Author Topic: Tipps needed for backlit translucent material  (Read 3849 times)

2018-08-31, 12:02:07

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm trying to create a texture that comes as close as possible to the original.
It is a texture that is backlit by LEDs. Since it would be too much work to set up and control the LEDs individually for each system, I try to find an alternative. It would be important that the edges about 1 cm are slightly darker than the rest. I have already made several attempts, but it is not as good as it should be.

Maybe someone can help me with some suggestions. Here are some pictures of the system. thanks, people

Yellow Screenshot is made by corona light material with texture
« Last Edit: 2019-01-21, 11:41:59 by tuami »

2018-08-31, 14:03:32
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, can I ask what your previous methods involved? For this one I made 2 selection tags, the back has a light mat applied to it and the front has the image with transparency activated.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2018-08-31, 14:07:33
Reply #2

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi konorg,

I have found 2 ways to simulate this:

1. Physcorrect
   You need to put a plane as translucent material with your texture and add this shader to corona rayswitch material (it is better for complex scenes). Then, simply put the light source behind of your translucent plane with smaller area (like in real life), or, when you need to see the seperete shadows around each Led - try to make a plane, divide it to small pieces (led crystals) and apply corona light to it.

2. Tricky
Apply the corona light material to your plane with corona AO mask. This will give you control of darkening the edges.

If you need more explanations with images and results - feel free to write me
P.S. Cheers from Witten ;)

2018-09-03, 08:52:10
Reply #3

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello first I thank you for your help. Looks pretty good as I think. Translucentity is 10%, behind I have placed a light source that is slightly smaller than the graphic material.

I still have some questions.
How can this be done in the same way with Corona AO Mask (We have many objects and it would be good if we could fake the effect) The material must shine in any case and the darker edges should be individually adjustable.

I've added a second screenshot, in which shows that the translucent material in the viewport is black, how can i handle this?

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: 2019-01-21, 11:42:08 by tuami »

2018-09-03, 11:24:22
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
If you want to check out my file you can. I didn't use AO for the edges, just a gradient.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2018-09-03, 13:40:40
Reply #5

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you want to check out my file you can. I didn't use AO for the edges, just a gradient.

Thank youbeanzvision for your helpfulness.
The problem is that with non-square areas, the shadow is not symmetric.
hm .. how would the AO solution look like?

2018-09-03, 14:01:09
Reply #6

Beanzvision

• Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats

Here's an AO version. To control how dark you want the edges, use the colour spread %. The higher the % the darker the edge. To control how far in you want it to spread, use the max distance. Thanks,
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2018-09-05, 11:37:58
Reply #7

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Here's an AO version. To control how dark you want the edges, use the colour spread %. The higher the % the darker the edge. To control how far in you want it to spread, use the max distance. Thanks,

Thank you i will try this out