Author Topic: Courtyard  (Read 8859 times)

2015-03-14, 23:22:21

Mz3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any comment / suggestion is welcome :)
« Last Edit: 2015-03-15, 00:12:39 by Mz3D »

2015-03-16, 09:30:39
Reply #1

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
diabalance in sun ang GI

Lack of refleflections

Low quality bitmaps for textures

---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2015-03-16, 11:49:12
Reply #2

Mz3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
how should I re-balance sun and G.I? Give me some suggestions

for the reflections, there aren't reflective materials.. except for the marble, what do you mean for "lack of reflections"?

all the maps are 2048 x 2048 jpegs

2015-03-16, 13:43:22
Reply #3

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
how should I re-balance sun and G.I? Give me some suggestions

for the reflections, there aren't reflective materials.. except for the marble, what do you mean for "lack of reflections"?

all the maps are 2048 x 2048 jpegs

Any material reflects something even dust on the floor, use low glosy values for brick stone etc or reflective maps.

By low quality bitmaps i ment that those look like generated textures not like real stone texture for example something like this

Speaking of disbalance i ment sun burns everything away try firs to lower the value of sun intensity or try to use ibl\hdri for the enviroment
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2015-03-16, 15:30:28
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
How is this scene lit? Shadows are quite strange. Maybe it's scale issue?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-03-17, 01:44:32
Reply #5

Mz3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How is this scene lit? Shadows are quite strange. Maybe it's scale issue?

The scene is lit using a daylight system with a corona sun. The sun is set at 9 Km from the pavement of the scene, its intensity is 1.5 and its size is 32. Date, time and location information have been manually choosen.

2015-03-17, 02:26:44
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The sun is set at 9 Km from the pavement of the scene, its intensity is 1.5 and its size is 32

How did you arrive to this strange values and why did you chose them in first place ?

Sun is basically simulated as perfectly parallel light rays, you don't place in space to simulate physical sun. It's already modeled as physically correct sun.
It definitely doesn't need to be stronger than it naturally is [1.0], and surely not the size of supernova [32]. The softest sun I ever used was maybe 4-5 ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-03-17, 02:38:17
Reply #7

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. The Sun is a directional light, meaning that there's no reason to put it 9km away. Only thing happening is Max screwing up because of the long distance. The physically correct size of the Sun is 1, but numbers as 2, 3 or 4 are often used to make the shadows softer. 32 is way out of range IMHO. Physical correct intensity is 1 (clear sky).

Unless you're working with a very large city model (several km2) I would suggest a Sun distance around 50 - 100m, and for soft shadows I would set the Sun size to 4 and the intensity to 1 or lower. The Corona Sky map I would leave at default settings.

Hope it helps

Edit: not as fast as Juraj, but same message :)

2015-03-17, 03:06:50
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
:- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-03-17, 11:07:58
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Sun is basically simulated as perfectly parallel

nitpick: not perfectly parallel. Sunlight differs from traditional directional light in Corona.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-17, 11:20:34
Reply #10

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
I second the nitpick :)
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2015-03-17, 12:45:01
Reply #11

Mz3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've replaced the Daylight system with a Corona Sun. I've set the sun intensity to 1 and the sun size to 1. I've added an automatic CoronaSky map to the environment slot.

2015-03-17, 12:51:46
Reply #12

Mz3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
By the way, this is part of an animation. As soon as it will be completed, I will post it on this forum :) Give me any suggestion on how to improve lights and materials..

2015-03-17, 13:06:31
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sun is basically simulated as perfectly parallel

nitpick: not perfectly parallel. Sunlight differs from traditional directional light in Corona.

I was 100perc. sure this would get corrected, and I am aware most stuff is slightly more realistic but I thought for argument sake I could as well just simplify it to such point :- )

2015-03-17, 14:23:19
Reply #14

Mz3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Someone could explain to me the difference between using an HDRI image as the source of light and using a Corona Sun? An HDRI image seems to give a more realistic result but is it possible to have strong shadows using this method? This is a render obtained using and HDRI map as environment (with the Corona Sun turned off).

« Last Edit: 2015-03-17, 14:43:11 by Mz3D »