Author Topic: Strange Displacement Artefacts  (Read 1984 times)

2019-03-26, 00:52:16

iamrossmason

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a project which is involving displacement and I want to get a macro shot to capture the detail of the embossing. However, I'm getting some strange artefacts on the displacement and I can't figure out why - I'll attach an image to show.

If anyone has any idea on why this is happening and can help me out that would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ross

2019-03-26, 12:54:12
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you using denoising? Denoising was changed so it was less strong on bump maps (and Autobump introduced automatic bump maps where displacement was used), so it could be that the displaced areas are not being denoised as strongly as the rest of the images.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-03-26, 14:50:13
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
This looks more like shading artifacts rather than problems with denoising. Maybe it's worth to open a support ticket and provide the scene for investigation?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-03-26, 18:09:23
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My guess would be either shading issue (can occur with strong light) or lack of detail (using 8bpc height map, that usually is the case.)

2019-03-26, 18:13:14
Reply #4

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
If I had to bet, I'd agree with TomG that this is caused by combination of Auto-bump + denoising

2019-03-28, 08:44:14
Reply #5

iamrossmason

• Users
    • View Profile
Are you using denoising? Denoising was changed so it was less strong on bump maps (and Autobump introduced automatic bump maps where displacement was used), so it could be that the displaced areas are not being denoised as strongly as the rest of the images.

Yeah I've got denoising set to high so I really am condfused by this.

2019-03-28, 08:45:33
Reply #6

iamrossmason

• Users
    • View Profile
My guess would be either shading issue (can occur with strong light) or lack of detail (using 8bpc height map, that usually is the case.)

I wonder if it's worth updating the high map to 16bpc? It's worth a shot! Thank you.