Author Topic: Mesh turn transparent in View port  (Read 2328 times)

2023-02-28, 18:18:57

Shot12

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey it's me again, I've been having this problem every time i assign a corona material to a mesh it goes transparent in the 3d view, only the outline is visible, I tried to ignore it as the parts render fine but now my scene is so big that its hard to distinguish what im looking at, tried inverting the normals but no luck.

its probably something simple but haven't been able to solve it.

It happens with all materials from the corona Library or even using physical materials with presets.
I've attached a photo to show what i mean.

2023-03-01, 13:51:53
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It's hard to tell looking at the screenshot: is it becoming transparent or black?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-03-01, 17:21:58
Reply #2

Shot12

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep it goes transparent, as it was made of "glass" and if the mesh overlaps with another one that's also transparent it completely disappears only way to see it is hovering over it and hoping it shows the outline.
a few examples.

I have to use the clay Mode to be able to see the model

It does not affect the render in any way, only the viewport.

2023-03-09, 16:30:25
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay!
Which version of Corona and 3ds Max are you using?

I tried reproducing this by applying a Corona Physical Mtl with the "Chrom rough" preset, but my object does not become transparent. Same with the Corona Material Library materials.

Just to make sure: if you right-click on your object and go to its properties, you are not using the "see-through" option, right? (the default shortcut is Alt+X)

If the above does not help, could you attach any sample scene where you are getting this? (it can be even a single teapot with a problematic material applied to it)

2023-03-22, 17:10:47
Reply #4

Shot12

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru, thanks! Sorry for not answering sooner.
Someone broke into our office a few weeks ago and stole some of our equipment, but we're back with renders again.

Using 3dsmax 2023 with corona 9.

Tried with alt X and no luck, objects still show transparent. i think it has something to do with vrscan materials.
I was able to replicate the problem with the tea pot, but only using scanned mats (file atached below).
Also have other file with some parts from our production renders, where it happens to most materials. In that file we also used vrscan mats but only on "carpaint and carbon".(170 mb file). How can i send you this file?

Thanks!

2023-03-22, 19:41:00
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Try to turn off transparency in viewport preferences - 3ds Max 2023 has this bug where it sometimes shows some objects as transparent for no apparent reason. Turning transparency off solves this issue, but you'll loose any transparency in that viewport - still much better than a viewport full of ghost objects.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-23, 09:32:38
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In your original post you mentioned materials from the Corona Material Library and even a Physical Mtl - is this true, or was it a mistake?

If it only happens with Chaos Scans in Corona, please try our latest daily build: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.0
There were some fixes to Scanned Mtl appearing transparent in the viewport.

2023-05-15, 13:06:28
Reply #7

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I also have the same issue in some scenes, and as an alternative to Romullus's solution, you can leave the transparency as it is (object sorting), but change the material rendering level from advanced material to basic material.

Please look at my attachment.
« Last Edit: 2023-05-15, 14:10:31 by brr »

2023-05-15, 16:24:09
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I also have the same issue in some scenes, and as an alternative to Romullus's solution, you can leave the transparency as it is (object sorting), but change the material rendering level from advanced material to basic material.

Could you please share this scene with us? (or a similar one where the issue occurs) - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2023-05-16, 11:40:46
Reply #9

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could you please share this scene with us? (or a similar one where the issue occurs) - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hello Maru,

I have submitted the scenes with ID #116656.

Best regards

2023-05-16, 15:18:42
Reply #10

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Hello Maru,

I have submitted the scenes with ID #116656.

Best regards

This issue is related only to "Advanced Material" option in Viewport preferences > Settings (first tab) > Material Rendering Level.
There is non-transparent material applied to the blue object and the expected result is to not see anything through it. Changing this option to default "Material Editor Setting" or "Basic Material" fixes everything.
And this is a 3ds Max glitch rather than anything related to Corona.

The original issue:

Hey Maru, thanks! Sorry for not answering sooner.
Someone broke into our office a few weeks ago and stole some of our equipment, but we're back with renders again.

Using 3dsmax 2023 with corona 9.

Tried with alt X and no luck, objects still show transparent. i think it has something to do with vrscan materials.
I was able to replicate the problem with the tea pot, but only using scanned mats (file atached below).
Also have other file with some parts from our production renders, where it happens to most materials. In that file we also used vrscan mats but only on "carpaint and carbon".(170 mb file). How can i send you this file?

Thanks!

is related to CoronaScannedMtl, and has been resolved already in the daily builds (01-24 DB).
You can test the scene with the latest daily build and see if the issue is still there:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.msg212584#msg212584

Remember to back up the scene(s) when opening them with Daily builds.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-05-16, 15:44:48
Reply #11

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This issue is related only to "Advanced Material" option in Viewport preferences > Settings (first tab) > Material Rendering Level.
There is non-transparent material applied to the blue object and the expected result is to not see anything through it. Changing this option to default "Material Editor Setting" or "Basic Material" fixes everything.
And this is a 3ds Max glitch rather than anything related to Corona.

Hello Aram,

Thank you and the support team for promptly investigating my two scenes.

Indeed, this is different issue.

To be honest, changing the material rendering level in the viewport settings is just one of three possible ways to restore normal viewport behavior.
It is not yet clear whether changing the Material Rendering Level from "advanced" to "basic" permanently helps, as an second option we can also simply switch the Viewport Display Mode to "performance" and then back to "standard" and achieve the same result.
And the third way is to disable transparency in the viewport settings.

Have you noticed all three of these methods?

It's interesting that this bug persists even in newer versions of 3ds Max, such as 2023 and 2024. I will report it to Autodesk.

Best regards
« Last Edit: 2023-05-17, 11:07:36 by brr »

2023-10-04, 08:58:07
Reply #12

CGArroyo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there!

Any known solution?

Ive been working on a scene for a couple months and lately, a floor with terrazzo material just suddenly becomes transparent. Only be able to see the boundaries when it is selected.

If I restart max, it appears again.

Its a big pain in the ass becaus I seeing all the 1st floor ceiling models and cant even guess if I working properly.

2023-10-04, 09:22:36
Reply #13

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there!

Any known solution?

Ive been working on a scene for a couple months and lately, a floor with terrazzo material just suddenly becomes transparent. Only be able to see the boundaries when it is selected.

Its a big pain in the ass becaus I seeing all the 1st floor ceiling models and cant even guess if I working properly.

Hi,

Have you tried the possible solutions above?
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-10-04, 09:30:22
Reply #14

CGArroyo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there!

Any known solution?

Hi,

Have you tried the possible solutions above?

Yes, I tried all of them, and they are not working. Actually, some other models also dissapeared.

They are fine when rendering, but they dont show up in any viewport mode. Not even in clay.

« Last Edit: 2023-10-04, 09:40:28 by CGArroyo »