Author Topic: Max crash after saving modified texture in PS  (Read 17937 times)

2015-03-19, 20:21:28

iMotion

• Active Users
  • Deep House all night long ...
    • View Profile
    • Design & Viz
Hello. Seems new corona version cause this crash, because with A7 and earlier versions It did not happened.
Situation is as follows: I create new material, insert a texture map in all slots i need. Next, when I need to modify the texture in photoshop (in diffuse slot, as example), after saving I have crash of max.

3ds max 2014 x64 SP5
Corona 1.00.02

Please, give some advice
Thanks
ASUS ROG G75VX. i7 3630QM 3.4GHz | 8 Gb RAM | nVidia GTX670MX 4Gb | Corsair SSD 120Gb

2015-03-20, 09:33:52
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You mean that it crashes when you modify a texture that just is used in scene or when you are rendering?
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516180
"Modifying bitmaps on HDD while rendering can cause crashes"
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-03-20, 09:43:58
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Occasionally it crashes max even if not rendering. Because of that i'm trying to build a habit to save scene each time i want to modify my textures externally.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-03-20, 10:06:33
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe it's because the texture is rendered in the material editor? I will move this topic to bugs but Ondra will have to verify it.

2015-03-20, 10:36:10
Reply #4

xt13r

• Active Users
  • Viva la Corona!
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
this happens for me too, but not every time. I can't ctch it exactly when it happens and why.
Sometimes editing texture in protoshop and everything is fine, and sometmes after saving rexture and switching to 3dsmax - it crashes immediately.

2015-03-20, 15:29:32
Reply #5

iMotion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Design & Viz
this happens for me too, but not every time. I can't ctch it exactly when it happens and why.
Sometimes editing texture in protoshop and everything is fine, and sometmes after saving rexture and switching to 3dsmax - it crashes immediately.

The same problem. Main reason why I start this topic. But for me, it crashed almost everytime I save edited texture in PS. Not during render, but only when texture already loaded into slot. I did not check if it cause only when showing texture in viewport or not, need to check it manualy. Im sure that it was not in previous version of corona
ASUS ROG G75VX. i7 3630QM 3.4GHz | 8 Gb RAM | nVidia GTX670MX 4Gb | Corsair SSD 120Gb

2015-03-20, 19:05:31
Reply #6

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Same problem here, especially with big textures (8K)
Maybe it's Nitrous problem. I have no time, not, to check what's the problem.
Try to change Driver, with different resolutions on driver settings, both in DX and Nitrous.
With Nitrous, you need a script:

http://www.scriptspot.com/search/apachesolr_search/Nitrous%20tweaker

2015-03-21, 14:23:54
Reply #7

Dollmaker

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Happens to me every now and then.. when i modify texture in ps.. and in max scene crashes..

2015-03-23, 15:36:39
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I am not able to reproduce this at the moment... so minidump, maybe? ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-23, 16:29:15
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Tried to crash max without rendering, but didn't manage to achieve that, so i launched interactive rendering and after couple minutes max crashes.

2015-03-23, 16:36:21
Reply #10

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Happens to me every now and then.. when i modify texture in ps.. and in max scene crashes..

Same here, sometimes it'll crash, sometimes max doesn't care. Didn't crash in versions prior to 1.0, however...

2015-03-23, 16:48:35
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Tried to crash max without rendering, but didn't manage to achieve that, so i launched interactive rendering and after couple minutes max crashes.

Can you describe what you were doing when it crashed? Was it when saving a bitmap used in interactive rendering that was running at the time?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-23, 17:04:52
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I cannot recall it 100%. I know that after i launch IR i was able successfuly save texture from photoshop couple times and then max suddenly crash. I'm not sure whether photoshop was saving or not at the moment. I'll try to conduct another attempt.

2015-03-23, 17:05:53
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
But DR was running, right? Max was not idle?

2015-03-23, 17:09:23
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you mean Interactive Rendering, then answer is yes, it was running. I tried to make max crash when max was idling, but it just didn't happen.

2015-03-23, 17:23:25
Reply #15

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, sorry, IR ;)

Ok, I will take a look, and I will also try to get debug symbols from autodesk so I can look at the minidump you sent me

2015-03-23, 20:01:45
Reply #16

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had this with no IR running but the material editor was open so this might be another place to look.

2015-04-01, 22:06:28
Reply #17

iMotion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Design & Viz
Guys. I just checked the next: Max crashes when saving bitmap in PS - that thing we all already know. But I thought it only crashes when bitmap is uploaded to slot (Diffuse etc.). I tried to clear slot, to make no connection between PS & 3dsmax. Well, even without texture in slot max crashes anyway immediately after saving in photoshop. Thats the way it is ... ((
Ondra?

2015-04-01, 23:20:02
Reply #18

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I was working with some textures which were used in opened max scene in photoshop and successfuly saved them several times. Got a crash when renamed one of textures in windows explorer. All that time max wasn't rendering and slate material editor was opened.

Minidumps: 1427922891_Bitmap_rename_crash.7z

2015-04-20, 19:12:56
Reply #19

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
One more instance of similar crash. This time i deleted hdr file in explorer and max immediatelly crashed. Texmap containing that file was assigned to one of enviromental overrides, which was turned off at the moment. Max wasn't rendering. SME windew was opened, but this particular texmap wasn't in any window.

2015-05-05, 07:07:53
Reply #20

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
it happen to me a couple times, It can't be reproduced constantly. modify or delete a picture that is assigned to some material texmap, which turned off at the moment.
and this: open the scene > start IR or render > stop IR or render > modifiy some image outside the max > crash immediately. modify a bitmap without close the max is a need for me, I think it is a bit annoying isn't it? :)

2015-05-06, 11:18:24
Reply #21

Luke_Wilkins_3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I get this problem too, it's getting ridiculous now. What is this? A render engine or what. People need to update their textures without silly problems like.... LOSING YOUR WHOLE DAMN PROGRESS.

It happened to me NOT in interactive mode, just plain old ordinary mode. I have a corona sun + sky set up, everything set up. I am using Substance Painter to export TARGA textures that update when I hit export. So they update and then I need a nice smooth update of that texture in my 3ds max viewport.

Sort it out. Paid for this crap.

2015-05-06, 12:22:03
Reply #22

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For now, you should be able to prevent crashes by rendering with "Lock 3ds max during rendering" on in system settings. I will see if I can sort this out somehow.

2015-05-06, 12:24:54
Reply #23

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No need for this angry attitude. It is registered as a bug and surely will be fixed eventually. You have to understand that small dev team cannot fix all issues at once. Give them some time and give some respect too.

For now, you should be able to prevent crashes by rendering with "Lock 3ds max during rendering" on in system settings. I will see if I can sort this out somehow.

For me it's mostly happening when not rendering. Not sure if lock 3ds max will help, but i will give it a try.

2015-05-06, 12:39:52
Reply #24

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
The same thing happened with me a couple of times yesterday. To be more precise, with me the problem happens when I select the node to reload the texture. Today it seems fine :\ When it happens, there is anything I can do to provide more info??

2015-05-07, 12:53:56
Reply #25

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
You have to understand that small dev team cannot fix all issues at once. Give them some time and give some respect too.
big agree.

2015-05-11, 10:14:48
Reply #26

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For me it's mostly happening when not rendering. Not sure if lock 3ds max will help, but i will give it a try.

Just tried it and it's not helping. Max still crashes as soon as texture is saved in ps.

2015-05-11, 11:07:16
Reply #27

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
do I have minidump of this problem? If not, please share one ;)

2015-05-11, 11:50:17
Reply #28

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmmm, there are multiple minidumps in this topic already (posts 9, 18, 19). Or do you want minidump for specific event?

2015-05-11, 19:16:56
Reply #29

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I was unable to read those. It would be best to get minidump from some non-design version with latest servicepack installed

2015-05-12, 12:31:24
Reply #30

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm affraid i can't help you there - mine is design version.

2015-05-12, 13:01:38
Reply #31

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I wasn't able to make it crash when using hdr in enviro/overrides and deleting the file or when modifying object's texture in PS, but it finally crashed when I turned on IR and modified the texture. Here is the minidump from regular max 2015. 

2015-05-20, 22:56:59
Reply #32

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
Just to add my 2 cents worth.. 3ds max design though.. No rendering, working on texture in Photoshop, go back to 3d and it crashes. Not every time but more often than not. Watched it once and the object went black before updating new texture and then crashed. Is it not possible to switch auto update off and do it manually until this gets fixed.. As I have to close my work..or remove textures until I have worked on them and then go through the motions of finding the files and reloading them.. Taking precious time away from actual working as reworking textures is a continual process.

Cheers!

2015-06-30, 17:07:33
Reply #33

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hi,

i am unable to reproduce it even with IR running. I modified texture and saved several times, but no crash. Was the texture any specific not often used file format perhaps?

2015-06-30, 20:21:57
Reply #34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'd guess it's more max version than texture format specific. With 3ds max 2014 sp5 i can make it crash almost instantly no matter what texture format i modify in ps. But that's not critical anymore, since we have CoronaBitmap.

2015-11-06, 16:18:56
Reply #35

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
moving - reason: old
solution is to use cbitmap
revive if needed

2016-08-19, 17:46:48
Reply #36

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
fixed... hopefully... finally

2016-08-19, 17:59:57
Reply #37

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be