Author Topic: Bump Converter with BerconTile Doesnt Work  (Read 6087 times)

2018-04-10, 17:13:00

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I could have sworn in an earlier build of 1.7 the bump converter was working with BerconTile. I might have been imagining that, but on 1.7 HF 3 it isn't working. Is this just a limitation of the bump converter map?

2018-04-10, 17:17:18
Reply #1

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I crank the settings, and add a map to the bercontile, I can at least see something. But it looks broken.

2018-04-10, 18:09:45
Reply #2

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Yeah same issue here. Bercon works in displacement though, even without bumpconverter.

2018-04-10, 19:37:24
Reply #3

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will Bercontiles ever work in the bump slot for Corona? Or is there some limitation?

2018-04-11, 18:11:39
Reply #4

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I got it to work slightly playing around yesterday.

I took the same bercontile map from the diffuse and removed the maps, left color #1 black and color #2/edge white and unchecked the UV mapping. Upped the bump amount under output to 3. Then plugged that into an output map with Output amount/RGB level/Bump amount at 10. Then plugged that into another bercontile map (same settings as the others) under color #1. Diffuse texture bump multitexture is plugged into color #2 with a grout/mortar bump texture plugged into edge slot.

I can't tell how well it works overall, but if you test it with just a diffuse color and the bump with only the first portion I mentioned above (leave out the diffuse bump in color #2 and grout bump in edge) it seems to bump the edges of the tile/brick slightly. Though it only affects the bottom and side edges, while any setting less than 10 in that output map results in the top and side edges of the tile/brick being bumped. No clue as to why it flips the top/bottom edge.

I looked up the original tutorial by Klaas Nienhuis, but it was little help. One comment in the article mentioned bump not working back in 2013, but I'm not certain it was resolved as the image linked there doesn't load.

http://www.klaasnienhuis.nl/2012/01/bercontile-3-02-overview/

2018-04-12, 02:54:15
Reply #5

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be good to have VrayColor2bump for corona.

2018-04-12, 10:28:34
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

What does VrayColor2Bump differently than CoronaBumpConverter do? I think their funcionality is the same, isn't?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-12, 13:30:36
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Seems to work fine here with bump converter and without it. What am I doing wrong?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-12, 14:11:51
Reply #8

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for checking Maru. It definitely doesn't work on HF3 (unless I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so), which is the scenario I originally produced. On another machine using HF2, everything with Bercontile works as expected with the bump converter.

I'll update the HF 4 when I have a break in production and see if this resolves the problem.

Update: The same file and surface giving me the issue still is giving me trouble applying the bump. I was able to make a teapot and apply bercontile bump same as Maru. The only difference in my scene files are the display units. The setup is the same on both materials otherwise, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-12, 14:19:01 by apjasko »

2018-04-12, 14:21:24
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So it works on a teapot, but not on some other surface? What surface is it?
Can you share a scene where it is working incorrectly?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-12, 14:37:42
Reply #10

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I figured out my issue - changing the map channel from default 1 to 2, bercontile bump no longer works. This applies to both my original scene and the teapot scene I made.

Leaving the mapping for bercontiles alone allows it to work as expected. So the issue was how I was making my material. 

2018-04-12, 15:34:28
Reply #11

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

What does VrayColor2Bump differently than CoronaBumpConverter do? I think their funcionality is the same, isn't?

Sorry. I wasn't aware of this feature in Corona. Thanks.

2018-04-13, 02:14:34
Reply #12

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Still not working for me. Using feet w/fractional inches, have the bercontile set to stretcher with width at 8" and height at 2 1/4". Material applied to a geosphere (same as Dubcat's setup).

Maru, what units are you working in? And what version of berconmaps do you have? Can you share that teapot scene? (I'm on 2014)

**EDIT** It is working actually, it is just super faint (no where near as prnounced as your bump Maru). Might as well be no bump from what I'm seeing on my end.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-13, 02:46:24 by steyin »

2018-04-13, 16:48:32
Reply #13

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed the very faint bump on my side as well. I had to adjust the soften parameter to get a more pronounced bump. Also cranking the bump amount helped without causing any unusual artifacts as shown in my earlier post.

2018-04-13, 18:11:47
Reply #14

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I noticed the very faint bump on my side as well. I had to adjust the soften parameter to get a more pronounced bump. Also cranking the bump amount helped without causing any unusual artifacts as shown in my earlier post.

Yeah, I increased my soften radius and upped the coronabumpconverter value up to 10, though going any higher doesn't produce any more visual difference.

I also tried using distortion with a noise map for rougher edges of the brick, but that isn't doing a damn thing. Going to have to fiddle more with it.

Also annoys me that the last recompile of the maps still lists it as 3.01 in the version number under mapping when it should be 3.04.

The day someone makes a legit working plugin to do procedural bricks (never mind tiles, what we have is fine for that) for a large scale surface/building exterior, they will make it big. If only FloorGenerator worked on 3D lines...