Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524270 times)

2019-07-19, 16:39:12
Reply #660

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
+1 for microdetail, with bump, or anything. But to me that would be at the top of the list.

This x100000

I've been spoiled by how well FStorm handles bump mapping, and bitmap filtering/sharpness in general. Perfect example is how you can create an anisotropic metal just by using bump maps (and it doesn't break at different resolutions/zoom levels).

Even with 8K wood floor bitmaps for example, for some reason Corona just can't get as sharp without the material turning to a blur at a slight distance, while FStorm retains full detail. I've done a 1:1 comparison and the difference is night and day.

Could you please post the comparison in separate thread if you ever get the time ?

I am really super interested in this. Bump strength and texture filtering are greatly important and annoying to me. I've been using the 'Bicubic' filter in CoronaBitmap lately and BumpConverted to circumvent these issues but I don't think I am very satisfied.
Things still look very flat tome.

I would be very grateful, imho this is super important because it's such a basic and I feel we are still in middle ages with it (in general).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-07-19, 16:48:30
Reply #661

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for microdetail, with bump, or anything. But to me that would be at the top of the list.

This x100000

I've been spoiled by how well FStorm handles bump mapping, and bitmap filtering/sharpness in general. Perfect example is how you can create an anisotropic metal just by using bump maps (and it doesn't break at different resolutions/zoom levels).

Even with 8K wood floor bitmaps for example, for some reason Corona just can't get as sharp without the material turning to a blur at a slight distance, while FStorm retains full detail. I've done a 1:1 comparison and the difference is night and day.

Could you please post the comparison in separate thread if you ever get the time ?

I am really super interested in this. Bump strength and texture filtering are greatly important and annoying to me. I've been using the 'Bicubic' filter in CoronaBitmap lately and BumpConverted to circumvent these issues but I don't think I am very satisfied.
Things still look very flat tome.

I would be very grateful, imho this is super important because it's such a basic and I feel we are still in middle ages with it (in general).

I remember trying to replicate a fstorm tutorial in corona for brushed metal and unfortunately was limited by the bump resolution for the anisotropy.

2019-07-19, 17:07:45
Reply #662

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, microsurface details, scratches, glints, distorted/directed anisotropy, spectrality ;) ... all this will sooner or later become inadmissible in archvis, product vis, advertising in general. It's the road to full CGI realism. For example, check the details on the latest Toy Story 4 :)

Yup, all this ! Now that we have almost all features (Hair&Volumes shading, Caustics,..) and they are improving the displacement as we speak it's time to bring the focus down to shading.

-The PBR shader and subsequently improve all aspects of it, including BRDF. I can't stand Lambert diffuse shading to start with. Fabric sheen, coating.. then move onto glints, directed anisotropy, etc..

Most of production will move to real-time soon if it didn't already so the only strong point of raytracing will remain absolute photorealism. 

Though I could still use better tonemapping...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-07-19, 17:20:34
Reply #663

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, microsurface details, scratches, glints, distorted/directed anisotropy, spectrality ;) ... all this will sooner or later become inadmissible in archvis, product vis, advertising in general. It's the road to full CGI realism. For example, check the details on the latest Toy Story 4 :)

Yup, all this ! Now that we have almost all features (Hair&Volumes shading, Caustics,..) and they are improving the displacement as we speak it's time to bring the focus down to shading.

-The PBR shader and subsequently improve all aspects of it, including BRDF. I can't stand Lambert diffuse shading to start with. Fabric sheen, coating.. then move onto glints, directed anisotropy, etc..

Most of production will move to real-time soon if it didn't already so the only strong point of raytracing will remain absolute photorealism. 

Though I could still use better tonemapping...

Agreed on all points. Would love some more complexity to the corona material like complex fresnel siger style. Clearcoat for definite and geopattern for fabrics tbh. Im so jealous of the fabrics in fstorm.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-25, 12:13:14 by Jpjapers »

2019-07-24, 13:19:46
Reply #664

rhdesign

• Users
    • View Profile
Count these speed improvement voter guys as GPU/HYBRID rendering votes for that it will solve most of the speed issues .just imagine that this feature was enabled in corona and believe me ten times more people gonna use corona as the absolute rendering solutions for the rest of their lives.

2019-07-25, 12:15:13
Reply #665

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Count these speed improvement voter guys as GPU/HYBRID rendering votes for that it will solve most of the speed issues .just imagine that this feature was enabled in corona and believe me ten times more people gonna use corona as the absolute rendering solutions for the rest of their lives.

Switching to a GPU renderer doesnt instantly mean faster rendering. AFAIK gpu rendering would require Corona Core to be completely rewritten. Im sure Ondra said something to that effect in this thread.

2019-08-08, 12:11:27
Reply #666

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want better Bloom & Glare like Arion FX :'(

2019-08-09, 16:08:54
Reply #667

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com

I'm always interested in glares, do you have an example of what you like more about Arion FX's glare?

2019-08-09, 23:41:13
Reply #668

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Did you check the latest Vray's Glare effects ? I believe those are either identical or very close to those from ArionFx.

If Vray has it, eventually we could have it, they can just take theirs.

2019-08-10, 16:47:18
Reply #669

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I'm always interested in glares, do you have an example of what you like more about Arion FX's glare?

It's more accurate and natural compare to corona, what always or too sharp or too blur what will similar to bloom, also it have dirty lens effect, obstacle map etc. It's also have other features like color fringe.
you can see  examples on site

As Juraj said Vray also have dirty map now

2019-08-13, 00:50:13
Reply #670

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! I tried to create some animation with liquids and stopped on the stap with motion blur.

In the Corona help: "Geometry Motion Blur does not work for geometry with changing topology (changing number of faces, vertices, or normals)."
I think we need some Corona liquids/particles/mesher, etc.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-13, 06:42:58 by tradstown »

2019-08-13, 09:07:09
Reply #671

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! I tried to create some animation with liquids and stopped on the stap with motion blur.

In the Corona help: "Geometry Motion Blur does not work for geometry with changing topology (changing number of faces, vertices, or normals)."
it works somehow actually. phoenix fd example
https://i.imgur.com/Yzck5yQ.jpg

and there is many mesher, what we need just support for foam =3
« Last Edit: 2019-08-13, 09:52:58 by sprayer »

2019-08-13, 10:09:47
Reply #672

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

it works somehow actually. phoenix fd example
https://i.imgur.com/Yzck5yQ.jpg

and there is many mesher, what we need just support for foam =3

Thank you! I didn't know that motion blur working with Phoenix FX. Bud anyway we don't have foam and i think, i mean that we need even more some mesher for all/some kinds of particles. For exemple i working in realflow, it has own meshar, but it is slow and terrible.

2019-08-21, 16:01:01
Reply #673

Mohamad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Two useful feature that I need most!
1- Region rendering in "Extended Corona Interactive"  Like Corona frame buffer - (I mean in viewport)
2- Adding " Corona AO "  as on option in frame buffer tools. I have to us corona texmap for adding AO to my render.

2019-08-21, 21:31:26
Reply #674

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Two useful feature that I need most!
1- Region rendering in "Extended Corona Interactive"  Like Corona frame buffer - (I mean in viewport)
2- Adding " Corona AO "  as on option in frame buffer tools. I have to us corona texmap for adding AO to my render.

Your render already has AO via GI. Adding AO afterwards isnt necessary unless you want a less realistic output.