Author Topic: Further fate of the Legacy  (Read 2219 times)

2022-01-17, 21:27:14

aler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
Important question to developers: what will happen next with Legacy Material, it will remain forever as parallel to Physical, or in the future Physical his will completely replace and Legacy will be removed from Corona?
And if Legacy is eliminated in the future, then what about Material Library, where Legacy prevails?
« Last Edit: 2022-01-17, 21:30:55 by aler »

2022-01-18, 10:10:32
Reply #1

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

we want the users to use Physical material as much as possible, but there are no immediate plans to remove Legacy material at the moment.
If and when it is removed, Material Library assets will have been fully replaced by physical material ones.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2022-01-18, 12:31:06
Reply #2

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope we don't lose the legacy material. Sometimes it's necessary to make 'fake' materials that can't be made with the physical... For example sometimes I want a different IOR for refraction than for reflection. That can't be done with the new physical material.

2022-01-18, 13:41:31
Reply #3

Designcoyote1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope we don't lose the legacy material. Sometimes it's necessary to make 'fake' materials that can't be made with the physical... For example sometimes I want a different IOR for refraction than for reflection. That can't be done with the new physical material.
I Strongly agree with you, the Legacy Material should be maintained.

2022-01-18, 15:24:56
Reply #4

aler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Jan, thanks for the reply.
Totally agree. I really liked Physical Material, especially its physical logic and functioning. This makes it easy to make the right materials. But this is also its disadvantage, because with Physical now it is impossible to create an arbitrary fake "artistic" material. For example, so that the metal turns into plastic.
Using a simple example, I tried to repeat the old Legacy with the help of the new Physical. It didn't work. For a simple material it is easy, but for a more complex one I had to make a composite of 2 Physical, although Legacy alone used to be enough (Layered Material not to offer - I don't like him). And Converter... - it is sad and it is only suitable for the most simple.
So for artists, Legacy is still needed.

2022-01-18, 16:51:35
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, keep the legacy alive! (Copied that from somewhere else ;))

2022-01-19, 12:58:21
Reply #6

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"I hope we don't lose the legacy material. Sometimes it's necessary to make 'fake' materials that can't be made with the physical."

yes please, keep the classic mat as option!

2022-01-20, 09:58:31
Reply #7

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
I will voice your opinions onwards.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.