Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] I need help!

AMD 3990X massive slowdowns

<< < (2/3) > >>

Juraj:

--- Quote from: FS-Marc on 2022-09-16, 12:09:08 ---
--- Quote from: Juraj on 2022-09-16, 11:36:03 ---Maybe it's just expectations but I've never seen other people complain about it or maybe other people just don't use heavy scenes I don't know.

--- End quote ---

Do you experience it only in "heavy scenes"? I made the experience that it does not matter how heavy or light the scene is.

--- End quote ---

No, I probably should have worded that differently, I speak too much stuff at once. The lag is there even in empty scene IR.

Nejc Kilar:

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2022-09-16, 12:34:56 ---Interesting.. I am curious what that could be :- ).

I think 3990X suffers from this somewhat more since the memory Controller is probably overwhelmed during Multi-threaded use, enough to create "traffic jam" for any further single-core use.
2990WX suffered from this because only half of dies had direct memory controller access, but this is no longer the case with 3990X.

But since 3970X fares better with identical IO and 280W (this 280W is shared not only by 3/4/8 respective die, but also by IO, so the IO can get starved by juice as well).

I never actually disabled SMT myself, now I will experiment as well. Def not want to dedicate my 3990X into node yet :- ).

--- End quote ---

This is just my personal observation, the devs will probably know more because they are the real brainiacs but my impression is that whatever is happening in Cinema 4D is a bit more complex and could be related to the way the threads are being scheduled or that kind of complex stuff I honestly don't really understand perfectly myself.

On the responsive or not front, I personally haven't noticed my 3970x (~3.6 all core) being any faster UI wise than for example the 5995wx (~3.2 all core) with the exception of whatever happens in Cinema 4D. That's subjective though, I haven't measured anything, just my impression. It's also true that it is comparing Zen 2 vs Zen 3 so there might be differences there at play such as the IPC prowess.

FS-Marc:

--- Quote from: Nejc Kilar on 2022-09-16, 12:11:59 ---For the time being what you can try doing is disabling the SMT in your BIOS. That will effectively be disabling multi-threading on your CPU which means you will be running with 64 cores and 64 threads instead of 64 cores and 128 threads. Without a question that is not an ideal solution because you'll lose a good chunk of performance (roughly ~20-30% or there abouts) but it beats limiting the threads inside Cinema 4D to 12 as you mentioned. The UI and everything should work quite butter smooth once you do that.

Do note that messing with the BIOS is something you're doing at your own peril. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the SMT toggle :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip will try that as soon as I am back in our office and give some feedback.

--- Quote from: Nejc Kilar on 2022-09-16, 12:11:59 ---Just to make this super clear though, we have identified the issue and are working to fix it so the above should be a temporary solution if you're running into the issue you're mentioning.

--- End quote ---

Awesome to hear!

FS-Marc:

--- Quote from: Nejc Kilar on 2022-09-16, 12:11:59 ---Do note that messing with the BIOS is something you're doing at your own peril. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the SMT toggle :)

Just to make this super clear though, we have identified the issue and are working to fix it so the above should be a temporary solution if you're running into the issue you're mentioning.

--- End quote ---

Thanks you very much for the advice. I can confirm this method resolves the problem (with a hit to performance . This makes my work process much faster so the tradeoff is worth it for now. Hopefully one day we can make use of the cpu as supposed to.

4b4:
Hi, chiming in over here as a 5995WX user with exactly the same experience in C4D. I've disabled SMT so I've got a usable machine at least but it's a painful move to make having just lost a kidney to pay for the machine 😀

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version