Author Topic: A warning to all CG newbies.  (Read 25520 times)

2014-09-11, 18:28:06
Reply #30

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Funny, of all the forums I visit in regards to 3D / MAX / rendering, this one has been the most helpful, and I've been using many forums for years and years. As per blogs, Peter Guthrie, Bertrand, Jeff Patton and Ramy Hanna have always been courteous and helpful; whether to people in general or anytime I've asked them a direct question.

I don't expect to get answers right away, or really ever at all when I consult the big guys. I expect slow answers on forums just because the majority of 3D forums don't have much activity nowadays aside from a couple. Do I consider it rude in any way? Hell no. I understand that people can't take the time to help everyone, so then I press on and read and try to find answers for myself.

I think a part of no responsiveness comes from the fact that as Cg artists, we don't want some of our little secrets getting out. After all, if everyone knew the same stuff and used the same methods a lot of work would look similar I feel. Withholding info can be a good thing. When it comes to general questions, than whoever can help can. Should they? No, no one is obligated, but when they do its nice. I don't think foul of anyone for not providing help, but that's just me.

2014-09-11, 18:32:10
Reply #31

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
"Hey, I cannot beleive it.... this guy just sent me an email asking what renderer I prefer. Who does this guy think he is....I refuse to respond.... ha ha.... that will show him."

And you are back to assumptions and projections on others, approaching this whole issue in oversimplified manner and very black&white way. Everyone tried to explain that's not what most people think at all. Usually these emails are not single questions like this either, they're full blown essays with many often quite open ended question. Replying to them takes great energy and lot's of time, which is extremely scarce commodity for most people, esp. professionals who are over-head with deadlines, and those few minutes they want to take off, they prefer to do so in forum, or just forfeit completely and spend with family/friends/hobbies.

If someone doesn't reply to you immidietely, to full extent, or not at all, it doesn't really say much about it, except that he probably has valid reasons to do so.

You continue to look at things from a limited personal perspective, instead of trying to understand others. You can't just call yourself emphatic and yet keep narrow outlook on issue.

And I already explained that blogs have nothing to do with your understanding. What about media ? Do you think that just because journalists write articles, they expect to receive 10 000 emails from readers to continue discussion, to all of them obliged to answer ?
Sometimes there is a place for discussion, sometimes there isn't. But the playing field is not automatically private domain and no one is obliged to partake in anything.
You can't just automatically assume that just because someone started any digital venue or outlet (either through blog or forum participation), he is now obliged to share more with you (of his time/knowledge or other commodity). That is completely false equation and I am surprised how would you arrive to this logic ?

You continue to hold on assumption that people owe you part of their privacy and personal time based on common courtesy and easy reachability, which is often thought fallacy of current digital age.

When I begun CGI, it was in my mentality that I wanted to share. It's nothing really altruistic, it's more about my choleric personality, traits of which are just often extrovertial. Since the last 3 years, I almost always answered every question into my workflow and everything and answered hundreds of threads asking help on CGArchitect. But that doesn't mean it's limitless and fills my whole day. There is cap to how fast and to what extent I am even capable of answering everything. Hell, I don't even answer all work offers, I don't have time. I prefer to help other cg artists then to even say "sorry I don't have time for your project". That's how invasive things can be, and how little time most people have.

Last thing: Imagine you wanted to get home to your family. But every stranger on street demanded your attention for 20 minutes otherwise they would consider you rude and ignorant. How would you find it ? When would you get even home ? Internet is the same thing, we're not closer to each other just because it's easier to reach people.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-11, 19:03:16 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-09-11, 19:20:57
Reply #32

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"Hey, I cannot beleive it.... this guy just sent me an email asking what renderer I prefer. Who does this guy think he is....I refuse to respond.... ha ha.... that will show him."

And you are back to assumptions and projections on others. Everyone tried to explain that's not what most people think at all. Usually these emails are not single questions like this either, they're full blown essays with many often quite open ended question. Replying to them takes great energy and lot's of time, which is extremely scarce commodity for most people, esp. professionals who are over-head with deadlines, and those few minutes they want to take off, they prefer to do so in forum, or just forfeit completely and spend with family/friends/hobbies.

If someone doesn't reply to you immidietely, to full extent, or not at all, it doesn't really say much about it, except that he probably has valid reasons to do so.

You continue to look at things from a limited personal perspective, instead of trying to understand others. You can't just call yourself emphatic and yet keep narrow outlook on issue.

And I already explained that blogs have nothing to do with your understanding. What about media ? Do you think that just because journalists write articles, they expect to receive 10 000 emails from readers to continue discussion, to all of them obliged to answer ?
Sometimes there is a place for discussion, sometimes there isn't. But the playing field is not automatically private domain and no one is obliged to partake in anything.
You can't just automatically assume that just because someone started any digital venue or outlet (either through blog or forum participation), he is now obliged to share more with you (of his time/knowledge or other commodity). That is completely false equation and I am surprised how would you arrive to this logic ?

You continue to hold on assumption that people owe you part of their privacy and personal time based on common courtesy and easy reachability, which is often thought fallacy of current digital age.

When I begun CGI, it was in my mentality that I wanted to share. It's nothing really altruistic, it's more about my choleric personality, traits of which are just often extrovertial. Since the last 3 years, I almost always answered every question into my workflow and everything and answered hundreds of threads asking help on CGArchitect. But that doesn't mean it's limitless and fills my whole day. There is cap to how fast and to what extent I am even capable of answering everything. Hell, I don't even answer all work offers, I don't have time. I prefer to help other cg artists then to even say "sorry I don't have time for your project". That's how invasive things can be, and how little time most people have.

Last thing: Imagine you wanted to get home to your family. But every stranger on street demanded your attention for 20 minutes otherwise they would consider you rude and ignorant. How would you find it ? When would you get even home ? Internet is the same thing, we're not closer to each other just because it's easier to reach people.

Actually, Juraj, I was saying that with a sense of humour.... cos it was getting too serious ;)

I find it funny how people can instruct me on what's right and wrong. Like you are the CG Police or something. I can say what I like... just like you can respond to who you like.
Anyway, I like Corona, so I will cross paths with you from time to time.... does not mean we have to lecture one another on etiquette.

So... please... stop painting me in such a bad light. It's not a witch hunt. I said I am sorry. I am going to have a beer now and relax :)
Thanks for not responding to my emails. And thankyou for explaining (at great length) why you and countless other Blogs don't bother to reply. It was contructive :)

2014-09-11, 19:27:40
Reply #33

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I find it funny how people can instruct me on what's right and wrong. Like you are the CG Police or something.

How ironic, talking of "CG Police:

I am thinking of creating my own Blog Watch-Dog... naming and shaming the bad apples

Thanks for not responding to my emails. And thankyou for explaining (at great length) why you and countless other Blogs don't bother to reply. It was contructive :)

With bit more humility it would be no problem for me to reply to your email as well when I get time over weekend. But you just keep on going.. I am done with this "discussion" for now.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-09-11, 20:16:29
Reply #34

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This thread is really bizarre. It should be kept as an example exhibit of Internet discussion. I'm surprised so many users fell for this.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-09-11, 20:35:37
Reply #35

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread is really bizarre. It should be kept as an example exhibit of Internet discussion. I'm surprised so many users fell for this.
I like it :D I just hope that at the end of the day everybody has a beer and relaxes a little..

2014-09-11, 21:15:35
Reply #36

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, the thread is actually ok. It's polarising but so is every discussion. What is there to fell for ? It's not trolling wars ;- ).

2014-09-11, 21:34:46
Reply #37

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like it :D I just hope that at the end of the day everybody has a beer and relaxes a little..

This is what life is about. Passion. When you do or say something with passion... things happen. It's not about talking shop all the time and saying nice things.... that's no good to anyone.
You have to ruffle the feathers abit and speak your mind, even if it goes against what others are saying.
Fight your corner and say what you believe. Ask questions that provoke genuine answers.

Yes, have a beer for me too :)

2014-09-11, 21:43:00
Reply #38

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, the thread is actually ok. It's polarising but so is every discussion. What is there to fell for ? It's not trolling wars ;- ).

When I was a student I bumped into another student at the bar. We both started shoving each other and it turned into a fight. We got separated by the crowd and it ended. For the next three years everytime
I saw the guy I had a scuffle with we smiled and nodded to each other. It was an act of respect. A guy thing. Sometimes arguing can bring people closer together because you come to some form of conclusion. Closure. And for that moment
when it happened you feel alive. I feel happy I posted the thread cos I was able to get how I felt out in the open. And everyone who took part helped me to realise that I had been wrong in my opinion and I had to re-think things through :))

2014-09-11, 21:52:53
Reply #39

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This is what life is about. Passion. When you do or say something with passion... things happen. It's not about talking shop all the time and saying nice things.... that's no good to anyone.
You have to ruffle the feathers abit and speak your mind, even if it goes against what others are saying.
Fight your corner and say what you believe. Ask questions that provoke genuine answers.

Yes, have a beer for me too :)

I had.. :D now it's time to sleep cause deadlines are coming! Good night.