Author Topic: Coffee And Poly  (Read 6244 times)

2018-03-05, 22:47:21

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I started this project in the beginning of the new year to make an image a week. There's no particular subject in mind for the images but just whatever I found interesting.  This is mainly improve my skillset and learn new and different techniques/software that I perhaps haven't tried or used that extensively previously.  I've been uploading these to Instagram weekly but now that I feel like there's a decent amount of images there, I thought it would be good to upload the higher res images here since all of the images (so far) have been rendered with Corona.

I hope you like these!  If you want to follow weekly, then you can find me here: https://www.instagram.com/coffeeandpoly/ .  Otherwise, I'll update this thread every few weeks so I don't clutter the space :-).

To start things off, this is the profile picture for the Instagram account:

Week 001. Stairs and shadows.  Simple one to start things off

Week 002. Promethus and drapery

Week 003. Cenote

Week 004. Mini World

Week 005. Floating Island

Week 006. Looping squidgy balls

Week 007. Mt Nibel Reactor - a homage to my favourite game Final Fantasy VII :-D

Week 008. Photogrammetry study

Week 009. Sand Dunes
« Last Edit: 2018-04-21, 12:08:29 by stevenchman »

2018-03-06, 16:53:11
Reply #1

Erald

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The sand dunes is awesome!

2018-03-12, 19:23:01
Reply #2

leocv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My behance portfolio
Amazing works!
Sand dunes is my favourite too, very nice!
KISS Principle
Keep it simple, stupid!

www.behance.net/leonardovieira

2018-03-25, 11:26:15
Reply #3

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!  I think the sand dunes was my favourite too :-).

Here's the last three weeks.

Week 010. American Road.  Wanted to play around with some road textures, although the details came out larger than I had expected 😅.  Night version is done through Lightmix.

Week 011. Fruit Splash. Trying out Phoenix FD and Studio lighting set up.  I've since seen a tutorial on how to do this exact set up in Phoenix so I'll probably revisit this later.

Week 012. Long Exposure.  This is a bit more experimental.  I wanted to see how Corona handles motion blur with long exposure.  Interesting result although it took a loonnnnggg time to render and still couldn't clean up all the noise.

2018-03-25, 12:10:52
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think that in the last picture, the noise only adds to the image and doesn't looks too much distracting.
It's nice to see that you choose to do a weekly challenge instead of daily. That way you can deliver more complete works without too much time constraint. Keep them comming!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-03-25, 12:47:27
Reply #5

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:-)  That was the main reason why I chose to do weekly images, although I seem to get quite lazy during the week and end up just doing the images on the weekend only.  :-P

2018-04-22, 11:32:55
Reply #6

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's the last 4 weeks' images guys!  Hope you like them :-)

Week 013. Drill Art.  Inspired by a video from SlowMoGuys, I tried to see if it was possible to do a similar thing with Phoenix FD

Week 014. Parisian Apartment.  This was an old personal project where I was trying to recreate Nina Bersten's apartment in Berlin, but never finished it.  So I took it, and made a few changes with a few Parisian elements. 

Week 015. Parisian Apartment vignette.  Ran out of time this week, so just did a vignette from the previous week's space :-).

Week 016. Campfire on a mountain lake.  Playing around with Phoenix FD and fire sim this time.  Used the latest Corona Daily Build which seemed to work fairly well with it.  Not sure how to embed the video here on the forum with loop, but if you are able to see it with loop, then sorry it doesn't loop seamlessly; it loops absolutely fine in AE and when exported without audio.  But once exported with audio, there's like a stuck frame at the end :-(.  If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be very grateful! :-D
oop=1

2018-04-26, 11:08:33
Reply #7

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Very nice works. Love the Photogrammetry image and Parisian apartment. :- )

Did you make the fire sim in 3dsmax?

2018-04-26, 22:40:48
Reply #8

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks!  Glad you like them.

Yes the fire was simulated in 3Ds Max using Phoenix FD.

2018-04-27, 22:55:42
Reply #9

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-26, 01:51:52 by melviso »

2018-06-25, 22:51:20
Reply #10

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haven't uploaded the last few week's posts, so here they are!

Week 017 - It's wet outside. Was mainly just trying to get a decent floor wet floor texture with raindrops. Got carried away and added some city assets from sketchupwarehouse.

Week 018 - On the bus home. Adding to last week's scene, here's a scenario I've been wanting to try for while now. With Cornelius Dammrich 's rainy displacement maps, this made it so much easier! Also wanted to test out some texturingxyz fabrics. Not so evident here but it's definitely there

Week 019 - la Pavoni Professional PL model. So nice to get back into some 3d modelling and getting those quads working

Week 020 - Cabin in the woods. Recreation of the Bothy Project by Bobby Niven and Ian Macleod.

Week 021 - Coffee time! Was away for Bank Holiday so a bit belated!

Week 022 - It's raining.

Week 023 - Fruity forest! Little fun one playing around with the photogrammetry assets Joana and I worked on for The Boundary Store! And also a cygnet because... Cygnets are cute.

Week 024 - Portal. It's Sunday image time! This week is inspired by the famous Reynisfjara Beach in Iceland and its awesome basalt stone columns. I've adapted it to a sort of fantasy scene where the columns are split to form this portal. The columns are modelled and textured in Zbrush

Week 025 - Cloudy sunset. Experimental one this week. First time trying out #houdini for cloud generation and also using the latest Corona 2.0 RC4 to render the vdb volume. There were a few limitations on Corona's rendering of multiple volumes but hopefully that should improve over time! Houdini is good fun!
« Last Edit: 2018-06-25, 23:01:10 by stevenchman »

2018-06-28, 13:18:21
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Wow, so many amazing things! I would suggest adding new images as single new posts, as then the thread would get updated properly. Right now I think there is no "unread" notification after editing a post.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-07-08, 12:00:53
Reply #12

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for letting me know Maru.  I'll do that from now :-).

2018-07-08, 21:58:19
Reply #13

Buzzz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome, Steve!

Congratulation!