Author Topic: File Size Exploded After Corona Proxy Creation  (Read 1678 times)

2018-02-22, 05:54:30

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So this is a totally bizarre issue that I can't resolve on my own.

I have a geometry dense interior scene and I decided to convert all furniture and other high detail objects to Corona proxy to save on file size. Once I did this to a few objects I knew were contributing to my bloated file size, I saved to see only a ~25mb drop in size (from 1,123,255 KB to 1,097,003 KB). I proceeded through the remaining objects to try and achieve a more dramatic drop. Then my next save was an outrageous 3,213,216 KB.

I then saved all necessary geometry, merged into a new scene and managed to get it down to 2,003,176 KB. I knew notetracks and animation layers can contribute to file size, so I ran "the" cleaner script and removed over a thousand animation layers. This managed to get my file size down to 1,643,785 KB. Still almost a half gig LARGER than my original scene.

After all this I tried compressing on save. This does save some of my file size, getting it down to 517,317 KB. The problem is however it takes what feels 2 or 3 times longer to save. Which isn't worth it to me.

I saved a couple selected objects into their own scenes to see how big just those files were in clean scenes. Even a single pillow was saving at over 60mb's. A Corona proxy selected and saved was close to 70mb's.

Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre instance like this?

2018-02-22, 14:58:02
Reply #1

apjasko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something additional worth mentioning - I have tried using Xref'ed scenes in the past, and most recently on 1.7 hf2, but I get errors when using distributed rendering, a problem I have never been able to resolve. That would be ideal here as i could just break each necessary room out into their independent models, but I could never avoid this issue. It occurs on my network both at work and at home. From what I've gathered the issue is with Corona DR.

Is this a common problem? I never found anything about it on the forum. I should have mentioned it sooner, as it's been happening since 1.5 for me. I have tried both relative and unc paths, nothing works. Even using something as simple as an xref'ed forest pack object from a preset causes this error in DR. If anyone knows the solution to that, it would be a tremendous help. If this is an isolated incident, I'll post more information to help resolve the problem.

2018-03-05, 13:05:47
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That's definitely odd.
I have just loaded a random model from https://threedscans.com/ and then checked the file sizes. Here is what I am getting:
-empty max file - 700kb
-original geometry loaded into the empty scene - 434mb
-geometry converted into cgeo - 704kb

Are you sure that when you are converting to the proxy, you are actually replacing the original mesh with the proxy, and not keeping both objects in your scene?

It would be best if you could share with us a scene where this can be consistently reproduced, and then let us know what's the file name - https://corona-renderer.com/upload
(please be sure to include the original mesh to be converted to a proxy)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us