here - and since years. Same with Camera movement: Put FPP into debug mode and watch/monitor max.log when moving the cam: It permanently creates its 458192 items at every single move and slows down everything because the camera is referenced into the Forest object and FP updates the distribution. If you A) change from CoronaCamera to perspective or B) remove it from the Camera section of FP, it does what it should for IR: objects are created only once and you can move around normally. Stopping IR works immediately in all cases though.

Good Luck

Edit: removed meanwhile obsolete dump file
« Last Edit: 2022-01-31, 13:58:11 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-10-21, 23:13:32
Reply #22

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The same happens with hair and fur

2020-10-26, 14:02:52
Reply #23

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks Lupaz. I was able to reproduce it using your scene. It also doesn't happen with V-Ray, which is interesting.

(Internal ID=584187302)

2020-10-26, 14:17:45
Reply #24

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

And using the above + Corona version: 7 (DailyBuild Sep 16 2020) the (unchanged) scene even crashes after starting/stopping two or three times (exception in LegionLib_Release). This is this kind of issue we have permanently here - and since years. Same with Camera movement: Put FPP into debug mode and watch/monitor max.log when moving the cam: It permanently creates its 458192 items at every single move and slows down everything because the camera is referenced into the Forest object and FP updates the distribution. If you A) change from CoronaCamera to perspective or B) remove it from the Camera section of FP, it does what it should for IR: objects are created only once and you can move around normally. Stopping IR works immediately in all cases though.

Good Luck

I did not get a crash when starting and stopping IR 5 times in the scene Lupaz provided with the Corona 7 daily. It always starts rendering eventually, after a long freeze.
No crashes when moving the camera either, but it froze for a much longer time.

There have always been issues with Forest's "limit to camera visibility" option and Corona, especially with IR.