Author Topic: BUG: R20 v4 Hotfix3 - tiny, but super annoying bug in VFB input fields (WIN10)  (Read 3344 times)

2019-10-25, 04:31:16

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This always annoyed me, but i finally was able to give exact description:

In VFB editor window>Tone mapping>exposure...  let's say I have a value of -1.5 for my EV, and now I want to adjust this with a new value, so I double-click the input field to select everything....  except the "-" sign is NOT selected.  So, normally I would quickly input a new value - let's say -3, to make the adjustment....  but the value is not accepted in the field - it stays the same as before, except now the whole value, including the "-" sign is selected, so if i enter "-3" again, it will work this second time.
If the first time, I just enter "4" it will register as "-4", because the "-" sign is still there.

I know the work-around is to not double-click, but instead use the backspace to erase the existing value, and then enter the correct value...  but who has time for that? LOL

I know this is probably the most ridiculous bug report ever, but it has caused my frustration to no end ;)
« Last Edit: 2019-10-25, 04:36:12 by edub »

2019-11-02, 01:40:14
Reply #1

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
no one feels like acknowledging this important workflow bug?

Also still exists in v5 daily build for R21 ;)

2019-11-02, 09:39:26
Reply #2

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. I'm struggling with this to, on a daily basis. So sure would like to see a fix :)

2019-11-02, 10:52:11
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
AFAIK, this is default behaviour in 3ds Max. It could be that Corona simply adopted it in sake of consistency. I personally get used to it and like it, so i wouldn't want that to change, especially if it would make inconsistency with 3ds Max. I think if C4D has different behaviour, then Corona for C4D should adopt its defaults and Corona for 3ds Max should stay as it is.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-02, 13:18:38
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I don't think the problems with entering values in VFB is default behavior in Max - and I've haven't so far been able to see any consistency in the VFB behavior neither. One time you need to enter the values in one certain way, but next time you need to do it another way. It's kind of wacky..

So at least I would like it to behave consistent.

2019-11-02, 14:33:07
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Frankly, i don't know how VFB behaves when entering values manually, because i almost always just drag spinners - that's way faster for me, but if you say it's inconsistant, then of course, it's very bad. I was more refering to OP's statement that this is bug, when it's clearly not, at least not in 3ds Max.

2019-11-03, 01:28:20
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to clearif: I'm a Max user. I haven't tried to follow OP's description step by step, but I recognize the frustration when entering values manually, and I do think it's a bug, by the way it constantly changes behavior.

2019-11-03, 10:47:46
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@PROH, in that case, you should report it to Autodesk first, because that's a consistent behaviour in all 3ds Max numerical fields. And no, i don't think that's a bug. Some may like it, some may not, it's a matter of personal preferences. Personally i think that Corona should adopt its host application behaviour.

[..] by the way it constantly changes behavior.

That's clearly shouldn't happen, so please create separate bug report for that and specify how often does it change its behaviour. Does it happen in the same session, between sessions, or between different builds?

2019-11-03, 10:56:48
Reply #8

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-11-03, 11:21:19
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

2019-11-05, 22:43:23
Reply #10

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Frankly, i don't know how VFB behaves when entering values manually, because i almost always just drag spinners - that's way faster for me, but if you say it's inconsistant, then of course, it's very bad. I was more refering to OP's statement that this is bug, when it's clearly not, at least not in 3ds Max.

ok - I've verified that this behavior is consistent with the behavior in corona for 3d max, which would then make me agree, that it is not a bug - just really bad interface design [rolleyes]
« Last Edit: 2019-11-07, 21:29:38 by edub »