Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520536 times)

2020-01-14, 17:16:27
Reply #795

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great news Lupaz,

Any corona speed tests yet? Scribble something if you have time.

Here it goes:
Corona 1.3 Benchmark Finished
BTR Scene 16 passes
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor
 Real CPU Frequency [GHz]: 4.1
Render Time: 0:00:57, Rays/sec: 8,488,230

2020-01-14, 18:15:57
Reply #796

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When you lower the frequency, you can also lower the timings, none of these things are fixed :- ). These are overclocked modules.

It's actually strategy some people take, they buy much higher frequency modules and then run them at highest (but lower than bought one) stable frequency with fastest timings they can get.
But this requires bit of patience and of course those modules aren't on any QVL set. There should even be some UEFI presets for memory you can just pick from.

So 3600 16/19/16/39 can become 3200 14/18/18/38 for example or maybe even faster (14/16/16 ?).

Ok, very cool.  I feel better about my odds of finding an acceptable 128gb timing and clock setup with these modules then.  Cheers and thanks as always for the insight.

2020-01-15, 07:52:58
Reply #797

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a thermal update for those interested in this 3970x build.  I added half a dozen noctua fans to the case and closed it up.  I had Corona rendering away for 30 minutes and the CPU seemed to stabilize at 77C.  CPU core speed averaged around 3.85ghz.  I haven't tweaked PBO or anything like that so I'm assuming this is typical for this CPU under a uniform multi-threaded load?

During denoising (long, with lightmix) the CPU hit between 82-86C which doesn't surprise me since it's evidently more of an intense CPU load than simple rendering.  Core speeds started jumping around, never apparently dropping below 3.8ghz (which tells me it wasn't throttling) but often climbing to 4.2+ ghz which I thought was interesting.  I have no idea how the latest threadripper determines individual core speed.

EDIT:  Doing another 1 hr render.  Somewhere along the line HWMonitor reported a spike to 97C (!!!) but otherwise at 78C and 3.85ghz.  If temps consistently spike that high I might have to look for another cooler...
« Last Edit: 2020-01-15, 09:24:39 by danio1011 »

2020-01-15, 10:59:07
Reply #798

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't think you should worry. But this shows that current Air Coolers are absolutely on verge of limit at all times. So everyone should avoid PBO unless they have custom loop :- ). (I don't get the logic of anyone trying anyway..?)

Those spikes are mostly due to intra-die temperatures, because biggest issue isn't thermal dissipation from heatsink but transfer away from dies onto coldplate. sTR4 is pretty big socket and the dies are relatively well spread (although closer in 3960/3970X than they were in 2xxx get, this is so that 3990X would fit), this issue is bigger with 3950X which has high spikes due to small AM4 socket.

There is no other cooler anyway. You can just wait until Noctua releases one after summer.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-15, 16:37:48
Reply #799

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
this issue is bigger with 3950X which has high spikes due to small AM4 socket.

In my case (3950x) I have the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4, the fans are set to silent mode on the BIOS, I have PBO enabled and my temps after 30 minutes are:

While rendering: Max:68.5. Average: 65.2
While denoising: Max 78.3

Pretty happy so far.

2020-01-15, 16:48:41
Reply #800

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah I am super happy with the 3950X and NH-D15 (non S, I had older version in my drawer).

I had some spikes due to ASUS bios having hard-set thermal limit at 75C where it will force PWM fans into 100perc. regardless of your profile/curve.
Apparently this can be solved by installing their windows software but I never do it.

For this reason I like to install low-noise adapters to do 'hard-cap' on RPM.

The next NH-D15(16?) iteration will be fantastic on TR4 since it can fit like one or two more heatpipes. If they could just like...hurry up.

BTW: My second Lian-Li V3000 came today, OptimusWC block should ship this Friday. Still can't source Aorus Xtreme anywhere...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-01-15, 18:33:04
Reply #801

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think you should worry. But this shows that current Air Coolers are absolutely on verge of limit at all times. So everyone should avoid PBO unless they have custom loop :- ). (I don't get the logic of anyone trying anyway..?)

Those spikes are mostly due to intra-die temperatures, because biggest issue isn't thermal dissipation from heatsink but transfer away from dies onto coldplate. sTR4 is pretty big socket and the dies are relatively well spread (although closer in 3960/3970X than they were in 2xxx get, this is so that 3990X would fit), this issue is bigger with 3950X which has high spikes due to small AM4 socket.

There is no other cooler anyway. You can just wait until Noctua releases one after summer.

Ok great, that's good to know about the relevance of temperature spikes.  I guess by 'another cooler' I meant custom loop, vague wording on my part sorry.  Considering the cost of this machine to date a custom loop is not a huge investment.  It's really more just the hassle.  But I'd do it if it meant a stable system.

That said, it rendered all night, never hit above 88C again and has been stable.  So far the 3970x is quite the upgrade over a 1950x :)

As for sourcing the Aorus Extreme, can you not order from Amazon US?  I'm sure I'm just ignorant about imports or policies, just curious how that works for European customers.

2020-01-15, 18:49:51
Reply #802

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
For identical price, I loose one year of warranty and complicate the process of warrantying. (Having to go through Gigabyte instead of just dropping it to retailer I got it from).
For sensitive parts like motherboard, I would rather buy this at home.

2020-01-16, 11:16:46
Reply #803

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Finally sourced Aorus Xtreme my dudes :- ). After email from local retailer telling me that even Gigabyte Europe doesn't know when they'll have any restock, I decided to go for Amazon.
And fun thing.. Amazon.es was MSRP (990 euro) while Amazon.de was 1270 euro (LOL), both Amazon as seller directly, I never buy from 3rd party on Amazon (for that we have eBay with paypal protection).

Should arrive on Monday and hopefully it's the correct one.

Can't source any memory kits though, so I will probably risk buying 4 kits separately.

2020-01-16, 13:13:50
Reply #805

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazon as seller directly, I never buy from 3rd party on Amazon

me too, only buying from amazon- Ships from and sold by Amazon.com, never had any problem and shipment is also fast.
Tomorrow my CPU and MB will arrive to me, hope all will be fine.

BTW 2990 already selling on ebay for 1200$, 2 months ago was hard to find even for 1500$ :D

2020-01-16, 13:29:46
Reply #806

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
this one ?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-x570-aorus-xtreme-amd-x570-am4-ddr4-pcie-40-triple-m2-2-way-sli-crossfire-10g-gbe-wifi-usb?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYHUoIqI5wIVyrTtCh1jMg7lEAQYAiABEgJuDPD_BwE

No, that is X570 for Ryzen, the TRX40 version for Threadripper.

so I will probably risk buying 4 kits separately <--- explain please?
are you doing what i am going to do? purchase these two kits and make 128gig?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-vengeance-lpx-64gb-2x32gb-ddr4-pc4-28800c18-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-4cf-cs.html

Yes, put 4 (2x32GB) kits for 256GB Kit. I would like to get working XMP profile out of the box, so I can only buy 3200 modules with best timings. G.Skill offers 16/18/18/38 while Corsair 16/20/20/40, it leads me to believe they much have done little bit more sampling. (Or not).
It's also possible to do what you did, buy even faster modules and then run them slower in frequency but with faster timings. But I would love to get out-of-the-box working solution in ideal case.

2020-01-16, 21:42:00
Reply #807

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Point taken about the 3000 RPM fans, heh.

Congratulations on sourcing the Extreme!  I bet you'll love it!

I've been experiencing BSODs and crashes to desktop the last 12 hours or so.  I've also been utilizing more of my memory because I'm starting to do post production while rendering, which I hadn't previously.  I disabled the XMP profile and am going to see how it treats me, 3600 is probably just pushing it.  If that doesn't fix it I'll start doing some detective work on stop codes etc.

Edit:  Dropping to stock memory profile (2133mhz) speed only impacted the benchmark by 2 seconds, up to 30 seconds from 28.  Huh, I would have expected a way bigger difference.  So far the system is stable again.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-17, 00:45:06 by danio1011 »

2020-01-17, 10:09:06
Reply #808

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah the 3960/3970X have much better I/O without any compromise (like 2990WX) so there isn't massive impact anymore.

This is why it's good to ignore all those Reddit posts "Bro, you are leaving performance on table if you don't buy 3600!! Every one know Ryzen needs fastest memory".

So definitely drop to save 2933/3200. BSODs are 90perc. memory related (occasionally driver issue).

2020-01-17, 11:23:10
Reply #809

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So I ordered this from Amazon Spain yesterday...and it came today in morning. This is one thick, big-ass board. Looks fantastic.

My new EKWB parts came as well (new matte tubing and Torque fittings, look very industrial, no more that plastic crap but I had to move to thicker tubing).
So that leaves the CPU & Optimus block only!