Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520689 times)

2020-12-16, 16:14:49
Reply #1230

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What? D15 doesn't even fit Threadripper, the only available cooler is U14s TR4. Since this wasn't really Threadripper related I will clean the thread in upcoming weeks.
It's becoming free technical support.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-17, 09:16:57
Reply #1231

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What? D15 doesn't even fit Threadripper, the only available cooler is U14s TR4. Since this wasn't really Threadripper related I will clean the thread in upcoming weeks.

I am sure you will enjoy cleaning my superstitious solutions :D

2020-12-17, 10:38:04
Reply #1232

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I will make it sticky post then :-)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-12-17, 11:44:09
Reply #1233

skiny75

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Sorry Juraj, 
I have the U14s TR4 (1 fan) , but I have seen that many user of 3990x have also the Noctua NF-A15 PWM (singular fan) optional to add. 

2020-12-17, 15:26:16
Reply #1234

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It makes at best 1-2C difference at normal RPM (<1500). U14S doesn't exactly need more static pressure because it's thin&spare heatsink (compared to wide & dense heatsinks like U12A or NH-D15).
Additional fans only increase pressure, they don't increase volume of air. You probably already have exhaust fan at back of the case that is few cm distance from U14S, there is no need to have 3 fans in row.

Yes some people mount even high-pressure industrial fans to NH-U14s but it's really bad idea... those kind of fans belong to super-dense heatsinks like Ice Giant ProSiphon or water-cooling radiators.

I run my 3990X with U14S and single-fan at only 800 RPM to make it silent. But 3960X/3970X do benefit from faster speeds.

Threadrippers, or Ryzen CPUs, also don't suffer from lack of heatsink dissipation, but from thermal transfer between the chip and the cooler. Even million fans will not help with temperature much because the chip is hot under the heatsink, the heatsink is ok (just try to touch it, it's not super hot at all).

The only way to lower temperature is to lower the room ambient temperature. It's good idea to work in <22C in general anyway. Or reduce voltage through power thermal limit.

Overheating Threadripper simply downclocks to lower frequency, it doesn't cause any crashes. Over-heating memory... can cause crashes. Those are hard to cool but they actually easily run 70+C on Threadripper boards with XMP profiles in 1.35+ Volts. Good room ambient and strong case airflow are important then.

2020-12-18, 08:59:50
Reply #1235

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This looks promising, what does it mean? Will we get after-market WRX80 motherboard after all that Lenovo exclusivity crap? I am absolutely in!

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-wrx80-su8-motherboard-for-ryzen-threadripper-pro-pictured

2020-12-21, 10:42:20
Reply #1236

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Little help please

I have Corsair h115i cooler thats going around 70-85c.  Would NH-U14S with 2 NF-A15 fans be able to do better job at cooling my 3960x ?

I see that you guys fancy Noctua and I am not satisfied with my AIO cooler

2020-12-21, 11:21:58
Reply #1237

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Little help please

I have Corsair h115i cooler thats going around 70-85c.  Would NH-U14S with 2 NF-A15 fans be able to do better job at cooling my 3960x ? I see there is no need for second fan.

I see that you guys fancy Noctua and I am not satisfied with my AIO cooler

2020-12-22, 19:02:23
Reply #1238

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, I thinking of building my 3990X workstation in January. I came up with this configuration:
MBU:        Asus ROG Strix TRX40-XE Gaming - don't know if Zenith II Extreme is worth extra money? Maybe something different than Asus in similar price point?
CPU:         AMD Threadripper 3990X
Cooling:    Noctua NH-U14S
PSU:         Corsair HX1000 - or AX1000, again I don't know if it's worth that few extra bucks?
RAM:   4x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - no need for 128gb now, but I leave slots for it.
Case:   Fractal Design Define XL R2 - or Define 7 XL, are there any major differences between the new model?
SSD:    Samsung 1TB M.2 970 EVO

No GPU as I'll use 1080Ti I have right now.
What do you think of that?
« Last Edit: 2020-12-22, 20:50:10 by Majeranek »
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile

2020-12-23, 14:07:12
Reply #1239

zollska

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- For the RAM I would go with 2x32GB stick just to be future proof but i'm not sure about what are the advantages of dual channel mode regarding our work.

- The Fractal Desing Define 7 XL is a way newer case,  and in my opinion is a bit better if you want to have a closed top side and few more included fans and generaly a bit easier to service and configure to your needs when building something a bit more special. It also has usb C on the front panel. I think nowdays the 4 quarter inch bays of the xl r2 are not that usefull in a build like this, and I also prefer that the intake filters are not mounted to the fans. All in all I really like that the D 7 XL is really "modular" and you can put a ton of fans in it. I think i will use it for a really long time.

-  but i have to keep in mind it cost 25% more, but i think its worth it.
3DS Max & Cinema 4D

2020-12-23, 15:16:41
Reply #1240

skiny75

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It makes at best 1-2C difference at normal RPM (<1500). U14S doesn't exactly need more static pressure because it's thin&spare heatsink (compared to wide & dense heatsinks like U12A or NH-D15).
Additional fans only increase pressure, they don't increase volume of air. You probably already have exhaust fan at back of the case that is few cm distance from U14S, there is no need to have 3 fans in row.

Yes some people mount even high-pressure industrial fans to NH-U14s but it's really bad idea... those kind of fans belong to super-dense heatsinks like Ice Giant ProSiphon or water-cooling radiators.

I run my 3990X with U14S and single-fan at only 800 RPM to make it silent. But 3960X/3970X do benefit from faster speeds.

Threadrippers, or Ryzen CPUs, also don't suffer from lack of heatsink dissipation, but from thermal transfer between the chip and the cooler. Even million fans will not help with temperature much because the chip is hot under the heatsink, the heatsink is ok (just try to touch it, it's not super hot at all).

The only way to lower temperature is to lower the room ambient temperature. It's good idea to work in <22C in general anyway. Or reduce voltage through power thermal limit.

Overheating Threadripper simply downclocks to lower frequency, it doesn't cause any crashes. Over-heating memory... can cause crashes. Those are hard to cool but they actually easily run 70+C on Threadripper boards with XMP profiles in 1.35+ Volts. Good room ambient and strong case airflow are important then.

Thank you for the explanation. 
They discover that the problem was in the CPU , the 3990x, now they will change it.  I was unlucky, after 1 month that i bought, I started to have problems. 

2020-12-28, 23:02:47
Reply #1241

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- For the RAM I would go with 2x32GB stick just to be future proof but i'm not sure about what are the advantages of dual channel mode regarding our work.

- The Fractal Desing Define 7 XL is a way newer case,  and in my opinion is a bit better if you want to have a closed top side and few more included fans and generaly a bit easier to service and configure to your needs when building something a bit more special. It also has usb C on the front panel. I think nowdays the 4 quarter inch bays of the xl r2 are not that usefull in a build like this, and I also prefer that the intake filters are not mounted to the fans. All in all I really like that the D 7 XL is really "modular" and you can put a ton of fans in it. I think i will use it for a really long time.

-  but i have to keep in mind it cost 25% more, but i think its worth it.

Thanks for those advices.
I'll go for 32GB sticks as there's no difference in a price

Define 7 XL sounds better then :). Wondering on one thing though. Wouldn't it be better to take normal Define 7 when I'm considering ATX motherboard? Or will it be too small for 3990x, 1080Ti and several HDDs? The price isn't the problem here. Just wondering if the smaller one wouldn't be better looking.

Any advices regarding MBU & PSU?
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile

2020-12-29, 11:19:17
Reply #1242

zollska

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you don't need the extra space for dual or triple gpu-s, storage or any pcie expansion cards i think you can and probably should go with the Define 7. If space and size is a consideration it works better. The Defina 7 xl is deffinetly a "big boy" case.  Its huge for an atx case to be honest :) So yeah, the Define 7 is  great silence focused case for a cpu focused atx build :)
3DS Max & Cinema 4D

2020-12-29, 12:14:56
Reply #1243

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Hiya - apologies in advance for silly questions...

I've picked up some decent components for relatively low prices (an AMD 3970X + MSI TRX40), but wanted any thoughts on:-

1 - The general advice seems to be Noctua NH-U14S, but how many other case fans to people generally fit?

2 - 64GB of memory @ 3200Mhz - does it make any difference between 2x32 or 4x16 (with 8 slots, still have spare for the future)... I also have no idea on CL... 16? 18? Do timings make much difference for rendering?

I think I've got spare other bits (case, GPU, SSD) - it will just be a render node for now, so basically a headless CPU.

2021-01-12, 17:40:07
Reply #1244

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, guys I know it is not Gen 3 related but do you think it is a good idea to upgrade one of my old workstations ( 1920x with X399 Strix-e gaming mobo )by just swapping the CPU with the 2990wx?
Sadly used on eBay is not an option since it's a big hassle to get it shipped so I have an option to buy it directly in the shop for around 1600 euros. Do you think it is worth it and do you think that the U14S can handle it on stock I was thinking to just use it as a render node in the farm.

I remember reading on the forum a while back that some people had issues with ram compatibility and generally with performance with the 2990wx.