Author Topic: Recreating a scene  (Read 1358 times)

2020-06-09, 00:22:41

seanpa

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys!

Im currently trying to recreate a scene I saw on behance for learning purposes as I'm not familiar with studio setups yet.

I cant manage to match the lighting and materials though and would be very thankful if someone could give me advice or adjust the scene I attached so I can take a look at it and see what I did wrong.

I know that the light in the reference is much more direct for example but if I move the light closer, the specularity on the object become way too strong.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

2020-06-09, 10:29:33
Reply #1

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Hi Seanpa

I am sure you are familiar with 3 point lighting.
If not just a quick overview..
1. Key light ( main light that casts the predominant shadow )
2. Fill light ( normally at about 90 degree in relation to the key light, lightens the shadow )
3. Back light ( not always necessary but used to brighten the image from behind and add some nice highlights )

How I go about with this setup is to have those three corona lights in my scene and set up a light mix
Disable all the lights to begin with and first activate the key light and only the key light , play around in interactive to ensure the angle is right and play around with the intensity to ensure nice shadows and evenly lit object.
Next activate the fill light and importantly ensure that you do not have two cast shadows on the object , in other words ensure that the intensity of the fill light is a lot less than the key light, again play around with the intensity ensuring the main cast shadow is brighten up a bit.
lastly activate the back light and ensure that it does not "compete" with the other 2 lights it should just add a bit of ambiance to the entire object.

If the above is old news to you : ) apologies, but maybe it can be use full to somebody else

Kind regards