Author Topic: romullus wips  (Read 225782 times)

2018-09-21, 21:36:33
Reply #360

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To be honest, i don't know, i never tried to paint on a very high poly mesh. Not sure how well the Painter handles high number of polygons. My guess is, that there shouldn't be big issues. The truck was already subdivided when i got it, but the mesh isn't very dense - whole truck is about 150K and there's no issues whatsoever, even with my underpowered hardware.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-09-23, 08:05:30
Reply #361

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Jeez man, mind blown. Something about the light and material on that car is just wonderful.

A making of video would be equally wonderful. ;> 

2018-09-23, 12:07:23
Reply #362

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks Benny, i'm planning to work more on truck's textures, maybe on the enviroment as well. As for the making of, i never did anything like that and i think that this scene probably would be worst candidate to start :] But if you have some questions, you may fire them away and i'll try to answer as best as i can.

2018-09-23, 19:25:44
Reply #363

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well to begin with the lighting around the area around the grille and down to the wet dirt looks incredible. Are you somehow obstructing a large size light combined with an hydro to get that softness? That chrome material gives it almost a toy car effect that really stands out as well. What resolution did you render this?

2018-09-23, 23:15:21
Reply #364

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Lighting is very simple - just Corona sky&sun and moderately sized Corona light close to the camera, pointed to truck's front - you can see its reflection close to the front wheel arch. I also lifted shadows in lightroom and boosted midtones just a touch, i wish Corona VFB would have some tools to help with shadows and midtones.

Regarding resolution, i uploaded original size - this is the maximum my pc can handle for this scene :]

2018-09-24, 13:56:44
Reply #365

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That scene is actually a very good candidate for v2 vs v3 tests (e.g. the new autobump).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-09-24, 14:36:03
Reply #366

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Actually i just did some quick autobump test and results are pretty puzling. I'm going to post my findings in daily builds topic.

2018-09-25, 13:55:19
Reply #367

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That scene is actually a very good candidate for v2 vs v3 tests (e.g. the new autobump).

Just tested autobump on this scene. The difference is quite subtle, but it's an improvement for sure. Build-09-20 image is a bit noisier, just because i render it shorter.

2018-12-02, 14:56:39
Reply #368

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Started to revisit my material library in Connecter. Here's how it's looking now.

2018-12-02, 15:52:55
Reply #369

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How are you satisfied with the workflow ? Materials are the last thing I didn't migrate yet from Siger, but maybe because I couldn't be bothered to set the workflow up.

What mapping is that btw ? Spherified box ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-12-02, 16:37:28
Reply #370

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, sperified box with planar mapping. I think it works pretty well in most cases.

As for my workflow, to be honest, i'm not really satisfied with it. It's very time consuming and tedious. Not sure if it's because i'm slow in general or because Connecter still has much room for improvement. Some its undocumented features can be hard to comprehend without much testing or sometimes pure luck. Also all this thing is quite new to me, so i make many mistakes and have to redo things several times (little perfectionist inside me, don't know words "good enough"). But little by little i'm moving forward and once i'll finish... heck, i'll probably never finish :]

2018-12-03, 00:01:39
Reply #371

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice!

I'm also trying to organize my materials better, but got a bit put off by the awkward preview rendering setup. Since the Connecter people live by selling models I can understand that they aren't that interested in putting a lot of efforts in improving the material part. Still, it would be great to have all resources under one interface. Also like that this isn't a plugin for Max but can be worked in independently.

So looking at your folders, you have a 3ds Max and a models-scenes, what is the difference between these? I also notice that you have a Textures folder but not a Materials, where do you logically place these?

You should totally sell this library!

2018-12-03, 02:01:51
Reply #372

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Romullus,
Can you perhaps quickly describe how do you create material previews in Connecter?
Like Juraj, materials library is the only thing that I didn't fully move to Connecter yet. Mainly because of weak documentation on this topic, I think I only tried to batch create previews once or twice, I failed and never went back to it again. So seeing your workflow on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2018-12-03, 11:54:49
Reply #373

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm also trying to organize my materials better, but got a bit put off by the awkward preview rendering setup. Since the Connecter people live by selling models I can understand that they aren't that interested in putting a lot of efforts in improving the material part. Still, it would be great to have all resources under one interface. Also like that this isn't a plugin for Max but can be worked in independently.

I think that material thumbnail rendering system is on par with their 3D assets thumbnail rendering system, but it's poorly documented and that what makes it hard to start using it. I might make short HOW TO later, when i'll more familiarise with the workflow. As for not being 3ds Max plugin, for 3d assets that's great, but i'm not sure how important it is for materials. I don't know if Connecter  supports anything else except mat files. Maybe C4D materials? And hopefully they will support Corona universal material once it will hit daylight.

So looking at your folders, you have a 3ds Max and a models-scenes, what is the difference between these? I also notice that you have a Textures folder but not a Materials, where do you logically place these?

Folder structure is relevant only to me, it may not make sense for anybody else. 3ds Max is the name of the folder where i keep all my projects, all the rest, are asset folders. Material files are saved in the corresponding texture folders.

You should totally sell this library!

Nah, 99% textures aren't authored by me, but rather gathered from all around in internet, no selling is possible.

Can you perhaps quickly describe how do you create material previews in Connecter?

Yes, i probably will do something like that in the future.

2018-12-13, 10:41:00
Reply #374

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For some reason3ds max asset tracking window on my pc, goes offscreen with a frequency of 1-2 times a week. Since there's no easy way to recover it in windows 10 (at least i don't know any), i get very frustrating every time that happens. Luckily after some googling, i found an excellent sollution. I just need to drag any .max or .mat file from Connecter to 3ds max viewport and from contextual menu choose about/config...>3ds max: asset tracking... and voila, that bastard window jumps in front of your eyes!

Source of the idea: https://ikonoform.com/3ds-max-asset-tracker-wont-open/