Author Topic: Typical decomposition into render elements  (Read 16040 times)

2014-01-14, 13:47:27

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I am redoing the render elements, and I am wondering, how should the TYPICAL decomposition of beauty pass into elements look like - what are the typical elements one separates the scene into? What I am currently planning is this:

diffuse direct + diffuse indirect + reflect + refract + translucency + emission

Do you think some of these should be divided further (for example direct/indirect translucency), or less (for example no separate direct/indirect diffuse)?

This will be just default setup of render elements, but there will be possibility to make custom render elements with custom contribution arrangements.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-14, 14:01:52 by Rawalanche »
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-01-14, 14:09:16
Reply #1

mp5gosu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lighting + Global Illumination + Reflection + Specular + Refraction + Sub-Surface Scattering + Self Illumination
and full:
Diffuse * (Raw Light + Raw Global Illumination) + Raw Reflection * Reflection Filter + Specular + Raw Refraction * Refraction Filter + Sub-Surface Scattering + Self Illumination

source: http://vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/Combining_3D_Passes

2014-01-14, 14:11:20
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What is the difference between reflection and specular in this case?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-01-14, 14:18:42
Reply #3

mp5gosu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Specular is a fake reflection and - of course - not really needed for physical renderers.

2014-01-14, 14:19:04
Reply #4

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
How to split direct / indirect lighting in case of hdri?

2014-01-14, 14:24:59
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the initial formula sounds good... but where's the shadow element? It's missing in each formula posted so far.

2014-01-14, 14:30:20
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think the initial formula sounds good... but where's the shadow element? It's missing in each formula posted so far.

Compositing shadows does not work...  it never did, maybe in scanline, but even there, it caused a hell of a lot of problems. Only compositing that will give you correct result is ADDitive. Shadows can not be composed additively. It is extremely old legacy way of compositing where you did not expect to compose same result as you beauty pass.

2014-01-14, 14:31:07
Reply #7

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Just want to link this thread for completeness: http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,1858.msg13903.html#msg13903 ("Render Elements reordering")

Basic (as suggested):
diffuse direct + diffuse indirect + reflect + refract + translucency + emission

better:
Diffusecolor + diffuse direct + diffuse indirect + reflect GI + reflectDirect  + translucency + emission
reflect direct is the reflection part coming from direct light sources, already doable by dividing existing REs but would be a fine thing since it somehow feels like speculars (see linked thread above). This one would pretty much correspond to what people should know from other renderers.

all above that (more splitted-up elements) is personal taste imho - like normals and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-14, 14:35:04 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-01-14, 14:34:41
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
How to split direct / indirect lighting in case of hdri?

HDRI in Corona is the same light as all others, so it is direct

2014-01-14, 14:44:14
Reply #9

bograt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would have to test this to confirm but in the past I think I tried to blend reflect and diffuse in Photoshop using linear dodge (add) and the results seemed inaccurate or incomplete.
It is sometimes very useful to output individual elements or light sources and blend in photoshop, nuke etc. using the add blending mode.
Cheers

Jules

2014-01-14, 14:44:55
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I would have to test this to confirm but in the past I think I tried to blend reflect and diffuse in Photoshop using linear dodge (add) and the results seemed inaccurate or incomplete.
It is sometimes very useful to output individual elements or light sources and blend in photoshop, nuke etc. using the add blending mode.
Cheers

Jules

that is because you need to add them without gamma and then add new gamma

2014-01-14, 14:48:07
Reply #11

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
May be it's not about this topic, but is it possible to get element for special material ID with AA? Just mask. It would help a lot in postproduction. Something like Render Mask script which I used with vray?

2014-01-14, 15:10:53
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There are plenty of mask elements, so it can be done already

2014-01-14, 15:32:17
Reply #13

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't forget that RAW passes are actually very important here because in most cases you will be utilizing the actual BEAUTY pass and dividing it into secondary passes. Otherwise your AA won't work, unfortunately.

2014-01-14, 16:11:06
Reply #14

andreupuig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • APtecture
Is possible an element wich include direct lighting for every light/group of lights? (yes, something like vrayLightSelect element) It could be very useful for partially re-light the image without re-render everything.