Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519797 times)

2021-01-13, 07:57:22
Reply #1245

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-01-13, 07:59:52
Reply #1246

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey, guys I know it is not Gen 3 related but do you think it is a good idea to upgrade one of my old workstations ( 1920x with X399 Strix-e gaming mobo )by just swapping the CPU with the 2990wx?
Sadly used on eBay is not an option since it's a big hassle to get it shipped so I have an option to buy it directly in the shop for around 1600 euros. Do you think it is worth it and do you think that the U14S can handle it on stock I was thinking to just use it as a render node in the farm.

I remember reading on the forum a while back that some people had issues with ram compatibility and generally with performance with the 2990wx.

Absolutely not, not for such price.

Ryzen 5950X trashes it all around completely. The 2990WX is sadly worth less than 700-750 Euros thus, at best and even that, for the platform (8 memory slots).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2021-01-13, 12:48:41
Reply #1247

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Absolutely not, not for such price.

Ryzen 5950X trashes it all around completely. The 2990WX is sadly worth less than 700-750 Euros thus, at best and even that, for the platform (8 memory slots).

This. Not to mention the 2990wx will most likely melt his motherboards VRM's/suffer from extreme throttling.

That pro board looks very interesting btw Juraj, I wonder if there will be a new socket for the 5000 series Threadrippers, or whether existing TRX40 motherboards will be compatible - although I do find the silence on any new Threadrippers from AMD weird.
Vray who?

2021-01-13, 14:49:46
Reply #1248

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys as always great help! Also thanks @Juraj! That also went through my mind at some point since I managed to find a refurbished 2970wx for 800 euros but it is just better to sell the combo  (mobo+cpu+cooler) and go for 5950x or even maybe a 3950x since it's like 600 euro new here or around 330-350 euro cheaper then the 5950x.

2021-01-13, 17:02:08
Reply #1249

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio

1 - The general advice seems to be Noctua NH-U14S, but how many other case fans to people generally fit?
2 - 64GB of memory @ 3200Mhz - does it make any difference between 2x32 or 4x16 (with 8 slots, still have spare for the future)... I also have no idea on CL... 16? 18? Do timings make much difference for rendering?

Just to update on this one - after some further reading, I went for 4x16 3200 CL16.

The CPU and motherboard came to just over £1000 which seems like an absolute bargain for a 3970x (plus around £500 for other bits).
All now built, and seems to be doing the job nicely so far. Not 100% sure on good CPU temps, but have space in the case for an extra fan or two if needed!

2021-01-13, 21:38:50
Reply #1250

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Juraj

Got my Ice Giant yesterday. I didn't have time to run a lot of comparison tests but did ran a couple before switching.

These results are with the 3990x

First I configured the fans at a constant speed to what I considered acceptable, not completely silent but something I can live with, I ran all other tests trying to match DB to that initial configuration.

Noctua with 2 fans: 68 degrees after 10 minute render.
Noctua with 1 fan: 69 degrees after 10 minute render.
Ice Giant with 4 fans ( At same DB levels as the other tests above) 59 degrees after 10 minute render.

In my previous configuration, running PBO profile, the processor reached 92-95 degrees which is the thermal throtlling limit.
Using the Ice Giant, I get stable 85 degrees using PBO profile.

Of course there are many variables and I didn't spend enough time controlling for other factors and repeating results for this to be reliable. But at least it looks like it does work better than the noctua for my case/airflow etc.

One HUGE advantage is that removing the top graphics card was a pain in the ass with the Noctua, in the Zenith Extreme II, the unlock latch was almost impossible to reach and I have to use a plastic ruler to unlock it.

With the Ice Giant, you have full access to the latch with your hand :)

But now my RAM is under the cooler... hehe, but somehow I switch my Graphics card more often than my RAM.

Anyway, I hope someone does proper testing to get a definitive answer, but I think I will leave the Ice Giant for now and see how it behaves long term.

2021-01-14, 11:09:48
Reply #1251

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Great test! Many thanks for posting this. But where are the photos :- D ?

Which fans did you mount? Not sure if many here know, but Thermaltake made black copy of the best Noctua fan there is, Sterrox A12x25. And they did it in both 120 and 140mm version.

Your results are much better than Kitguru's, the first temps are stock? Interestingly it also proves quite well how useless is second fan on U14S.

2021-01-16, 22:22:35
Reply #1252

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The Asus's WRX80 motherboard page is up: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/

And also bunch of media outlets disguised as reviews of Lenovo's P620 system (Like LinusTechTips and Tom's Hardware, I guess more will be up later, all courtesy of Lenovo). I made TL:DR for you guys:

- Absolutely the same performance in 8-channel for most part, even in Corona.
- Retail boards (like Asus) not available yet until March, and the Lenovo OEM board is fully locked in terms of any OC feature for CPU and memory.
- The Asus board has 16 power stages though... which leads me to guess it might allow OC for CPU and perhaps even memory (XMP included). BIG IF though. We'll see in March.

- And lastly... I guess this means no 5000 Zen3 Threadrippers this year? Or at least in following 3 quarters. Looks like it so far.

2021-01-18, 11:39:39
Reply #1253

Serj Fedin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MH 4x32
F4-3600C18D-64GTZN  it's ok for Asus extreme alpha and 3990?
MAT is a young creative team of professionals
Behance:     MAT Architects
Instagram:   MAT Architects

2021-01-18, 11:48:19
Reply #1254

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Absolutely.

2021-01-18, 12:42:23
Reply #1255

Serj Fedin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, Juraj
« Last Edit: 2021-01-18, 12:48:52 by Serj Fedin »
MAT is a young creative team of professionals
Behance:     MAT Architects
Instagram:   MAT Architects

2021-01-18, 18:33:08
Reply #1256

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Kind of disappointed, was really hoping they would have released or announced 128 core Threadrippers.

2021-01-18, 21:55:27
Reply #1257

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh c'mon, someone is still runing 4 core cpu here.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-01-19, 12:33:14
Reply #1258

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't even think 128 cores are in for Epyc Milan :- ). There just isn't any space on the chip with current node and architecture design. They either have to jump node to 5nm or features some 3D stacking.
There would be fantastic IPC gains of course, and slight frequency perhaps.

(Speculation time!) I believe two things happened at same time:

1) The Lenovo deal was failure so far. I think we can clearly deduce this from fact there are almost 50perc. discounts on the website... taking the usually over-priced corporate builds from 20k + into absurd 10k price.
So now we have plenty of 3rd gen Threadrippers in "pro" variants that need to go somewhere. If 4th gen (5xxx) TR chips arrived now, these chips would be dead weight. Corporations don't buy obsolete hardware even if it's single generation past.

2) With TSMC foundries being overcrowded to hell, there is little reason to cannibalize the little amount of Epyc (Milan) chips that is possible to manufacture to select clients by dilluting it with DIY Threadrippers and OEM integrators.

Perhaps if things go well, 5xxx Threadrippers might be still announced this year, but perhaps in Summer and later. Why even have Halo product when you are winning so much.

Oh c'mon, someone is still runing 4 core cpu here.

Sometimes around year ago, when I bought my 3990X I finally reached a point (together with our render farm) when rendering power is no longer limiting me...not even tiny bit (well we don't do animations though...) and I realized further how slow I am.
I am now rendering even previews in 8k... (and downscaling before showing of course, but I can set-up my post-production layouts in final mask dimensions, feature very clean AA, catch mistakes earlier and have at least some semblance of reason to procrastrinate)

2021-01-20, 00:52:10
Reply #1259

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Johannes just posted some interesting Vray specs on facebookwith threadripper 3990 vs triple rtx 3090s and the rtx 3090s were over 3 times faster with Vray 5 GPU on the same image.

Some V-Ray 5 GPU render time comparison:

3x RTX 3090 in RTX mode:

2:04

3x RTX 3090 in CUDA mode:

2:17

3x RTX 3090 + Threadripper 3990x (128thread):

2:25

Threadripper 3990x in V-Ray 5 GPU:

7:37