Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088541 times)

2018-06-28, 20:55:21
Reply #1125

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any plans to include fstorm conversions?
Yes, when there is a public demo installer I can download and use for the conversions (or someone pays for a license :D )

Youre able to get the installer from the developer direct

2018-06-28, 20:58:18
Reply #1126

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I'm pretty sure that he's not very keen on providing an installer for someone who's making software to turn fstorm scenes into scenes for competing renderers. Since I don't lie about my intentions I will spare his and my time and wait for an official public installer.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2018-06-29, 00:33:19
Reply #1127

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that he's not very keen on providing an installer for someone who's making software to turn fstorm scenes into scenes for competing renderers. Since I don't lie about my intentions I will spare his and my time and wait for an official public installer.

I totally didnt think of that haha

2018-06-29, 01:13:32
Reply #1128

Lord Kelvin

• Active Users
  • Pee is stored in the Balls
    • View Profile

2018-06-29, 10:46:50
Reply #1129

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-07-06, 13:21:22
Reply #1130

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-07-23, 15:46:50
Reply #1131

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We are currently trying out the max corona 2 demo and want to try the scene vray converter with some dosch 3D car models we have. But when we run the script it just comes up with a load of red materials - essentially not doing anything. As far as I understand you dont need vray to do material conversions with Corona 2? Any ideas why our conversion isn't working?

Thanks

2018-07-23, 15:48:59
Reply #1132

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Corona 2 does render VrayMtl natively, I'm not sure how many other materials from Vray but not all of them. The material converter itself is completely separate to that development so you can convert your scene from Vray to Corona with it but you need to have Vray installed for it (the demo is sufficient).

2018-07-23, 16:12:24
Reply #1133

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks. We are going to try it with the vray demo. We cant get the cars to render natively with corona 2, it just says unsupported material for everything. So maybe the version of vray dosch3D uses might be too old? Just speculation. Going to be a pain to convert them all manually if it comes to that!

2018-07-25, 03:27:31
Reply #1134

oliverhessian

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey, sorry if this has already been brought up, I've tried to find any other references to the same issue but haven't been successful.

The release that has addressed the Vraybump material is working in terms of creating a working corona material however in doing this all the normal maps attached to the Vray bump are removed rather than being re-allocated to the bump slot in the base materials. While it was a pain having to re-wire these (Most Xfrog models use Vray Bump material for trees and plants) at least all the maps were loaded and could be re-wired. Now I have to locate the normal maps for each part of the model and rebuild the bump/normal map components.

Is there any way to fix this? If not what was the last release for the converter before this update that I could use?

Thanks for any help

2018-07-25, 11:28:36
Reply #1135

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
No, I haven't been made aware of this problem before (and it's always better to mention it twice anyways).
I assumed that most of these BumpMtls are used in conjunction with layered materials and other compound-style setups so I didn't really expect that. Adding the override bumps to the Basematerials may work in the simple cases but it will be the exception I guess. The bumpMaterial override doesn't make much sense to me if the baseMaterial is a VrayMtl anyways, and due to the way the converter works I can't cover all sorts of cases, just very explicit ones. I will make a note to add a checkbox for converting BumpMtls in the future, so you can just deactivate it.

I've attached the 1.40 version that does not have this BumpMtl conversion yet.

2018-07-27, 04:19:36
Reply #1136

oliverhessian

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the response and link to previous version. I'm not sure why the materials are wired that way. It looks like it may have saved time as a bump is added at the end of the material tree rather than potentially multiple times in the layered materials but I can only guess.

2018-08-09, 19:45:10
Reply #1137

juliano.lisboa

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello, now that the Fstorm has been released, could not implement the conversion of it?

https://fstormrender.ru/download/

2018-08-11, 13:18:48
Reply #1138

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, Fstorm conversions are planned, I just can't say when I get to it.

2018-10-08, 13:18:11
Reply #1139

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I'm having a look at fstorm right now to determine the best approach for conversions... however I'm not really sure how useful all of this is. My personal "goal" of the converter is that each render engine conversion should yield a usable result - a one click solution with as few necessary adjustments from the user as possible.
What I see so far is that fstorm materials are rather "spartan", which is fine, because that means it's easy to translate. The maps, however, are pretty much all custom and either different or complete remakes of the max ones (like noise, output, falloff, gradient etc) with different settings which makes it basically impossible to get proper conversion results.
So, if there are any Fstorm users here I would be happy to hear opinions about that and what you think would be a useful conversion for you.