Author Topic: "Invisible in masks" doesn't apply to z-depth  (Read 3531 times)

2021-01-29, 02:03:20

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is a bug, but I hope it's not a feature!  In v5 the z-depth was apparently treated as a "mask", and this functioned very nicely.  Why was this removed?

2021-02-02, 02:32:48
Reply #1

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
no comment on this?  in my opinion it's a huge archviz workflow issue.

2021-02-02, 12:58:34
Reply #2

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

sorry that the answer took a bit longer than usual, I have been asking and scouring about this.
We have something logged regarding this issue but due to infrequent mentions from the userbase, we have scarce resources when handling this issue.
That's where you can help us! Would it be possible to prep a scene in which you encounter this issue in V5->V6 transition? It would help us greatly.

Thank you,
Jan

FYI: It seems that this feature was removed while implementing the mask propagation within the material's Advanced tab, we're looking into whether it was intentional or not.
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-02-02, 19:54:52
Reply #3

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That's where you can help us! Would it be possible to prep a scene in which you encounter this issue in V5->V6 transition? It would help us greatly.

thank you for acknowledging the issue!

As far as prepping a scene - the issue it is not something I have experienced, as far as a "transition" when opening the same scene in v5 vs. v7. 
It is simpler than that, actually.

in v5 I can UNTICK the "Visible in masks" option (in the "Advanced" channel of a material) - this will make the material (for example glass), invisible in masks, such as IDmaterial and ZDepth both.

in v7 (and v6, I presume, but I haven't tested) this "Visible in masks" option was removed, and replaced with a "Propegate masks" roll-out menu, where one of the options is "Invisible in masks" (which I assume should be identical to unchecking "Visible in masks") - thsi will make the material invisible in ID passes, but HAS NO EFFECT ON THE ZDEPTH pass..

So, it's clear that there was a change in how the ZDEPTH is handled (as a mask)...  hopefully this is indeed a bug.

2021-02-03, 10:06:54
Reply #4

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Thanks for clarifying. I will get on it and get back to you once I discuss this with the developers.

Jan

2021-03-13, 18:22:10
Reply #5

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any update on this?  I hope it will be addressed in next build?

2021-03-15, 09:24:07
Reply #6

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

it is placed in our reporting system but however this has been regarded as a lower-priority issue, so I'm afraid this will have to wait until it is fixed.

Thank you for understanding,
Jan