Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Noise in Masks and Coloured Noise

(1/2) > >>

Robert_D:
Hello all!

Might be a silly question, but recently, when sending projects to backburner onto different machines, we seem to be getting colour noise on our renders, and on the masks and passes as well. It never clears up with time, just always there.
We notice this on network rendering only, after tests its NOT happening on local PC's.

We can log into our render nodes and view the frame buffer, and all the masks seem clear. Its when they save that they somehow get colour noise all over each file.

Just wanted to see if it was something we are doing wrong, as this never has happened before.

Thanks!

maru:
Please provide us with some basic information:
- Which exact version of Corona are you using?
- Which version of 3ds Max
- Which version of Backburner
- Are you using Backburner only, or a combination of Backburner + Corona's DR, or maybe some other apps are involved

Would it be also possible for you to send us this scene, or a simplified scene where the issue can be reproduced?

Thank you in advance.

Robert_D:
Sure:

- Which exact version of Corona are you using? -
Corona version: 7 (DailyBuild Jan  8 2021)
Full-speed, Non-debug, MaxSDK 2020
Build timestamp: Jan  8 2021 14:45:09

- Which version of 3ds Max - 3ds max 2020.3.2
- Which version of Backburner -2019
- Are you using Backburner only, or a combination of Backburner + Corona's DR, or maybe some other apps are involved - Only backburner, and not distributed rendering, However it happens with distributed rendering too.

Scene has been uploaded for you to dropbox, called Coloured_Noise_Backburner_01.zip. I did another quick test. Below I have attached a render from the same scene nothing changed but sent to backburner. and on local pc (image is from the wireframe pass to show the noise better)

Everything looks fine in the frame buffer as well, its just when it saves it applied this coloured noise to each file only when on backburner.

Thanks!

TomG:
I didn't have any problem. Things I noted:

- Save was not checked on loading the scene, so I checked it, and I saved it to a local directory (all my machines have this directory set up independently on them so that I don't save over a network)
- There were quite a few missing textures, so I just ran the test without them
- Some normal maps appear to be using incorrect gamma, according to the Corona error message. I left those unchanged.
- A region is enabled in Max (a Max region, not a Corona region). I am not sure if regions work well over Backburner or other network rendering, so I disabled that and rendered the whole view.
- I dropped passes to 3 since it is a large render and takes a long time to render, and a long time to denoise all the elements
- The render is quite a large resolution. Memory peaked at 25GB here during denoising. How much RAM is installed on your servers?
- Resulting "CGI_05_Bathroom_Test_Back_NDE2_CMasking_WireColor.tga" did not have the noise you show (noise in the edges due to low number of passes so AA not cleaning up, but that's not what shows up in your image)
- It also looked fine in the VFB on the Server as it was rendering
- Just to be sure (it is easy to get this wrong, I know because I have done it!), you are absolutely 100% sure (and have reinstalled Corona to be sure) that it's the same version of Corona and same version of Max installed on Manager and Server?
- I am rendering using the latest daily of Corona 7 (May 10th), in Max 2021
- Since this is not an animation, I only had one Server running (one that was not the submitting Manager machine), and only that one remote machine does the rendering since no DR is in use

Robert_D:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for testing it for me.

If its working for you and for my local PC then it must be the nodes we have.

Upon checking it seems like the nodes are defaulting to save as 16bit compressed. Even though I save from my local PC as a 32 bit file, when I send to backburner its using whatever was last saved on the node in the nodes version of 3ds max. Which was for some reason a 16 bit tga.

I open max, and then saved out a 32bit tga and then closed max. Then when sending our scene to backburner again it saved with no noise in the passes and beauty pass etc.

Thanks again for helping out! I appreciate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version